Car Talk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I searched and didn't find a good car thread. I'm sure some of you have a passion for them as well. That said, I created a thread for everything automotive.

I recently purchased new tires on 1/30 and don't like them. I contacted the retailer, who stated they would refund them. When they were mounted, I got an alignment. I'm getting another set later this week. Do I need another alignment when the new tires are mounted?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
No you should be good. The alignment isn't affected by removing the wheels. At least it shouldn't be. But they should be balanced again... But I assume they'll do that anyways

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Excellent idea for a new thread! Just to confirm what @jstafford1 posted, a new set of tires on the same wheels should not affect alignment at all. If you change wheel & tire size drastically (bigger or smaller) then that changes the suspension geometry and a new alignment would be a good idea. Putting new tires on the same wheels should not change alignment. Any reputable tire shop will always balance a new set of tires before installing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Also consider directional tread not being installed in the right direction for all the tires possibly throwing the handling off on the old set. But with a fresh alignment, provided the tech did it right, you should be good to go!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Excellent idea for a new thread! Just to confirm what @jstafford1 posted, a new set of tires on the same wheels should not affect alignment at all. If you change wheel & tire size drastically (bigger or smaller) then that changes the suspension geometry and a new alignment would be a good idea. Putting new tires on the same wheels should not change alignment. Any reputable tire shop will always balance a new set of tires before installing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
You didn't add... Wider or narrower.. Even in the same wheels... If you go a lot wider or narrower.. You "can" throw off your alignment.. Especially in turns..sidewall flex being a large part but not all..

And if they don't balance your tires... Man I'd deal with someone else.. I hate shops that don't do the "little" things to make sure you get Decent service..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I haven't seen those balancing weights on car tires recently. Have they moved to something new?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The last two sets I bought, they put them on the inside of the wheels...where you can't see them and they don't make your nice wheels look ugly.

That's what I am talking about. Makes better sense.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Modern tire tech has been getting better about balanced off the line -- I've had to have weights put on both sides to balance the wheels, though, so that's a consideration.

I have a 2000 Dakota 3.9L 4WD I need to have the entire rear end rebuilt on, or possibly the rear axle replaced because of the previous owner being an idiot. For example, I changed the oil and found a bottle of 15w-50 in the cab. I'll let that sink in.

Had the truck maybe 4 months and the HID headlight kit he'd installed went bad. Luckily I wasn't driving at night when I found that out. Hasn't moved since the summer at this point since I can't afford to get the work done that needs doing.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Balancing on the inside or the inside and center of your wheels is called a static balance.. Been around for some time.. When they do that be sure to drive your car at 70 make sure all feels right.. Their balance machine has to be in good calibration for that.. Its don't so wheels don't have ugly wheel weights on them..

Let's get away from tires lol.. How many pages have I written about this in the back room?? Ugh lol

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah enough about tires...I need some rims. Preferably some that don't break the bank since it really is just a cosmetic thing.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah enough about tires...I need some rims. Preferably some that don't break the bank since it really is just a cosmetic thing.
Nooooooooo.. Rims are so much more than cosmetic.. Or can be.. For looks.. Just get a one piece cast wheel.. Chromed or polished... For function.. You want billet aluminum, 3 piece wheels that can actually be taken apart.. :)