Behold the Motorola Atrix 4G

smokiedabong

Reaction score

$300 for a notebook shell if you buy it with the phone or $500 if you buy it afterwards ? They are out of their minds . I bought a i5 laptop for 450$ and that's a full computer . And what is this BS , have to get the data plan + tethering if you get the dock ? Tethering for what ? You are using data on your phone , what are you tethering to ? It's like connecting your phone to a bigger screen and keyboard . If I connect my phone to a TV for a bigger screen do I have to pay for tethering ?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A $200 difference on the shell is probably a red flag, although I do wonder if the capability will improve with future OS upgrades.

I can see $300, grossly overpriced as it probably is, because it's competing with netbooks that more or less start at $300.

Haha, and you have to buy tethering! I was wondering about that because it's the same basic plan and kills that revenue stream. So $200 is essentially an extra AT&T subsidy that they recover in 10 months of gouging you for tethering.

Can't believe Moto is charging $500 for this thing. There has to be some games going on here with AT&T requiring tether (assuming you circumvent that buying retail). But do you get an extra 2 gigs from AT&T? Who could stay under 2 gigs a month on a full PC browser? That's nothing.

No wonder VZW didn't want this thing.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea.....if these prices hold up, we need to thank Verizon for not getting this. And they can keep it if it requires me to get a tethering plan.

hasankamal

Reaction score
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

i can read

Reaction score
ATT is banking a lot on this phone to be their best seller, and with the docking station being the selling point of the phone... but now with the dock at $500 they are about to go under more.

zatchmo

Reaction score
I was about to leave Verizon and make the switch to AT&T for this phone. AT&T is building out in my state, so the coverage is a non-issue, but I don't think I will be moving now if these prices hold up. I'm fine with $199 for the phone, but $500 for the dock? No thank you. That was the real draw to this device for me. I was in at $150, and MAYBE for $200, but not $300 w/ tethering or $500 retail. Forget that. :beer2: Here's to waiting for the next cool phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was about to leave Verizon and make the switch to AT&T for this phone. AT&T is building out in my state, so the coverage is a non-issue, but I don't think I will be moving now if these prices hold up. I'm fine with $199 for the phone, but $500 for the dock? No thank you. That was the real draw to this device for me. I was in at $150, and MAYBE for $200, but not $300 w/ tethering or $500 retail. Forget that. :beer2: Here's to waiting for the next cool phone.

Again, even without the tethering cost, was that dock really worth it when you are capped at only 2gigs a month?

Stick with VZW. I have a feeling the next gen of dual core phones, one of them will end-up being rooted and you'll get similar capability with HDMI out. Heck, that might even be stock.

Although, if you really look at what AT&T has done here you see that the carriers aren't going to give away what is basically home broadband replacement for free, ESPECIALLY with VZW unlimited data plans and especially with LTE. And all it really takes is to plug in an LCD screen to your HDMI port and then connect a keyboard via bluetooth...

It will be interesting. AT&T clearly does not have the 3G capacity, and probably not VZW, either. But it will be interesting to see if they embrace the concept of home broadband replacement with LTE ($60-$80 all-you-can-eat plans). If I was VZW and had the capacity I'd be all over that - a potential doubling, or almost tripling, of data revenues in those LTE markets. Not a bad reason to take a flier on the stock (which by any other measure is richly valued, just as a disclaimer)

zatchmo

Reaction score

Again, even without the tethering cost, was that dock really worth it when you are capped at only 2gigs a month?

Stick with VZW. I have a feeling the next gen of dual core phones, one of them will end-up being rooted and you'll get similar capability with HDMI out. Heck, that might even be stock.

Although, if you really look at what AT&T has done here you see that the carriers aren't going to give away what is basically home broadband replacement for free, ESPECIALLY with VZW unlimited data plans and especially with LTE. And all it really takes is to plug in an LCD screen to your HDMI port and then connect a keyboard via bluetooth...

