Car Talk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
That's about time, it can't hurt to have something to compete with the Lexus and others.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I didn't think the US carried the models that came with that much HP, only the European models? Has that changed for 2015?
Lot of power for such a small car!

S5 tap'n
Yep... It's all changed with the "One Ford" approach. So yes the US is getting the Focus RS for the first time. All performance models fall under the Ford Performance banner now. So no more SVT models sadly, but will allow for some things not seen here before. Exciting times for Ford fans.

Reactions: cr6

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Yep... It's all changed with the "One Ford" approach. So yes the US is getting the Focus RS for the first time. All performance models fall under the Ford Performance banner now. So no more SVT models sadly, but will allow for some things not seen here before. Exciting times for Ford fans.
Speaking of exciting for Ford Fans, I'd like to see a diesel in the 150, that would be exciting...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'd like to see a diesel in a Prius.

Let me defend that before I get laughed out of here:

I'd like to see a diesel in EVERYTHING. A 4-cyl diesel compact pickup would be an awesome beast, for example. 2.5L turbo with a 6-speed or even CVT? Can we say 28-30MPG with enough torque to move a small boat? And what about biodiesel? Lots of potential there.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Have they been able to hook a CVT to a diesel? I know they are limited by the amount of torque they can handle and diesels put out a lot of torque.

It's not a bad idea as far a looking at it from a mpg standpoint. But I also don't know if a diesel can handle all the starting and stopping that a prius does. Every chance it can it stops the motor and not sure if that's healthy for a diesel.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I'd like to see a diesel in a Prius.

Let me defend that before I get laughed out of here:

I'd like to see a diesel in EVERYTHING. A 4-cyl diesel compact pickup would be an awesome beast, for example. 2.5L turbo with a 6-speed or even CVT? Can we say 28-30MPG with enough torque to move a small boat? And what about biodiesel? Lots of potential there.
What I take from your statement is that you'd like to see a diesel hybrid, and I agree, why not take the best of both worlds.
I personally wish they would redesign the Prius and get those ugly things off the road, maybe that's just me. ;)
I love my diesels, have 3, two Passats and an 01 Ford 7.3. The Passats average mid 40's mpg, much better on long trips.
Have they been able to hook a CVT to a diesel? I know they are limited by the amount of torque they can handle and diesels put out a lot of torque.

It's not a bad idea as far a looking at it from a mpg standpoint. But I also don't know if a diesel can handle all the starting and stopping that a prius does. Every chance it can it stops the motor and not sure if that's healthy for a diesel.
I think you may be onto something about the torque vs a CVT. I test drove a few hybrids w/cvt before buying the Passat and didn't like the whine, or whatever the constant noise was, I've heard you get used to it, but it was a negative in my decision, not huge but a point on the neg list.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If they could pair a CVT to a 3.5L V6 making 290HP (Nissan Maxima) a couple years ago, they can pair it to an I4 making 200 ft-lbs of torque. ;)

But with 8-speed automatics being standard equipment in full-size Dodges, I don't see CVTs making a resurgence any time soon, even with the mandated CAFE increases by 2050. Probably BY 2050, if Detroit drags its heels like it normally does, but you never know. Should see a LOT of diesels, though.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
GTI's aren't my cup of tea. I like american muscle. A V8 rumble over an exotic exhaust.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
GTI's aren't my cup of tea. I like american muscle. A V8 rumble over an exotic exhaust.
Gotta love the sound and power, but sometimes the economy of it overrules.
I'm certainly not an environmentalist, but mpg in the 40's or higher is sweeter than the rumble of my American made V8.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If they could pair a CVT to a 3.5L V6 making 290HP (Nissan Maxima) a couple years ago, they can pair it to an I4 making 200 ft-lbs of torque. ;)

But with 8-speed automatics being standard equipment in full-size Dodges, I don't see CVTs making a resurgence any time soon, even with the mandated CAFE increases by 2050. Probably BY 2050, if Detroit drags its heels like it normally does, but you never know. Should see a LOT of diesels, though.
As a former Nissan tech.. It wasn't what you call.. An awesome marriage.. Tons of those things had to be warrantied out lol..