Hit control buttons during phone calls

OP
S

Steeler6

Reaction score
Ok everyone. Try this. Put the Droid up to your left ear instead of your right. I tried this and it seems to work. First I called myself from a landline and put the phone to my right ear...the phone lit up while it was to my ear, which meant I could easily (and did easily) face dial. When I moved the phone to my left ear, the phone never lit up. I have been using the phone with my left ear now for about five days and have not accidentally dialed yet. This was after I got one more replacement Droid that instantly started face dialing. The problem obviously has to do with the sensor and something about my head and the way I held the phone to my right ear. I don't quite get it, but it seems to work. I'd love to know if this works for others having the same problem.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I really don't understand this problem. I have held my phone to both ears with my hand, held the phone to both ears with my shoulder, held phone to my ear with a pillow, walked and talked, even was able to answer a call jogging on the treadmill last week with the screen staying dark through all situations. I know a common thread with the problem is having long hair, which I do not have, but how would that matter? I can even hold the phone a good 1-2inches away from my ear and it remains dark. I know this isn't super helpful, I just find it weird how mine does behave correctly and so many phones tried by various posters here all have not.:confused:

OP
S

Steeler6

Reaction score
Believe me, those of us who are having this problem are equally confused as to how all of our friends and so many posters have never had a problem -- can do everything you said and never lose a call, but we just breathe and it lights up, hits a button accidentally, and our calls are either muted or gone. It is totally frustrating. And when you tell the folks at Verizon, they don't get it and can't replicate it. I'm just hoping this left ear thing continues to work. It's at least an easy fix so I can keep my Droid.

Benton

Reaction score
I can understand and appreciate your frustration. My Droid has not given me the problem and the screen does go off on calls, my wife also has the Droid and same situation...but I am left handed and she is right handed. I wonder if there is some setting or setting combinations that mask a function of screen blanking that if set one way will create this issue and if set another will not. I set up both our Droid's settings so they are identical in this area and would be happy to make a comparison if you would list what your settings are (PM if you wish to do it that way). This is just theory but hoping this may lead to an answer.

Woollyrhino

Reaction score
Screen Suite

Install Screen Suite from the Market. It installs a slide lock on your screen when you are on a call, and you have to manually slide it in order to get to the Call Status screen. My wife was at her wits end until I installed this for her. Definitely worth the $1.99! It even has a suite of products that come with it such as a flashlight and some other things. Hope this helps everyone!

WillySmalls

Reaction score
I had the same issues. Screen Suite seemd to take care of it for me so far. Had it on my phone for about a week now.

jojotally

Reaction score
screen suite has a two day trial offer

I am giving it a try. Have only had the phone three days and keep muting callers. Hope the lock setting duirng calls will work.
Otherwise, :heart:love:heart: my droid!!!

cbass8

Reaction score
This is exactly what's happening to me too. I haven't made a decent phone call since I bought the thing. Gah!

rampage42

Reaction score
Same issue as well, either mute or hang up. Tried screen suite, seems OK. Helps with the calls 100%, but have to slide to end call, price we have to pay I guess.

jojotally

Reaction score
i tried the screen suite two day trial and liked it -- just bought for $1.99. No problems with muting while on calls. I agree with having to slide the unlock when done with the call, but it beats being muted.

OP
S

Steeler6

Reaction score
Wow. Screen Suite does the trick. After months of not being able to stay on calls without dropping or muting, then having to do phone calls with the left ear instead of the right (and still losing a call or two) I tried the Screen Suite and it works perfectly. I think it eats up the battery a little bit, but well worth it to not have to constantly be calling people back because of accidentally hitting the screen. I plug my Droid in every night anyway because I use it so much. Thanks for the suggestion.

phelpsgirl

Reaction score
I have had the same problem! The phone mutes, it tries to call a third person, the dialpad comes up and pushes buttons, and this happens about 90% of the time on my phone calls! I have tried holding it differently and that doesn't seem to help. We recently switched to Verizon for the Droid. My husband and I both have one now. I like the Droid but it needs to function first and foremost as a phone. I am glad I came across this post. I downloaded Screen Suite this morning. I have only made one phone call, but so far so good. If the app works it will save the Droid (and Verizon) from being returned.

rampage42

Reaction score
Found another app today called mylock phone. It's in beta but shows promise, a few little quirks. One button touch to answer, once to your ear it locks the screen. Touch the camera button to unlock.
As I was typing this just got notice of an update.
Worth a try.
WOW!! Just tried the update and now is is REALLY BAD!! Don't waste your time just yet. Maybe a few more weeks it will be better, I hope.

Last edited:

katai

Reaction score
i have the same problem, i hit the mute button on about 50% of my calls...

miamidroid

Reaction score
this happens to me too, but I notice its the way I hold the fone with my shoulder. ATleast with me, the problem is that on my shoulder I tend to open the slider ever so slightly and this causes the screen to come on. If the slider had a little more tension then it wouldn't be a problem.. IT IS NOT THE FONE, the proximity sensor is REALLY SENSITIVE so I know its not that. I bet some of you dont notice because when you grab the fone from your ear, you automatically close it, and the slider only has to be opened a really short ammount for the screen to activate it.