Adobe Kills Flash for the Milestone/Droid!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What do I think? Personally I have the Moto Droid 1 and I do NOT plan on paying for an upgrade for a while. I am very happy with this phone and only see the need for a new one when something amazing comes out (maybe a dual core, front facing camera, hdmi out, qwerty keyboard, 4g if thats coming).

Basically I am rooted and running froyo with flash built in. I do have to say to those who are not rooted and bummed about possibly not getting flash... who cares. Flash isn't that cool. I have only used it a few times to watch south park or the daily show, and even over a good wifi connection its choppy at best. It might be nice for little cheesy flash games or a few flash websites, but your really not missing much. I have not used flash in the past probably 3 weeks so you won't be missing much.

The option is nice, but it's no big deal...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get Hulu to work?

Hulu has all mobile devices blocked IIRC....

There is a sort of workaround. On your browser you change the setting to Desktop.

On Dolphin HD it's in Settings > User Agent. On the stock browser you type in "about:debug" (no quotes) and hit go. It will look like nothing happened, but then hit menu--> more--> settings and scroll all the way to the bottom click on UAString and change it to Desktop.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
It might be nice for little cheesy flash games or a few flash websites, but your really not missing much. I have not used flash in the past probably 3 weeks so you won't be missing much.

That's all a matter of opinion and depends on user preference. Personally I believe the closer a phone can come to replacing the devices around it the closer it comes to being the ultimate device. Important or not, if the function isn't there, it's going to stand out like a sore thumb. I love Newgrounds.com but until recently I couldn't view it. This goes for any Youtube style websites as well that don't utilize the Youtube player app. To me that's a big deal and if you think about it, when multiple elite devices are stacked side by side, it will be the small differences that determine which one sells the most.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok.. if you want to see how well flash actually does work on an unrooted droid1 goto this url on your phone:

[Link removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok.. if you want to see how well flash actually does work on an unrooted droid1 goto this url on your phone:

Link Removed by Moderator.
ran perfect for me, on a so-so 3G connection in my office, and underclocked back to 550 (yes, rooted, but shouldn't affect performance)

Last edited by a moderator:

cellphonedork

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get the latest flash 10.1 for ROOTED Droid? (BB .04 latest)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys. Inappropriate language in the video. Not permitted in the Droid Forums.

Link removed.

microsnook

Reaction score
FYI, i just went to the market to download Angry Birds, which everyone should check out BTW, and Flash 10.1 is still available to download. I wouldn't worry too much about this issue. Even if Flash were to take it off the market, I'm sure there are enough of us D1 users which have a copy of the .apk file that would be willing to share. We will not go down without a fight! :icon_ nana:

Thats right!
D1 is where its at. : D

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
flash or no flash, who cares... itll be worth it when we have something like 4G or better and a blazin fast dual core phone... otherwise flash is not great anyway.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
What do I think? Personally I have the Moto Droid 1 and I do NOT plan on paying for an upgrade for a while. I am very happy with this phone and only see the need for a new one when something amazing comes out (maybe a dual core, front facing camera, hdmi out, qwerty keyboard, 4g if thats coming).

Basically I am rooted and running froyo with flash built in. I do have to say to those who are not rooted and bummed about possibly not getting flash... who cares. Flash isn't that cool. I have only used it a few times to watch south park or the daily show, and even over a good wifi connection its choppy at best. It might be nice for little cheesy flash games or a few flash websites, but your really not missing much. I have not used flash in the past probably 3 weeks so you won't be missing much.

I have to agree with you... overall, I am happy with the Droid 1, when I bought it I realized it was the first version and allot would change quickly. While I am not rooted, I have had fun tinkering with manual updates, apps etc. The whole flash thing is a bit disappointing but what the heck. I have another year left on my current contract and can live with the phone for the duration and then see what is out there. By then, well see how things shake out with emerging technologies and stuff like Google TV,what happens with some of the carriers and competitive smart phone offerings. Don't think what you get with the Droid X or II justifies me going out and dropping a couple hundred $$ to upgrade. You know everyone in the food chain is going to want their pound of flesh and there will be some weird dynamics over the next year as everyone positions themselves, so might as well sit back and enjoy it. Sure next year when I upgrade I'll wish I would have waited a couple more months for the next great thing on the market ;-) I will say that I am pretty committed to the Android OS and where they are heading. This sight is a great example of the high expectations folks have for Android OS, so hack onward, pushing the envelope will only help drive the technology! Hope Google balances the quality of what they are delivering with the time to market on their offerings. Just the Dawg's 2-cents!

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
I wonder if some lawyer out there might want to try and make some money from a class action lawsuit on some inane grounds. I know living on the edge of technology is a dangerous thing, but man I just got this stupid phone in March... and it was EOL'ed by August 6th! That sort of thing shouldn't happen until a YEAR after the last one is sold... imho, of which I only have a few :)

bluezdawg

Reaction score
I wonder if some lawyer out there might want to try and make some money from a class action lawsuit on some inane grounds. I know living on the edge of technology is a dangerous thing, but man I just got this stupid phone in March... and it was EOL'ed by August 6th! That sort of thing shouldn't happen until a YEAR after the last one is sold... imho, of which I only have a few :)

yea, guess one could make that argument... living on the edge has is disadvantages though! Hmmm... now that I think about it, that's what happened with the first wife :rofl3: (humor intended)

Parawood

Reaction score
I don't get the policy

I don't understand why VZW will lock you into a two year term on one specific phone. It would make more sense to me to lock you into the two year contract for service and let you buy any phone you want when you want it. Of course the phones would have to have reasonable pricing not the $600 inflated prices out there now. They would make money on the sale of phones, keep people happier and could provide the best service out there.

Just my humble opinion.

Parawood

I have to agree with you... overall, I am happy with the Droid 1, when I bought it I realized it was the first version and allot would change quickly. While I am not rooted, I have had fun tinkering with manual updates, apps etc. The whole flash thing is a bit disappointing but what the heck. I have another year left on my current contract and can live with the phone for the duration and then see what is out there. By then, well see how things shake out with emerging technologies and stuff like Google TV,what happens with some of the carriers and competitive smart phone offerings. Don't think what you get with the Droid X or II justifies me going out and dropping a couple hundred $$ to upgrade. You know everyone in the food chain is going to want their pound of flesh and there will be some weird dynamics over the next year as everyone positions themselves, so might as well sit back and enjoy it. Sure next year when I upgrade I'll wish I would have waited a couple more months for the next great thing on the market ;-) I will say that I am pretty committed to the Android OS and where they are heading. This sight is a great example of the high expectations folks have for Android OS, so hack onward, pushing the envelope will only help drive the technology! Hope Google balances the quality of what they are delivering with the time to market on their offerings. Just the Dawg's 2-cents!

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
not that this is bad for me, since I have it already, but cant you just download the apk file of flash 10 0nline, rooted or not?? not quite sure/understanding what is going on here thats the main issue.