Best Verizon Android Phone

krazzyjman

Reaction score
I am due for an upgrade soon and I was wondering what the best android phone on the market for Verizon was. Or if there is a particular phone I should wait for. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

KenjiWB

Reaction score
Loaded question of the season...Im waiting for the Bionic (hopefully), but you might wanna look into the Thunderbolt, Charge, Revolution, or X^2 and see what works for you. I think most ppl are hoping (as am I) that Bionic will be the 'full package' since the other phones listed are all missing 'something' lol, like 4G, Dual Core, Front Camera etc...

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
You need to figure out what your needs and wants are, and find the phone that best fits those. Since everyone's wants and needs are different, best becomes subjective.

rawr33

Reaction score
Loaded question of the season...Im waiting for the Bionic (hopefully), but you might wanna look into the Thunderbolt, Charge, Revolution, or X^2 and see what works for you. I think most ppl are hoping (as am I) that Bionic will be the 'full package' since the other phones listed are all missing 'something' lol, like 4G, Dual Core, Front Camera etc...

Agreed. I'm in a similar boat (but a little more urgent). After some more research last night, I'm thinking the LG Revolution coming out next Thursday will be the phone for me. My second choice right now is probably the Droid X^2. I've played with the Thunderbolt and Charge; they "feel" big in my hand and I don't love their form factors, plus the Thunderbolt has some known issues that I'm not crazy about.

Some info about the LG Revolution:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/1...verizon-with-netflix-new-black-look-and-bing/
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/05/03/lg-revolution-details-review-hands-on-video-roundup/
(working around preinstalled BING sounds worth it to me!)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to figure out what your needs and wants are, and find the phone that best fits those. Since everyone's wants and needs are different, best becomes subjective.

Just quoted it for a reminder...lol

A perfect example, the Charge. Should be a beast for battery life, but it will not perform as well as other phones, probably will be similar to the Fascinate.

Battery life, screen? I might say the Charge. Better scrolling experience? Might say almost anything else.

Even with the mighty GS2 that is being put up as the best Android phone overall right now, it may have some quirks that some ppl cant overlook. If anyone has a GS2 I would hold on to it for you for a few months to give my honest opinion tho...lol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Agreed. I'm in a similar boat (but a little more urgent). After some more research last night, I'm thinking the LG Revolution coming out next Thursday will be the phone for me. My second choice right now is probably the Droid X^2. I've played with the Thunderbolt and Charge; they "feel" big in my hand and I don't love their form factors, plus the Thunderbolt has some known issues that I'm not crazy about.

Some info about the LG Revolution:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/1...verizon-with-netflix-new-black-look-and-bing/
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/05/03/lg-revolution-details-review-hands-on-video-roundup/
(working around preinstalled BING sounds worth it to me!)

The two issues with the tbolt are battery and LTE. The reboot issues appear to be a 4g thing but not quite sure. The battery issue is a non issue for me and the reboot issues went away when I changed kernels. The only issue left is the LTE but that seems to be affecting all LTE phones on VZW so far. But you are right that the user need to find out what is right for them. Now we have a good selection of Android.devices to choose from. I suggest playing with the devices in the store first. There are people buying dxs on eBay to hold them over until next year when we should see a better selection of Android LTE devices and the fruit should have their next device by then as well.

sent from droidforums app

KenjiWB

Reaction score
Here are some brief notes of the cons (to me), because its easier to compare the negatives since they are all really good phones heh:

Thunderbolt
- Low battery life
- Not dual core
- No HDMI out

Charge
- Not dual core
- 5 MP camera
- Have seen video of its browser lagging often with Flash
- Cheap plastic build (very scratch susceptible)

X^2
- No forward facing camera
- Not 4G

Revolution
- Not dual core
- 5 MB camera

Bionic
- Official stats unknown, but will hopefully not be 'missing' anything.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I'm still using my original D1 that I purchased on launch day in Nov, 2009. Now Verizon is trying to temp me into another 2 year contract with an early upgrade, but I'm not falling for it. My D1 is smoking fast with no lag running Ultimate Droid and I'm not willing to lose my wireless tether, even if I rarely use it. The current crop of phones, with each of their compromises, aren't really enough of an improvement to convince me to upgrade.

