[ROM] [AOSP][4.0.4][CDMA] Gummy 1.2.0 - 5/9/12 [BETA]

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Oh is it ... then i may have hit the panic button a bit too soon ... i just didn't want anybody to go the SBF way ...

This is what i did ... please point to a wrong turn i may have taken ...

I was running Gummy ROM for a couple of days without issue ... then i read about the JC's defy ported recovery ... i thought i would update only the recovery ... hence i flashed dettofatto's bootmenu zip ... the blue light recovery was flashed successfully ... but i ended up with 'recovery boot loop' ... i tried to restart from the recovery so that i could boot into my Gummy ROM normally ... but was not able to ... then i flashed JC's 'old clock recovery' zip ... i flashed it successfully ... but wasn't able to boot into the phone running Gummy ROM ... tried r+m+power combination ... but could not access the stock recovery as '@' key did not respond ... and i didn't know that i had to press both the vol buttons :(

Then i started CLEAN ... i SBF'd back to froyo today morning and ran all OTA updates ... rooted ... installed CWM through boot strapper and installed JC's latest CM7 alpha build ... tested it a briefly ... then i wanted to go back to Gummy ...

i flashed the Gummy ROM through JC's defy ported recovery(which was really coooool) ... installed Gapps ... rebooted ... but my phone would just not go beyond the motorola logo ... then i invoked r+m+power stock recovery ... invoked both the vol buttons simultaneously ... cleared data/cache ... but the reboot would just not go beyond the motorola logo !!!

This is when i returned to a clean ... SBF ... again ... and posted a CAUTION note ... having SBF'd twice in a day ...

Can you please point to the place where i may have made a mistake ?

Not to be offensive, but I think you did something wrong. I've gone back and forth between Gummy and CM9 several times without ever getting stuck on the Motorola logo.

The only issue I've run into with using both ROMs is that they each use a different version of CWM recovery, so the Nandroid backups don't work if you don't have the correct recovery. For instance, if I am currently on Gummy, and want to switch to CM9, I can't simply restore my backup of CM9 that I made before I flashed to Gummy. Instead, I have to flash CM9 as a new install, then go back and restore the backup. It's an extra step, but it's not that big a deal, since it's only a few clicks here and there.

Freak4dell ...

1. Can you please confirm if while flashing Gummy ... coming from cm9 ... does the defy ported recovery stays or did it go back to the old CWM recovery ???

2. Was it accessible when a 'boot to recovery' was issued from within the Gummy build ?

3. When you test CM9 ... coming from a Gummy install ... do you flash cm9 from JC's defy ported recovery accessed from within Gummy ?

thanks,

Last edited:

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't point to where you made a mistake. There's a ton of variables, and it could even be as simple as a botched download, which wouldn't have been your fault (though MD5 checks are supposed to verify this). Did you make sure to wipe before each flash? When going from different ROMs, I always make sure to wipe everything. Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that I was running CM9 for about a month, then Gummy came out, so I figured I'd try that. Wiped and flashed that, and it worked just fine. I came back to the U.S. a week ago, and found that Gummy didn't work that great with GSM data, so I flashed to CM9, then I flashed Gummy again to try and see if I could get the data to work, but it didn't, so now I'm back on CM9.

1. The Defy ported recovery was not retained. When installing Gummy, the other version of CWM recovery is flashed. I'd look up the version number, but I don't feel like flashing just to do that.

2. Yup, in Gummy, I can boot to recovery from within the ROM. In CM9, this is not possible...you have to wait for the blue light.

3. Coming from a Gummy install, there is no Defy ported recovery, so it's not possible to flash CM9 from the Defy ported recovery. When I'm going to CM9 from Gummy, I just flash through the version of recovery that Gummy includes.

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't point to where you made a mistake. There's a ton of variables, and it could even be as simple as a botched download, which wouldn't have been your fault (though MD5 checks are supposed to verify this). Did you make sure to wipe before each flash? When going from different ROMs, I always make sure to wipe everything. Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that I was running CM9 for about a month, then Gummy came out, so I figured I'd try that. Wiped and flashed that, and it worked just fine. I came back to the U.S. a week ago, and found that Gummy didn't work that great with GSM data, so I flashed to CM9, then I flashed Gummy again to try and see if I could get the data to work, but it didn't, so now I'm back on CM9.

1. The Defy ported recovery was not retained. When installing Gummy, the other version of CWM recovery is flashed. I'd look up the version number, but I don't feel like flashing just to do that.

2. Yup, in Gummy, I can boot to recovery from within the ROM. In CM9, this is not possible...you have to wait for the blue light.

3. Coming from a Gummy install, there is no Defy ported recovery, so it's not possible to flash CM9 from the Defy ported recovery. When I'm going to CM9 from Gummy, I just flash through the version of recovery that Gummy includes.

thanks for the clarifications Freak4dell ... so as per what you say ... the recoveries are packaged with these ROMS ... every time we flash a ROM CM or Gummy it flashes the recovery its packaged ... If only we could flash one recovery and keep changing the ROMs ... that is how it was on my previous device ... one recovery and forget it ... well its a limitation we have to live with given our locked bootloaders :( i guess ...

