Browsing During Phone Call

Medicineman

Reaction score
Just got my Droids today. I can talk on the phone and surf the web. I was using the Google navigator and my wife called me using her cell phone. My phone rang and we could talk while the navigator kept going. You can do this in southcentral Kansas.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just got my Droids today. I can talk on the phone and surf the web. I was using the Google navigator and my wife called me using her cell phone. My phone rang and we could talk while the navigator kept going. You can do this in southcentral Kansas.

Navigator doesnt use data if the maps have been downloaded. It is technologically IMPOSSIBLE to use data and the phone at the same time on a CDMA network.

DaytonaZ33

Reaction score

I don't want to sound rude or condescending but no you can't. Don't argue this because you aren't going to win. It's been established as fact as much as gravity has been established as real. If you are on a call, you cannot use data services on Verizon's EV-DO network. You were either on WiFi or had the browser page cached. As stated before, navigator will still work just not downloading new maps while on the call.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you really want to verify that you can do both then try this: find a large file to download -- something that will take several minutes. Start the download on your Droid or the tethered PC. Attempt to place or receive a call while the download is taking place.

The whole problem with saying "I can surf the web and talk on the phone" or "I can navigate and talk on the phone" is that neither actively uses your data connection for the entire time. A call can certainly come through in between moments where you're sending or receiving data. That, however, is not simultaneous voice and data. It may seem that way from your perspective but the Droid is doing one or the other at a given moment. Depending on how much you're using data it might seem like it's effectively the same thing but it's not. The download test should clearly demonstrate that you can either use voice or data but not both at a given moment.

A. Who doesn't know where every Chinese restaurant in their town is.
I don't but I live in Houston and we have a huge Chinese population and many, many Chinese restaurants -- easily 500 or more. Why would I memorize where every single one is located?

B. "What do you want, I'll order it" as you need to hang up the phone to call the place anyways
Depends on the place. I can order from certain restaurants online. I can reserve tables via Open Table for restaurants that work with it.

I'm not arguing for whoever you're replying to. Just pointing out that you have to be careful when you assert generalizations like that.

As for those commercials we've all seen showing our red map falling apart and saying "wow we can call and surf"... who cares ha
Some do, some don't. It's a subjective matter. That said, there are a lot of people that weren't aware of the "problem" before Luke Wilson told them about it. That doesn't, however, mean that simultaneous voice and data isn't useful to some. Again, be careful with generalizations and assuming that everyone's wants/needs are exactly the same as yours.

Last edited:

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Navigator continues to run fine it you get a phone call. In fact it talks right over the call which is very annoying. It caches map data for your route, but it can not use data when you are on a call.

pudah

Reaction score
Try this (as it is how I noticed mine doesnt way back when after immediately forgetting it wouldnt, and also the one reason I wish it did). Take a call from someone and put them on speaker phone. Then open maps so you can give them directions to where you are or find where they say they are and give them a detour if stuck in traffic, etc. Good luck on opening the map. It may show what is cached, but if you search for anything or move it, you're boned and out of luck.

former_iphone_user

Reaction score
you do not need wifi to talk and surf on the web with the motorola droid. i can be surfing the internet, answer a call on the phone or bluetooth, and use the gps at the same time. it helps when your sitting in the passenger seat and have a car charger.

gps is stored when you first download it. and for surfing on the web while on the phone, all you have to do during conversation is hit the "home" button. slide the apps arrow up, and hit browser. EVEN WHILE YOUR WIFI SETTING IS "OFF"

i travel all over michigan, ohio, indiana and never have any problems in the car multitasking with the phone. also you can multitask tons, like listen to music while surfing the web.

slinky

Reaction score
Fact is you CANNOT talk and download/upload data via the wireless internet at the same time. Anyone who tells you they can and they do it is not to be believed. The network doesn't work that way.

Try surfing on the browser (unless you're on the ground using WiFi) and you browser won't connect. Fire up yelp when you're on the phone to get the address of the place to meet - does not work.

Having both working at the same time is something I really miss from the iPhone. There are many times I wished it worked like it had in the past. Unfortunately it's what CDMA is and nothing is going to change that as of the foreseeable future. There are some benefits to CDMA too although this is one area it's lacking. Just accept it.

pudah

Reaction score
you do not need wifi to talk and surf on the web with the motorola droid. i can be surfing the internet, answer a call on the phone or bluetooth, and use the gps at the same time. it helps when your sitting in the passenger seat and have a car charger.

gps is stored when you first download it. and for surfing on the web while on the phone, all you have to do during conversation is hit the "home" button. slide the apps arrow up, and hit browser. EVEN WHILE YOUR WIFI SETTING IS "OFF"

i travel all over michigan, ohio, indiana and never have any problems in the car multitasking with the phone. also you can multitask tons, like listen to music while surfing the web.

But you arent doing any of that simultaneously. You're doing one, pausing and doing the other, then resuming. Its not the same.

unclebill

Reaction score
CDMA is somewhat similar to spread spectrum like the military uses. The Verizon network is basically an overlay of their existing voice network ... more software than hardware related. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM ... a separate frequency for Voice and a separate (much higher) frequency for data. (That's what allows Voice AND Data usage at the same time.) The Verizon 3G data and voice signals are one and the same - regardless of transmitter frequency. Also, unlike AT&T and T-Mobile, they don't have to be concerned with the frequencies used at adjacent cell sites. (You will notice that the "hand off" ... the switch between cell sites .. is almost always noticed during a call when using the AT&T network and is imperceptible when using Verizon.) The AT&T and T-Mobil data and voice signals are separate. Verizon's 3G coverage is almost identical to their Voice coverage. (Where they don't have 3G coverage, it's almost entirely because theu haven't provisioned the cell sites for that.) AT&T and T-Mobile cannot possibly have identical voice and 3G coverage because it is separate transmitters, antennas and frequencies. That's why AT&T suppliments their 3G coverage with thousands of low power WIFI sites in restaurants, malls and other popular locations.

former_iphone_user

Reaction score
to slinky and pudah

right now i'm talking to my brother on speakerphone and guess what????????

i'm typing this message to you. it does work. no wifi or nutn.

sorry you're having problems with your phone and your ego of knowing everything.

DaytonaZ33

Reaction score

sorry you're having problems with your phone and your ego of knowing everything.

You are doing something wrong. You are either on WiFi, or loaded up the webpage before starting the call, and the message was sent the second you ended the call. You are not special. You are not the one person in the world who can talk and use data services at the same time on CDMA.

Stop arguing this, you are making yourself appear stupid.

pudah

Reaction score

To iphone user. You are either lying or not paying attention to what is being said. You can view cached items, and open multiple apps while in a call. For example, I can be on a call and open the browser. If the browser has a page already open or in the memory, I can view it, and even manipulate it (i.e. add text into a reply field). I would not be able to refresh the page, submit any form and have it load, or load any new data in any way, shape or form. Your Droid doesn't magically run on a GSM network while the rest of us are on CDMA. It is not anything that can be unlocked. It is not a function of rooting. It is not possible. Please do not respond to this with any more nonsense about how you can use data and voice on your Droid simultaneously. On a side note, I crap out gold bars and have x-ray vision.