I'm waiting for the next crop.

rawr33

Reaction score
Here are some brief notes of the cons (to me), because its easier to compare the negatives since they are all really good phones heh:

Thunderbolt
- Low battery life
- Not dual core
- No HDMI out

Charge
- Not dual core
- 5 MP camera

X^2
- Not 4G

Revolution
- Not dual core
- 5 MB camera

Bionic

That's a pretty good summary. I'm used to having a crap 2mp camera, so even the 5 sounds sweet to me. I think there's a lot more to photo quality than the number, though. (Comparisons I've seen between iPhone photos and some droid devices were an example.) Anyone seen examples or have knowledge of brand history as to which phones may have better overall photo quality?

Zecpull

Reaction score
I am not understanding the need for a Forward facing Camera....do you guys do Phone sex , that much. I bought the X2.. It smokes all the other phones in all the tests. LTE is not perfected in any phone right now.. and not available in my area until mid 2012. The X2 is the Best phone, in that it is a Dual Core, and it has the best Screen, and HDMI out, The Camera is Much improved over the DX..

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Well the question can have different answers
1. If 4g isn't in your area-get the X2(or you could push your luck and wait for the Galaxy S2, but you may be waiting a while.
2. If 4g is in you area and plan to use alot of data- get the Droid Charge(so you'll have unlimited LTE and very good phone)
3.If you have 4G, are a very light user, want the very best phone, and are okay with your current phone for a while longer-wait and get the Droid Bionic (you'll probably have capped data so, be careful not to leave Pandora on)
Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

vzdroid13

Reaction score

Thunderbolt
- Low battery life
- Not dual core
- No HDMI out

Charge
- Not dual core
- 5 MP camera

X^2
- Not 4G

Revolution
- Not dual core
- 5 MB camera

Bionic

That's a pretty good summary. I'm used to having a crap 2mp camera, so even the 5 sounds sweet to me. I think there's a lot more to photo quality than the number, though. (Comparisons I've seen between iPhone photos and some droid devices were an example.) Anyone seen examples or have knowledge of brand history as to which phones may have better overall photo quality?

The Droid Charge has an 8mp camera.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not understanding the need for a Forward facing Camera....do you guys do Phone sex , that much. I bought the X2.. It smokes all the other phones in all the tests. LTE is not perfected in any phone right now.. and not available in my area until mid 2012. The X2 is the Best phone, in that it is a Dual Core, and it has the best Screen, and HDMI out, The Camera is Much improved over the DX..

lol

I thought maybe it would get used alot for self pics to post online. But how good would the pic be?

KenjiWB

Reaction score

A forward facing camera is not a significant hit, I agree, but it is a feature that is present on most phones these days, so lacking one is still considered a negative aspect imo. As far as the need? Of course, no one really needs most features found in phones these days...but, to play devil's advocate, I am in the military, and will be away from my family for a couple months quite soon (and usually have to be away quite frequently). Do you think that I will be using a forward facing camera often to see my kids? You bet :)

As for the lack of 4G, this is a huge hit imo. We all know that 4G is still in its infancy, but it is a technology that is being pushed fairly quickly, and I only upgrade every 2 years. I do not buy phones off contract to 'hold me over' until the next best wave comes out. So it is in my best interest to get the most complete, most future proof device that I can to last me 2 years.

With that said, I am waiting anxiously for the Bionic, hopefully it turns out to be everything Im hopin for!:icon_ banana:

rawr33

Reaction score
I think the FFC would be a fun feature and sweet for staying in touch with out-of-state family.

It seems like the LG Revolution is being overlooked.