A little...ok a lot lost....

sunshine81039

Reaction score
So after having a HTC Thunderbolt for a little over and year and having multiple problems with it I was switched to the maxx. I started out really liking the phone since I was able to access the internet and make calls which was the two biggest issues I was having. Now I am noticing that I am having huge problems with the battery life. I have tried a couple of things as far as changing the time out on the screen to 15 seconds and kill my apps regularly. However my battery is dying before 4pm and I am in school from 8-5. Any help with this and any other helpful information would be great! I have been looking over forums since I got the phone but am a little behind it seems. Thanks in advance!

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I've heard that it is a software issue and they are working to fix it. Some tips are don't use task killers they make the cpu work even harder. If you aren't actively using the phone you could put it in sleep mode. Sleep mode is where it turns off all radios and the screen etc just like windows does on our computers.

Sent from a Droid2 Using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's lots of things you can do to help with battery life ... upgrading to .215 has helped alot of people's battery issues to start off with. Then FDR and battery training, etc. We can fix you up, just speak up! :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You can also activate the battery extender in Smart Actions. It will turn off data, Wi-Fi, sync, etc when your screen times out and will turn it back on again when you unlock your screen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

cleave

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
You can also activate the battery extender in Smart Actions. It will turn off data, Wi-Fi, sync, etc when your screen times out and will turn it back on again when you unlock your screen.

+1 on the battery extender, substantially increased my battery life.

OP
S

sunshine81039

Reaction score
There's lots of things you can do to help with battery life ... upgrading to .215 has helped alot of people's battery issues to start off with. Then FDR and battery training, etc. We can fix you up, just speak up! :)

Ok what is FDR and what is .215? And battery training? I literally have had the phone since Thursday and have been looking online since then for help and decided to speak up!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
sunshine81039 said:
Ok what is FDR and what is .215? And battery training? I literally have had the phone since Thursday and have been looking online since then for help and decided to speak up!

The first thing to do would be an FDR -factory data reset. It erases everything on your phone so it is like new. As a guide for ideas to save and back up then restore before doing an fdr see: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

The second thing is to install the .215 which is a better ICS version but you may want to wait because the rumor is that an official release of the ICS update is suppose to be soon and will happen automatically (OTA -over the air). If you feel you don't want to wait, let us know. It is pretty easy to do.

The third is battery meter training. Power your phone off and charge until it is 100%. You can check the state of charge by pressing volume down. Once charged to 100%, turn on and use it till you get the low battery warning (about 10%), then power off again and charge til 100% with the phone off again. Then you can use and charge your phone as you please. It is recommended to do this cycle every 2-3 months.

After you do the FDR, make sure your phone is set to LTE / CDMA mode instead of global (it sets to global by default). Go to your phone settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.

Let us know if you need any help or have any more questions.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Are you using the gmail email widget? NOT the gmail app but the widget that takes up one of your screens? If so, don't use it as I found that it reduced my battery life by half.

David

Last edited:
OP
S

sunshine81039

Reaction score
So i uninstalled twitter and saw a little improvement on my battery life. What is the .215 and how do i go about getting it? That was the downfall of my thunderbolt was that i kept waiting for the update but never got the first major update causing me to miss the two consecutive updates. I want to try the battery training but my phone is a certified replacement can i still do it?

cleave

Reaction score
sunshine81039 said:
So i uninstalled twitter and saw a little improvement on my battery life. What is the .215 and how do i go about getting it? That was the downfall of my thunderbolt was that i kept waiting for the update but never got the first major update causing me to miss the two consecutive updates. I want to try the battery training but my phone is a certified replacement can i still do it?

The first thing i would do is use Battery Extender in your Smart Actions app. As said earlier, it will turn off your wifi, data and background sync when your screen goes off. It will reconnect in about 10 second once your screen comes back on. Should make a huge difference in your battery life.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
sunshine81039 said:

Yes, you can still do the battery meter training on a certified replacement (that is the same as the original only it has been used then restored to new condition). Until you do the battery meter training, you will not know for sure whether your battery is actually doing good or what the real culprit is.

Because the phone is fairly new, you probably do not need to do an FDR and you should be on the latest update (which is ICS) but you better double check to make sure. Go to your phone settings then go to the bottom, About phone. Check to see what the Android version. If it is 4.0.4 then you have the latest ICS update.

The .215 is an update leak to ICS that has been pretty successful for everyone. If you feel you would like to install it, it is pretty easy and we can walk you through it.

Steps to do for now is:

*check your android version to make sure you have the latest update (instructions above) and let us know,

*check to make sure your phone is not on global mode (instructions for that are in my previous post)

*as cleave mentioned which is a huge battery saver is to go into Smart Actions and enable Battery extender. You can do that immediately.

* do the battery meter training (instructions for that are in my previous post).

OP
S

sunshine81039

Reaction score
Is there any way that i can go in and see what programs are constantly connecting to the internet? I took my phone off the charger at 6:30 this morning and am already at a half battery. Can someone walk me through the .215 so i can try that and see if that helps me. I am getting desperate. I had two extended batteries for my thunderbolt so i never had to worry now i feel like i do constantly.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
sunshine81039 said:
Is there any way that i can go in and see what programs are constantly connecting to the internet? I took my phone off the charger at 6:30 this morning and am already at a half battery. Can someone walk me through the .215 so i can try that and see if that helps me. I am getting desperate. I had two extended batteries for my thunderbolt so i never had to worry now i feel like i do constantly.

Can you screenshot your battery screen and screen time for us? (hold power and volume down buttons until you hear the shutter sound)

If you barely have any use out of it your battery is defective.

If you have significant use smart actions and some setting changes could probably fix your issue.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Gsam battery monitor will probably give you the best information on which app is using the battery.

If you have done the above steps, other things you can do are to have anything that auto checks/auto updates set to longer intervals:

*Email accounts set to check for email every 4 hours. It will automatically pull your email when you open it anyway.

*Facebook, twitter, etc do the same.

*Play store go into settings and make sure auto update is not checked. Updating a bunch of apps at random times can kill your battery.

*go into the phone settings, Accounts and sync and turn it off. You can get a toggle switch from play store to toggle it to sync periodically. I use widgetsoid but there are lots.

*go through the previous posts and make sure you have done those things (except FDR and .215).

When you get home and have at least a 50% charge you can install the 215. Go to this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html and follow course 1 steps. It is pretty easy.