Browsing During Phone Call

MikeDroid

Reaction score
Yep I can all and surf so the poster who shared ""s verizon..not an app. they run off of a CDMA network and it doesnt allow it.only GSM networks(ones w/ sim cards-t-mobile and at&t) can do both at the same time." is..... WRONG! :)

xandor

Reaction score
To the PP, do you happen to be on wifi at the same time? You most certainly cannot do voice and data at the same time on cdma.

jwd45244

Reaction score
Yeah, if its a CDMA phone you gotta be connected to wifi in order to both talk and use data at the same time.

Besides browsing the web, this kinda sucks for using the droids turn-by-turn navigation while your on a call. The droid caches your route, but if you happen to veer of-course while your on a phone call, it cant download new maps and directions to get you back on track until you end your call.

Once you get off the off the call and Google Navi sees you are not on the route, it will get the new routing data. Might take 10 or 15 seconds

Sidewind

Reaction score
Yep I can all and surf so the poster who shared ""s verizon..not an app. they run off of a CDMA network and it doesnt allow it.only GSM networks(ones w/ sim cards-t-mobile and at&t) can do both at the same time." is..... WRONG! :)

It is absolutly 100% impossilbe to surf and talk at the same time on 3G with verizon. This has had about 1000 posts and every single person that has said they can do it later came back to say..oh i was on wifi at the time..That is the ONLY way you can surf the web and talk at the same time with verizon..if you are saying you are talking and Online at the same time using 3g take a video of it and prove it guarantee yoru wifi icon will be up top where the 3g icon usually is

OP
Fullenwider

Fullenwider

Reaction score
My question was answered early in the thread.
You can as long as WiFi is connected.
I knew I had done it. I was afraid I had downloaded an app that was conflicting.
I remember doing it just about like the example given "looking up places while on the phone".
I have made calls while using the Navigation Program, the only thing I don't like is that it will continue giving audible directions over my call while I'm talking. It never went off route that I can remember.

Thanks!

VitsDroid

Reaction score
On AT&T you can tether and talk at the same time. That is the difference and real advantage.

only if you have 3G, if you dont then it wont work, and looking at the map with 3G coverage on att, it isnt that often, and even if you can I have seen reports of people getting dropped call all the time with att.

The advantage would be to actually be able to use the service, many cant because of att's poor service. Thats why they were rated in last place in consumer reports.

This will be a possibility on Verizon when they get 4G.

Anomander

Reaction score
If your on WiFi you can surf and talk on the phone at the same time. I also do not see the point of surfing and talking to someone.
Lets say you are talking to a friend and want to search for restaurants using the 'where' app, you could browse, look up or Chinese, American ect and share the info re: where a good place to meet.
Yea I get what you can do, but in the month I've had the phone have not needed to do anything like that. I usually know what I want to do before I call. I'm sure sometime soon I'll be doing both talking and surfing at the same time.:)

Reaction score
I can call and surf on my droid phone at the same time, using skype phone that is though. But hey it still works.

praeceps

Reaction score
Well, if you're conected by WiFi, you should be able to. It is a real issue... it'll all be a moot point by June. By then every network will have the same kind of 4g and it'll be possible on any network.

abeber

Reaction score
Honestly, with no intention of being rude, come on now! Why do you need to "surf the web" while online? A few short years ago the biggest break through on cell phones was a flip open screen and text messaging abilities. Now having a cell phone is like having the world of information literally at our fingertips. Yet, people still complain about things like surfing the web while making a call? Why would you need that? If you need to get some information from the web while on the phone I do actually have the answer for you! Example shown below.

You: "Ah I have the sudden overwhelming urge to surf the web right now!"

Person on other line: "What should we do about this?"

You: "Here is an idea, Ill get this web surfing craving taken care of then ill call you right back!"

Person on other line: "Great idea, why would I want to stay on the line while you play on the internet anyway. At first I thought we couldn't be friends anymore cause you can't play on the net and talk to me on the phone at the same time. But its OK you can just call me back!"

See, friendship saved, problem averted. Hope this helps you solve this overwhelming issue!

viperboy

Reaction score
I know it was answered, but I will clarify a little. What was said is correct. You cannot browse the internet and call at the same time with the current CDMA technology that Verizon uses, you would HAVE to be on WiFi to use data while on a call. EV-DO (Evolution Data Optimized) can't support data and voice at the same time.

There is another type of CDMA technology called EV-DV (Evolution for Data and Voice) that allowed CDMA to do this. However, that won't be coming because of 4G. 4G will allow simultaneous voice and data.

Yeah, if its a CDMA phone you gotta be connected to wifi in order to both talk and use data at the same time.

Besides browsing the web, this kinda sucks for using the droids turn-by-turn navigation while your on a call. The droid caches your route, but if you happen to veer of-course while your on a phone call, it cant download new maps and directions to get you back on track until you end your call.

I agree. I wish that it would load the whole map of your trip with all the turns and info and when you answer a call through BT, the map would stay up and your GPS info would update. The GPS can be used while on a call, unlike data.

Well, if you're conected by WiFi, you should be able to. It is a real issue... it'll all be a moot point by June. By then every network will have the same kind of 4g and it'll be possible on any network.

First off, I don't believe every network will have 4G up by then. Secondly, I would REALLY doubt that those networks who do have theirs working will have phones out that use 4G then. It's too early.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This is about the 4th time the same topic has been brought up. Do a search.

I can't imagine people need to surf the web while on a call so often its a huge deal. Just tell the person youll call them back, or text them. Or use wifi, or skype.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
On AT&T you can tether and talk at the same time. That is the difference and real advantage.

Doesn't come close to making up for a crap network....

eodguy2

Reaction score
I just did and wasn't on wi fi. Just put on speaKer phone, hit home button,then surfed while listening to phone call...

1stdroid

Reaction score
It is not possible to be in an active call, speaker phone or otherwise, and surf the net using the same connection.

If you have a wireless connection, you can make calls and the droid will use te wi-fi radio to simultaneously surf the web.

If you were in a call and opened a web page without wi-fi, you were merely opening a page that was cached in your phone.

My point is, who cares? I can't imagine that being critcal. If I was in a call and needed to locate a restaurant, or whatever, I would hang up, get the information, and send the page to my friend. If they couldn't receive it, I'd call them back with the information.

Ya, that happens to me everyday......not.