This or the Galaxy S3

Sharrock

Reaction score
I posted this on the S3 forum, but I want multiple opinions.

I have a crappy iPhone 4 that I can't wait to dropkick out the window, and Verizon is letting me upgrade my phone a month early, so I'm really torn between the S3 and the Razr Maxx. The S3 has some great features and tech, along with the huge screen. But my number one concern is BATTERY. Not having to constantly worry about my phone dying is a major plus. But I've heard the camera isn't the best, and ICS is giving the phone hell with bugs.

Honest opinions please, just which is the best overall phone. Battery and camera are the two biggest factors for me.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I posted this on the S3 forum, but I want multiple opinions.

I have a crappy iPhone 4 that I can't wait to dropkick out the window, and Verizon is letting me upgrade my phone a month early, so I'm really torn between the S3 and the Razr Maxx. The S3 has some great features and tech, along with the huge screen. But my number one concern is BATTERY. Not having to constantly worry about my phone dying is a major plus. But I've heard the camera isn't the best, and ICS is giving the phone hell with bugs.
Honest opinions please, just which is the best overall phone. Battery and camera are the two biggest factors for me.

Are you willing to wait because the next round of phones like the note 2 and maybe the maxx hd will be here pretty soon. The note 2 blows away anything that's out now but most people can't handle a phone that big comfortably. The razr maxx has great battery life and build quality. The s3 has a removable battery so you could buy extra batteries. I really do not like the light cheap feel of the s3. It all comes down to which feels better in your hands because everyone has different needs and expectations from their devices

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

OP
Sharrock

Sharrock

Reaction score
I am going on a big trip November 10th to Reno so I'd like a new phone then. If the Maxx HD comes out before then I can wait.

Can you tell me anything about the camera or the bug issues for ICS? I'd like to get as much info I can before I dive in.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I am going on a big trip November 10th to Reno so I'd like a new phone then. If the Maxx HD comes out before then I can wait.

Can you tell me anything about the camera or the bug issues for ICS? I'd like to get as much info I can before I dive in.

I haven't used either camera so I can't help much with that. As far as bugs on ics most of them are solved by doing a factory reset once the phone has been updated. The maxx hd was supposed to be released 10/18 but they are holding it for death grip issues like the iphone 4 had and a new release date has not been set yet

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I had the Motorola Droid razr and I couldn't waste an upgrade on the same phone with a bigger battery. So I bought the s3,my first non Motorola smart phone... I have zero regrets I have had it since 7/11 and wouldn't trade back for anything.. Initially I wasn't sure sure but now it's grown on me and the camera and video are better than the razr max hands down. I also love the removable battery and the fact that it's not any bigger than the razr but the screen is way bigger and the 2gb of ram is very noticeable...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a Maxx and I love it. I don't use it as a camera much. If I did, I wouldn't be as happy. The camera is OK, but far from great. My retired 10 year old 1.3 MB digital camera takes better pictures than any phone ever will because the lens is better. ICS camera app helps alot with the images on a Maxx. The battery blows away any other phone bar none. I had a Thunderbolt prior to the Maxx and I hated changing batteries all the time or charging all the time to keep my phone alive. ISC has been fine for me. No bugs to speak of at all. The vast majority of folks with bugs after ISC had them all go away after a factory data reset. For me it would be if the screen (better on the SG3) and the camera (better on the SG3) outweighed the cheap feel of it (I know, personal preference) and I didn't care about changing batteries during the day or always being near a charger. I wouldn't trade my Maxx for anything out there right now. If, as you said, your number one concern is battery, then there is no question...get the Maxx.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I have a Maxx and I love it. I don't use it as a camera much. If I did, I wouldn't be as happy. The camera is OK, but far from great. My retired 10 year old 1.3 MB digital camera takes better pictures than any phone ever will because the lens is better. ICS camera app helps alot with the images on a Maxx. The battery blows away any other phone bar none. I had a Thunderbolt prior to the Maxx and I hated changing batteries all the time or charging all the time to keep my phone alive. ISC has been fine for me. No bugs to speak of at all. The vast majority of folks with bugs after ISC had them all go away after a factory data reset. For me it would be if the screen (better on the SG3) and the camera (better on the SG3) outweighed the cheap feel of it (I know, personal preference) and I didn't care about changing batteries during the day or always being near a charger. I wouldn't trade my Maxx for anything out there right now. If, as you said, your number one concern is battery, then there is no question...get the Maxx.

You had a thunderbolt. Giving advice here without owning both devices is unfair to the op. The S3 has great battery life, while it's only 2050mHr, the phone is far more efficient than the MAXX, so while there is longer battery life with the MAXX it isn't the difference between 2050 and 3300 as you would think it is. I can easily get a full 16 hr day out of my S3 unless I'm using heavy. My razr I had to bump charge at least 2x daily or I'd be dead by 200pm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the S3 and also the maxx. Here are some of my thoughts.

ICS. The Razr people that are having issues with ICS probably did not do a factory data reset after upgrading. That cures 99% of the problems. ICS comes stock on the S3 and I have not had an issue at all with it.

Camera goes to S3.

Memory. I installed a 64Gb sd card. Maxx tops out at 32Gb.

Processor. 1.5Ghz for the S3. 1.0 for maxx. The maxx hd will have the same as the S3 does now.

Ram goes to the S3 at 2Gb.

Battery. Much better with the maxx. I have a power hungry corporate email app that hits batteries hard. I can get a full day out of the S3 but 2 full days out of the maxx.

Screen resolution good to the S3. Way better picture.

I was going to wait for the Razr Maxx HD but decided to go with the S3 and am very glad I did. But, it is a personal choice and with either maxx or the S3, you are going to be happy.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I have the S3 and also the maxx. Here are some of my thoughts.

ICS. The Razr people that are having issues with ICS probably did not do a factory data reset after upgrading. That cures 99% of the problems. ICS comes stock on the S3 and I have not had an issue at all with it.

Camera goes to S3.

Memory. I installed a 64Gb sd card. Maxx tops out at 32Gb.

Processor. 1.5Ghz for the S3. 1.0 for maxx. The maxx hd will have the same as the S3 does now.

Ram goes to the S3 at 2Gb.

Battery. Much better with the maxx. I have a power hungry corporate email app that hits batteries hard. I can get a full day out of the S3 but 2 full days out of the maxx.

Screen resolution good to the S3. Way better picture.

I was going to wait for the Razr Maxx HD but decided to go with the S3 and am very glad I did. But, it is a personal choice and with either maxx or the S3, you are going to be happy.

The maxx is clocked at 1.2ghz not 1. The bionic is clocked at 1

JPanelle11

Reaction score
Mike757 said it all. My personal choice would be the Maxx as I have both phones I enjoy what the GS3 offers but most of the time I stick with the Maxx. Good luck!

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
The maxx is clocked at 1.2ghz not 1. The bionic is clocked at 1

until it gets ics and then the bionic matches it

if u want it all.... get an s3 with an extended battery... people already pointed out which phone wins what and if battery and a slimmer phone is ur priority than get the maxx and if u want everything else get the s3

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

walker77

Reaction score
Im also looking at changing to the Galaxy S3. Ive been having issues with dropping data off and on. Ive been through 4 or 5 phones and ive had it. Tech support has finally agreed to swap out to another phone. But i really hate to give up the battery life of the Maxx

Is the S3 bigger than the Maxx?