It will be interesting. AT&T clearly does not have the 3G capacity, and probably not VZW, either. But it will be interesting to see if they embrace the concept of home broadband replacement with LTE ($60-$80 all-you-can-eat plans). If I was VZW and had the capacity I'd be all over that - a potential doubling, or almost tripling, of data revenues in those LTE markets. Not a bad reason to take a flier on the stock (which by any other measure is richly valued, just as a disclaimer)

I probably won't get it now. I looked at my data use-age, and I'm a 4-600 MB/month user now. I figured my usage would increase, but not quadruple. I don't have a respectable laptop, or a netbook. All I do with my laptops is browse the net, email, watch movies occasionally, and IM anyway. It seemed like the perfect solution for me. Unfortunately at those prices, it won't be happening.

So in summary, yes, I will likely be sticking with Verizon until something comes along that actually proves to me that it does something revolutionary, or hugely better than my original Moto Droid.

John_Jones

Reaction score
A $200 difference on the shell is probably a red flag, although I do wonder if the capability will improve with future OS upgrades.

I can see $300, grossly overpriced as it probably is, because it's competing with netbooks that more or less start at $300.

Haha, and you have to buy tethering! I was wondering about that because it's the same basic plan and kills that revenue stream. So $200 is essentially an extra AT&T subsidy that they recover in 10 months of gouging you for tethering.

Can't believe Moto is charging $500 for this thing. There has to be some games going on here with AT&T requiring tether (assuming you circumvent that buying retail). But do you get an extra 2 gigs from AT&T? Who could stay under 2 gigs a month on a full PC browser? That's nothing.

No wonder VZW didn't want this thing.

Hi there i just read some of the posts on the extra you have goto pay for tethering so i just rang AT@T up and asked them about it.. And yes if you say buy the MM dock so you can connect it to your TV and use your phone as the modem to connect to the net you will have to have a tethering plan... But if you have a PC like me that i have my DSL through AT@T and have a wireless router. You can use your phone to connect to your wifi and serf the net you can but the phone in the MM dock and aslong as you use your wifi to access the net. You dont have to pay for the tethering aslong as you use your wifi to access the net on your phone you can use the MM Dock and you wont have to pay the EXTRA for the tethering.. And like most i would not have purchased this phone either, Hope this helps some of you......:icon_ banana:

John_Jones

Reaction score
Well just popped into say as of 20 mins ago us central time i saw a FEDEX truck outside when i went into my house i had a box and when i opened it i was shocked to see a MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G inside... What a suprised didnt think id be getting it till atleast march the 6th so i thought id let you know and get back in the next few days to let you know how it is running,,,,:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

2005CTS

Reaction score
Got my Atrix on the 21st and have been loving it. I also got the Laptop dock, Vehicle Dock and Standard Charging dock. A few thoughts:

- AT&T's network: say what you will - but in San Antonio, TX it kills Verizon. My call quality is much better. I haven't dropped a call yet and am appreciating the number of towers that AT&T has in my area (26 to Verizon's 8) giving me superior coverage.
- The Phone - best mobile phone I have ever owned. Calls are crystal clear, the screen being 4" is perfect in size, performance with the dual core processor is fast and very responsive. I love it!!!
- The Laptop dock - at $300.00 it is expensive - but it is nice. I have used it for work already and have appreciated the thinness of it as well as the convenience of it being able to charge the phone without needing a plug. Over Wi-Fi there is little to no lag at all in the browsing experience. Over AT&T's network is slower than Wi-Fi obviously...but not nearly as bad as some of the reviews claimed. I like it and will keep it for work and pleasure purposes.
- The Standard Charging Dock - this is the one device I feel is over priced. For what it is - I think it is a bigger rip off than the laptop dock. That said - it has nice heft to it, and works great sitting on my ngihtstand as an alarm clock. Once they drop in price I will get a second one for the office.
- Vehicle Dock - this is the hidden gem of the Atrix Experience. It is the cheapest dock available and whith it comes a unique UI for use while driving. I love it. Also - the speaker phone is the best I have ever used. The sound comes through the stereo speakers and the mic picks up my voice very well. Overall great experience. The voice commands work well and are easy to use. One nice thing about this is that the USB cable that charges the device also has a 3.5mm headphone jack for integrating it into the car stereo - so there is just one cord coming down from the dash. Very clean and works great. If buying the Atrix on a budget I would get the phone and vehicle dock and call it a day.

