Car Talk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
SoCal, so black on black looks great, but not good for the warm days, it's 75 today, so BonB would be hot already in the sun.
It's also just me and the wife, kids are on their own now, so care is easier, but granted, lighter is in need of a little more scrubbing from time to time. Her DD is another Passat TDI, Platinum Gray with light Gray leather, it's very nice.

I'm in Florida and the cooled seats work great on hot days. I just can't do tan anymore.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I test drove the new Altima. I don't even know why they are making the Maxima anymore. The Altima was nice enough to kill the Maxima line off.

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have a few toys.

Attachments

• 2014-07-04 14.43.45 (Medium).jpg
    2014-07-04 14.43.45 (Medium).jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 2014-07-25 20.07.13 (Medium).jpg
    2014-07-25 20.07.13 (Medium).jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2015-01-27 16.52.30 (Medium).jpg
    2015-01-27 16.52.30 (Medium).jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 146

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I test drove the new Altima. I don't even know why they are making the Maxima anymore. The Altima was nice enough to kill the Maxima line off.
I thought the same thing. I originally wanted a Maxima when I was car shopping last year, as I had an 02 in the past and loved it. Figured the next best thing was a Altima with the Maxima engine. (much better price too)

Nice toys Mustang!

S5 tap'n

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I bought a Honda Accord Sport this past April.. I wanted something solid and priced well for resale when I get tired of it.. Haha I test drove the Altima at the time it came down to both.. But love the feel of the Honda ride..

I've only tinted the windows so far.. And for my bday got a set of weather tech laser cut mats..

a2b095e217ea400b0678bcf88cee629e.jpg

e28e7f472153fd18987f2b1dc21f25ac.jpg

Tap'd by Big 6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Nice! I almost talked the wife into getting a Honda just like that, but she ended up going with the Altima. Great car though!

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I thought the same thing. I originally wanted a Maxima when I was car shopping last year, as I had an 02 in the past and loved it. Figured the next best thing was a Altima with the Maxima engine. (much better price too)

Nice toys Mustang!

S5 tap'n

I had the 08 Maxima model that I traded in on my Avalon. It had 30k miles on it and was super clean so I ended up with a great trade in. That car was beast. I loved the 3.5l in it but have to say that in Sports mode on my Avalon I don't miss the 6 cylinder at all. Especially since I gained almost 300 more miles per tank with rhe Avalon.

Reactions: cr6

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
We looked at the Altima but the model we looked into had a blind spot that my wife didn't like, then we started looking at Hybrids and diesels, the diesel won due to the long driving and mostly freeway drives plus the Passat fits my 6'4 frame in the front seat and I can sit comfortably behind the drivers seat as well, it's made for tall groups, even the head room with sun roof is great.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm currently trying to figure out if my digital speedometer or the old school speedometer in my car is correct. They vary by +/- 4 mph sometimes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm currently trying to figure out if my digital speedometer or the old school speedometer in my car is correct. They vary by +/- 4 mph sometimes.
Ollie, I'm going to say that if you're moving, the GPS digital speedometer on your phone is going to be far more accurate than the speedometer on your car. Your speedometer on your car may be precise ( meaning consistently accurate to the number of rotations of the wheel and therefore the distance traveled based on the diameter of the tire), and accurate to the diameter of your tire and the pressures that you have it set to. Unfortunately if the tire pressure is off there will be an error in the calculation that will be consistent across all speeds.

Also if the tire is not the proper circumference and diameter as specified by the manufacturer there will again be a consistent error rate across the entire speed.

Finally as your tire wears down over time the rate will be different from when the tire was installed brand new to when the tire is removed and replaced because the diameter of the tire will have changed from new to replace by approximately a centimeter, of not more.

On the other hand with the digital speedometer using GPS, even though GPS has a significant error factor when stationary, conversely when moving the error factor diminishes to near 0 because with multiple satellites the calculations that are being done realtime have the ability to iteratively solve for the error factor and make the corrections to determine your accurate speed.

We could also throw in a possible difference in the accuracy of the clock as it pertains to the speedometer, and therefore the indication of miles per hour or kilometers per hour could be affected by that as well. I would venture to guess that the atomic clocks to which are cell phones are set is going to be more accurate than the clock in your car which the speedometer uses in the calculation for miles per hour or kilometers per hour accordingly.

I know for a fact that my car speedometer indicates I'm traveling at approximately two and a half miles per hour faster than I am. I have also seen that ratio or difference between the two get narrower and wider right before and right after the replacement of a tire.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Drive past a cop, roll down your window and ask him if you're speeding.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I used to have a navigation app on my phone that showed MPH and it was dead on with the regular speedometer in my last car. I can't remember which one it is though. I could always compare that way.

My tires/tire pressures are stock and inflated to the proper manufacturer's suggested pressures.

Either both the digital speedometer and the regular speedometer are both wrong in my car or I am the only one who drives the speed limit.

My wife swears this is the case too since she says everyone else passes her as well when she occasionally drives my car.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia's HERE map app shows speed on their Playstore screenshots. I'm going to give it a whirl this afternoon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Picked up a 08 TL about 6mo ago, but finally put some new shoes on it. Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS plus, holy moly my car feels completely different compared to those beat up Dunlops that were on it. Coming from a Civic, I thought the TL on those Dunlops were a step up, these new tires take it another step further.

First rain of the year today so get to test them out on wet roads too now.