But i really hope even Gummy added this new defy ported recovery to their ROM ... that way we can hope to have a common recovery without having to flash a new recovery each time we try/test various ROM's ...

One more clarification ...

Freak4dell ... Have you ever come from a CM7(the latest one) to Gummy ... ???

If anybody here is attempting this ... please post the result as to whether you were able to migrate from CM7's latest build to Gummy Latest build successfully ... or the issue i faced is recreated !!!

I'll go back to Gummy in the meanwhile as i use GSM and the last time i checked both GSM voice and Data worked from me ...

thanks,

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Perhaps you didn't wipe the /system before flashing Gummy from my bootmenu CM7? You should always wipe system, data, and cache before switching from one ROM to another

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Perhaps you didn't wipe the /system before flashing Gummy from my bootmenu CM7? You should always wipe system, data, and cache before switching from one ROM to another

Was that response to my post ? ... I did clear data/cache ... though ... if anyone whilst testing ROM's here happen to go Gummy from CM7 please share ur experiences ... please follow JC's instructions as above ...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yes that was a response to your post. Always, ALWAYS wipe the system too as well as the data and cache :) sorry about your SBFs

OP
13th angel

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

That only really applies to roms with bootmenu. Rom zips format /system but bootmenu interferes with it so have to wipe separately.

dettofatto

Reaction score
Yes that was a response to your post. Always, ALWAYS wipe the system too as well as the data and cache :) sorry about your SBFs

That only really applies to roms with bootmenu. Rom zips format /system but bootmenu interferes with it so have to wipe separately.

All our devs!

Hy!

Thank you for yours job!

Sorry for my OT....

Sent from My Motosola....

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Well I just installed Gummy from my ROM with the bootmenu, I formatted system, data, and cache and it booted fine. That bootanimation with the sound is HILARIOUS! HAHAHAHA! One thing I noticed after looking at the updater-script in your Gummy ROM is that your zips don't actually format the /system although it says it does with the ui_print(" Formatting /system... "); but there's no actual line that says to actually do it

Sorry about your SBFs, aiamuzz :-(

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Well I just installed Gummy from my ROM with the bootmenu, I formatted system, data, and cache and it booted fine. That bootanimation with the sound is HILARIOUS! HAHAHAHA! One thing I noticed after looking at the updater-script in your Gummy ROM is that your zips don't actually format the /system although it says it does with the ui_print(" Formatting /system... "); but there's no actual line that says to actually do it

Sorry about your SBFs, aiamuzz :-(

There u are JC !!!... exactly ... that must have been the problem ... yes I did not format the system(onle cache/data) ... the device that I come from and the official CM builds I have been testing (before the droid pro) did not require us to format system ever ... hence my ommission ... however before I flashed your CM7 ... I did format system as per ur instructions ... but when moving from there to Gummy I did not ... that must've prompted the whole issue ... my heartfelt gratitude to you JC for taking the time to investigate this in spite of ur hands being full ... you are a real asset to this community ... thanks

And thanks for clearing my way to alternately test your builds and forth which I was hesitant until now ...

Cheers!

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

aiamuzz

Reaction score

Hi 13thAngel ... this is really a Great ROM ... people on GSM(american Devices) ... who do not use video recording can use this ROM as your daily ROM ... after my second flash of this ROM(due to the issue i was facing) the keyboard backlight is back ... but a little dim (definitely manageable ... no doubt about that) ... Voice / Data working great GSM) ... wifi too working with data ON ... without issues ... the SMS issue i was facing from my 1st flash of this ROM is working for now (i have saved logcat on the SMS working status for comparison with the log when SMS issue may return) ... ... however the reboot doesn't happen normally and instead boots into recovery ...

all hail and hearty ... for now !!!

13thAngel can you please update your OP with a word of caution for Users coming from JC's CM build ... to specifically WIPE SYSTEM / AND FLASH THE GUMMY ROM IN THE SAME RECOVERY SESSION (WITHOUT REBOOTING AS SYSTEM IS WIPED ELSE SBF WILL HAVE TO BE DONE)

thanks

Last edited:

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Any further developments happening on this ROM ?

A small question ... is this ROM designed to update directly from the settings - phone - system update ... I can see that under system updates it shows a recent date and time it last checked for updates ... !!!

--- Sent from my DROID Pro ---

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Hi,

My Gummy installation keeps dropping GSM data ... I don't have a continuous connection which is not good ... it connects data only as it pleases ... nothing I do enables it, when I need a data connection ... there is no particular pattern ... that I can report to help recreate this data drop issue ... only think I can say out of observation is that the data was pretty stable initially when i first flashed this great ROM ... but I don't know what's gone wrong !!! ... unless this ROM is designed to update over the air and that has changed something from the time I first flashed it ... the update settings keeps displaying the time it last checked for an update ...

13thAngel !!! ... help needed ... if u can spare some time ...

Thnx

--- Sent from my DROID Pro ---

alphanightwolf

Reaction score
for some reason, my phone randomly reboots on me for no apparent reason. any one else run into this problem?