By the way, the phone includes both the micro USB cable for the charger, but it also includes a high quality micro HDMI cable. Very impressive.

The only negative is that the AT&T screen protectors are anti-glare which diminish the overall look of the screen get them somewhere else if you don't like that anti glare look.

Overall - I give this phone 5 stars...and AT&T's network 4 stars. Once they have real 4G - I will give them 5 stars there as well.

If you are tired of waiting for the Bionic or mythical Thunderbolt - go pick up the Atrix ASAP. You won't regret it.

John_Jones

Reaction score
Got my Atrix on the 21st and have been loving it. I also got the Laptop dock, Vehicle Dock and Standard Charging dock. A few thoughts:

- AT&T's network: say what you will - but in San Antonio, TX it kills Verizon. My call quality is much better. I haven't dropped a call yet and am appreciating the number of towers that AT&T has in my area (26 to Verizon's 8) giving me superior coverage.
- The Phone - best mobile phone I have ever owned. Calls are crystal clear, the screen being 4" is perfect in size, performance with the dual core processor is fast and very responsive. I love it!!!
- The Laptop dock - at $300.00 it is expensive - but it is nice. I have used it for work already and have appreciated the thinness of it as well as the convenience of it being able to charge the phone without needing a plug. Over Wi-Fi there is little to no lag at all in the browsing experience. Over AT&T's network is slower than Wi-Fi obviously...but not nearly as bad as some of the reviews claimed. I like it and will keep it for work and pleasure purposes.
- The Standard Charging Dock - this is the one device I feel is over priced. For what it is - I think it is a bigger rip off than the laptop dock. That said - it has nice heft to it, and works great sitting on my ngihtstand as an alarm clock. Once they drop in price I will get a second one for the office.
- Vehicle Dock - this is the hidden gem of the Atrix Experience. It is the cheapest dock available and whith it comes a unique UI for use while driving. I love it. Also - the speaker phone is the best I have ever used. The sound comes through the stereo speakers and the mic picks up my voice very well. Overall great experience. The voice commands work well and are easy to use. One nice thing about this is that the USB cable that charges the device also has a 3.5mm headphone jack for integrating it into the car stereo - so there is just one cord coming down from the dash. Very clean and works great. If buying the Atrix on a budget I would get the phone and vehicle dock and call it a day.

By the way, the phone includes both the micro USB cable for the charger, but it also includes a high quality micro HDMI cable. Very impressive.

The only negative is that the AT&T screen protectors are anti-glare which diminish the overall look of the screen get them somewhere else if you don't like that anti glare look.

Overall - I give this phone 5 stars...and AT&T's network 4 stars. Once they have real 4G - I will give them 5 stars there as well.

If you are tired of waiting for the Bionic or mythical Thunderbolt - go pick up the Atrix ASAP. You won't regret it.
Hi there yea had my phone as said in my last post i just got my HD MM dock yesterday with the keyboard as AT@T dont have them yet in the full package so i went to amazon got the HD MM dock with 10 dolls of and the bluetooth keyboard with 10 dolls off the only thing i got add is the mouse but thats not a proplem as i said the phone works great call quality is awsome up against my last phone the captivate.. Just waiting for my last deliverey that should be here today or tomorrow witch is the otter box case and the screen protectors but as i found out last night that the otterbox case as a membrain protector allready incorperated o well dont matter i will still use them lol...............

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I saw an article or two saying AT&T hasn't really fired up the HSPA+ yet, so you guys are probably still on 3G. So if you like speeds now, you might get double that in a month or two.