Browsing During Phone Call

bnadler

Reaction score
I would think this would become an issue if you wanted to tether your phone. Would I be correct to assume then that you're not able to use your phone as a modem and either place / receive a call at the same time?

If the above is the case, it would seem tethering would be a bit less useful than it might otherwise appear or am I missing something??

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I would think this would become an issue if you wanted to tether your phone. Would I be correct to assume then that you're not able to use your phone as a modem and either place / receive a call at the same time?

If the above is the case, it would seem tethering would be a bit less useful than it might otherwise appear or am I missing something??

Tethering will pause while your on a call.....Just a limitation of a CDMA Network...

Ken

Reaction score
It doesn't happen every day, but in the 6 weeks or so since I've had my Droid there have been several instances where I've been talking, via Bluetooth, and reached fo the phone to look something up on a Web page relating to the conversation, then realized that I can't because I'm on the phone. Like I said, not every day, but two or three times a week, until I got in the habit of not being able to do it (unless I was online via WiFi, of course).

Honestly, with no intention of being rude, come on now! Why do you need to "surf the web" while online?
Talking to a colleague about work, and wanting to look something up on the company Web server... talking to my stepdad trying to tell him how to set up Google Lattitude... talking to a friend who uses an iPhone trying to give him Google Maps directions to help him get un-lost and get where he needs to be... lots of 'em.

Now having a cell phone is like having the world of information literally at our fingertips. Yet, people still complain about things like surfing the web while making a call? Why would you need that?
Uhm, to have the world of information at my fingertips, duh.

If you need to get some information from the web while on the phone I do actually have the answer for you! Example shown below.

You: "Ah I have the sudden overwhelming urge to surf the web right now!"

Person on other line: "What should we do about this?"

You: "Here is an idea, Ill get this web surfing craving taken care of then ill call you right back!"

Person on other line: "Great idea, why would I want to stay on the line while you play on the internet anyway. At first I thought we couldn't be friends anymore cause you can't play on the net and talk to me on the phone at the same time. But its OK you can just call me back!"

See, friendship saved, problem averted. Hope this helps you solve this overwhelming issue!
I've lost two friends this week because I took your advice and tried your suggestion. Now I'm without any friends at all. Thanks.

jonbar87

Reaction score
I don't get the big fuss about it. I've never needed to surf the web that urgently while on a call.

I do.

For example: the other day I ordered a camera for my wife and it was shipped via fedex. To make a long story short, fedex said that it was going to be delivered today (the 30th) but we hadn't receive it due to other circumstances that I won't bore you with. So anyway, I called fedex and asked them about my delayed package. They asked me for the tracking number. I wasn't around a computer. Fortunately, I remembered that I couldn't surf the web and talk at the same time so I had the fedex tracking number page already loaded. But, say I forgot that I couldn't surf/talk at the same time and just went ahead and called them...I then would have had to hang up (after being on hold for who knows how long), find the tracking number, and then call them back. Very inconvenient IMO.

J

Johnly

surfing the web while on the phone is ridiculous. Why didn't at&t sport that commercial earlier? Before the droid, it would have been seen as kinda lame. Funny that at&t is taking one thing, years later, and spending millions exploiting it. I am glad I am not part of that company..he he FT IPhone

I wouldn't mind being able to though..he he

recDNA

Reaction score
I don't get the big fuss about it. I've never needed to surf the web that urgently while on a call.

I do. It's yet another example of Droid doesn't. I just wish the Iphone network had reception like Verizon does. I prefer the Iphone but don't like dropped calls so I'll stick with my Droid.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I do. It's yet another example of Droid doesn't. I just wish the Iphone network had reception like Verizon does. I prefer the Iphone but don't like dropped calls so I'll stick with my Droid.

Droid Does.... sure there's things it doesn't, but surfing the web while on a call is the only 'limitation' that the phone itself won't be able to overcome. It's 2 months old, iPhone is 3 years old. Give the Droid 3 years and see what it "doesn't", my guess is it won't be much at all :)

recDNA

Reaction score
I doubt very much the Droid will be around in 3 years. More advanced phones will replace it by then. In any event I don't care how good the Droid is in 3 years because I have it now. No adjustible font size in Gmail...no voice dialing from Bluetooth...no magnetic clasps in cases...no Flash player videos - in fact very few video codecs supported. There are lots of things Droid "doesn't"

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt very much the Droid will be around in 3 years. More advanced phones will replace it by then. In any event I don't care how good the Droid is in 3 years because I have it now. No adjustible font size in Gmail...no voice dialing from Bluetooth...no magnetic clasps in cases...no Flash player videos - in fact very few video codecs supported. There are lots of things Droid "doesn't"

All things you mentioned can and probably will be addressed in future updates.
Do some research, the DROID will have FLASH 2010, being the first phone to have this. (iPhone doesn't fully support)
Magnetic clasps is an issue? Turn the phone around in the case, so the magnet won't affect it. Simple.
Bluetooth an issue, for those who use it. But I believe this will be addressed soon.
You really think Motorola is going to abandon their most successful phone since the Razor?

Last edited:

mfdbone

Reaction score
Well when I am on Wi-Fi I can not talk and go on the net at the same time, Or do you have to turn off G3, so its just Wi-Fi, I cant find a way to turn it off, is there one or do you have to?
thank Douglas

Medicineman

Reaction score
When I had my Palm Treo Pro on the Alltel network, I could talk and surf at the same time. Then verizon bought alltel. I can still do it, and I live in south central Kansas. When I saw the commercial, I balked, because I could do it!
I also tethered my Treo Pro with my netbook via bluetooth and could talk and surf and tether while my wife used the netbook surfing also. I guess it depends on your location!
You tell me why I could do it????

kristoff125

Reaction score
Actually, Droid does talk and web, as long as you're on Wifi, VERIZON does not.
And as for the idiot who said at the start "What if you want chinese"
A. Who doesn't know where every Chinese restaurant in their town is.
B. "What do you want, I'll order it" as you need to hang up the phone to call the place anyways
C. Thanks for quoting a now overweight luke wilson from those terrible iphone commercials.

bradford88

Reaction score
Yeah, if its a CDMA phone you gotta be connected to wifi in order to both talk and use data at the same time.

Besides browsing the web, this kinda sucks for using the droids turn-by-turn navigation while your on a call. The droid caches your route, but if you happen to veer of-course while your on a phone call, it cant download new maps and directions to get you back on track until you end your call.

haha reminds me of when i was a new truck driver in Atlanta. trying to use a GPS, a nextel, and drive :/ lol. didn't take long before i never ever had to use a GPS again haha. i hate GPSes now they all suck i can navigate so much better by myself. that was my favorite job too :<

tehpriest

Reaction score
I do not surd the web so much but I do take notes and make appointments while in call. I have not had the need to yet since getting the Stone so I am still waiting to see how it handles it.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Who cares. In the past, cell phones were the size of a shoe box and all you could do is make a phone call on them, sometimes. If i am on a call and absolutely need to surf the web at the same time, Ill hang up. As for those commercials we've all seen showing our red map falling apart and saying "wow we can call and surf"... who cares ha