Motorola Atrix Heading to Verizon Q4 2011

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's great, Verizon will be getting a year old phone on the cusp of it being replaced with a newer model. Brilliant.

It will probably be a "refreshed" phone, maybe a little better processor (dual core 1.2), step-up the camera, probably have NFC. In other words, your typical marginal refresh. That would be pretty much all I need, with the only next meaningful step to something that really CAN replace a basic laptop.

As smartphones go, there's not much more power you need (never did figure out if half the 1gig ram is partitioned for Webtop). I mean, c'mon, quad-core with 2 gig ram is basically on-par with a lot of mid-tier laptops still out there. And you really don't need more to surf the web and run basic Office apps.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
In other words, I think the Bionic and Atrix are close to everything one needs in a smartphone. I have no interest in the "tweener" phones that will be out in the next 12-24 months that will be way overkill for smartphone use but not enough to replace a PC.

Arachnidus

Reaction score
Uh, this doesn't seem right. At all. The Bionic is Verizon's version of the Atrix, they're almost identical. This makes no sense.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
The Bionic doesn't have Webtop though. I'm not so sure that the Atrix is coming but maybe a phone with Webtop is. Who knows, I don't really care about any Moto phones unless it's the Targa.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

djembeman

Reaction score
Webtops all around!

The Bionic doesn't have Webtop though. I'm not so sure that the Atrix is coming but maybe a phone with Webtop is. Who knows, I don't really care about any Moto phones unless it's the Targa.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I heard that all high end Motorola cell phones will eventually get the webtop app and docks and stuff. Pretty much all the same as what the Atrix does now.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
By the time it gets to VZW, it will be almost considered outdated, if not already. That's a waste of money for VZW to invest into considering there will be a identical phone on the network. But sadly uninformed people will go and buy the phone like it's the hottest thing on the block and it will be far from it.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
With the inevitable death of the Bionic, it makes perfect since now for the Atrix to join the Verizon lineup.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Webtop is a gimmick, nothing more. And Bionic doesn't have enough ram to run webtop. Supposedly all the Moto phones coming out later summer and beyond will have webtop, which would exclude the Bionic if it launches as slated.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else see this as a problem? How phone makers develop phones slightly different for different carriers so that they can basically compete with themselves? And then you have the Atrix from one carrier, beating out your unreleased Bioninc on another to the point that you have to scrap the phone entirely?

How many millions in R&D, QC, testing, marketing, etc.... did they waste?

Motorola should focus efforts on building a small handful of kickass phones. one or two high end, a midrange or two and then a couple basic phones, and sell those to any carrier that wants them. Let people pick carriers not based on the phone offered, but based on the service of that carrier.

So many people, myself included, put up with AT&T for many years simply because they had the iPhone. They have what Consumer Reports rates as the worst network in the country, but we put up with 8 dropped calls a day and dead spots all over town because we wanted a particular phone.

A lot of people were looking forward to the Bionic, and now it is dead. Verizon may get the Atrix, but it will be 6 months after it was released on ATT, so you will get a "new" phone that is already a generation behind.

I wish that things were more like Europe. Where you could buy whatever phone you wanted and then pick whatever carrier you wanted. These multiple technologies, exclusivity deals and binding contracts is just a load of crap.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else see this as a problem? How phone makers develop phones slightly different for different carriers so that they can basically compete with themselves? And then you have the Atrix from one carrier, beating out your unreleased Bioninc on another to the point that you have to scrap the phone entirely?

I agree. Samsung even did this with the Galaxy S line last year. The two GSM versions had TV Out thru the headphone jack. Maybe that had a GSM thing, dont really know. Some Galaxy S phones had different storage amounts...I dont get it.

How many millions in R&D, QC, testing, marketing, etc.... did they waste?

Motorola should focus efforts on building a small handful of kickass phones. one or two high end, a midrange or two and then a couple basic phones, and sell those to any carrier that wants them. Let people pick carriers not based on the phone offered, but based on the service of that carrier.

I dont know why the Droid 1 was only on Verizon or any Android phone is exclusive to any carrier. The only ones to really buck the trend was Samsung with the Galaxy S line.

So many people, myself included, put up with AT&T for many years simply because they had the iPhone. They have what Consumer Reports rates as the worst network in the country, but we put up with 8 dropped calls a day and dead spots all over town because we wanted a particular phone.

A lot of people were looking forward to the Bionic, and now it is dead. Verizon may get the Atrix, but it will be 6 months after it was released on ATT, so you will get a "new" phone that is already a generation behind.

I wouldnt call it a generation behind. If it was an old single core chip I could agree. Even the newer single core chips I wouldnt necessarily call them a generation behind, but they are more closer to it than a dual core phone. For real, Tegra 2 was already getting old when it got put in Android phones. Its been out, its just new to Android phones.

I wish that things were more like Europe. Where you could buy whatever phone you wanted and then pick whatever carrier you wanted. These multiple technologies, exclusivity deals and binding contracts is just a load of crap.

This I agree with 100%

ten characters

rkeller62

Reaction score
Just one liiitttttttlllllee problem with that in the US. Incompatible technologies. CDMA/EVDO is completely incompatible with GSM.

Take the atrix/bionic for instance. Anyone who thinks you can just 'slap' a different radio chip in and make a couple software tweaks has no clue how difficult that 'little' change is.

Also, does anyone think Motorola is happy if they have to scrap the Bionic?? No company wants to drop a product they spent millions on AND announced. However, at some point your just throwing good money after bad.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, no way the Atrix is outdated by Q4. Middle aged maybe, but not outdated. Not with those specs.

The point is that the phone will have been out for 6 months and newer better phones will be starting to come out for the Xmas season.

This fragmentation between the phones and carriers is a pain. If you want the cool phone, you have to go with the crappy carrier. Then when the phone comes to your carrier, someone else gets an even better phone, etc...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about non-LTE phones, and it seems LTE is a bit of a challenge for the mfrs. So in that regard I don't really see what all the fuss is about. TBolt is a pretty good phone and certainly with LTE it's as good or better than what the other carriers have.

I like that the Atrix is dual core and has some decent ram (maybe, if it isn't half dedicated to Webtop). Qhd and hdmi out are a plus. Aside from that, I don't get what makes the Atrix so special.