Need help...again....

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by sunshine81039, Jan 18, 2013.

1. sunshine81039

sunshine81039 New Member

So I originally had posted back in October for help since I was switched from the Thundrbolt to the Razr Maxx. I was having a major issue with battery drain and was told about an app to help me find the app that was eating all of my battery. I found out that it was some form of media that was running in the back ground. No matter how many times I would stop it from running it would start back up and my battery would be DEAD by noon after taking off of the charger at 7 am. I got so frustrated with it that I did the unthinkable and went to Apple. I am tired of spending money on things I get for free with Android. However the battery issue still is an issue. I am not sure if this media is a update or what but I cannot deal with a battery that dies in 5 hours. Any help would be awesome.
  2. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

Sunshine... just to clarify, are talking about the RAZR or your iPhone? I'm not sure which one you're talking about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  3. sunshine81039

sunshine81039 New Member

I apologize I am talking about needing help with the Maxx and the battery issues and media running in the background
  4. jpcalhoun

When you say media that could be a number of things. Do you have any app installed on your phone that sync photos, music, news or weather. Facebook, motocast, Pandora and similar apps can run in the background causing a significant drain on battery.

5. sajgel

sajgel Member

Are you running 4G in an area that is low on 4G service? If so, that is also a drain on your battery. There is an App called LTE on/off that can help.
  6. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

Yes... JP is right! My brother in law had motocast trying to look for a wifi spot to sync his phone to when he was out and about.. His settings were to update every hour or so...Same thing could happen with Facebook.. Change those settings if you have to. I am on 4G all the time since I have unlimited data but when I was on ICS my phone would easily last all day.
  7. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Yep, change your sync settings and maybe try updating your phone to the Official/Unofficial JellyBean update.
  8. sunshine81039

sunshine81039 New Member

I do live In a fringe area but this was happening even right next to a tower. As far as an app to sync stuff I personally never set anything up. As for the jb update I go into system updates and it says its up to date but still says 4.0.4
  9. jpcalhoun

If you have 4.0.4 then you are running the latest official system software, Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean has not been officially released as of yet, maybe by the end of March. There are quite a few users who have installed a leaked version of Jelly Bean, but it is not official. You can install it if you want, but at this point I think you should figure out what causing your power drain before installing an unofficial leak. If troubleshooting fails to solve the problem then consider rooting your phone and freezing some known battery hogs or try the unofficial leaked Jelly Bean. Your decision.

With some pre-installed apps you don't have to set up anything, they start on their own and run without you really recognizing it. There could also be an app that "syncs media" that you have downloaded and installed causing your problem. It's really hard to say which app or setting is causing your problem without being able to identify what's running on your phone. Go to settings>apps>running and tell us what is reported as running. Also tell what apps you have downloaded and installed from the Play Store or Amazon etc. I've had problems with Motocast in the past. If you have ever started Motocast and played around with it, or Facebook, I'd check those two first. They are notorious for being out of control and the user not realizing it.
  10. sunshine81039

sunshine81039 New Member

I will take a couple of screen shots to see what is running....also a side note I am running on wifi and trying to fix the issues before I reactivate the device.
  11. sunshine81039

sunshine81039 New Member

Here are the screen shots. The first is what the media is showing.

Attached Files:

12. sunshine81039

sunshine81039 New Member

And here is a couple more

Attached Files:

13. jpcalhoun

You have a lot of "stuff" running. I guess the question is "do you really use/need" all of them. I understand now why media is such large consumer of your battery. If you have Facebook, You Tube, and all those other widgets running your going to have less than average battery life. Many off the pre-installed apps can be disabled by un installing their updates and then selecting disable. Some can be un installed. You need to figure out what you want... everything running and syncing or better battery life. It's this simple... The more you have running, downloading and syncing the shorter your battery will last. Also check the settings of what you do have running. The more often it syncs the shorter your battery will last.

14. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

There is a known problem with "Media" where it goes rogue and sucks down an inordinate amount of power, draining batteries in a matter of hours as the OP has described. Some (like me), are able to get it back under control by stopping the Media service in Apps Manage, and then clearing the Cache/Data for the app, and finally then rebooting.

Others have had the app/service continue for a couple days, and then suddenly start acting normally again. As of yet, nobody that I know of has been able to identify what is causing it or what works every time to fix it.

This may happen once in a great while, or never depending on who you talk to. I've had it hit my phone twice since I've originally activated it over a year ago. In both situations, the steps mentioned above eventually worked, but in one of the two times it took several repeats of clearing the cache and stopping the service before it worked.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  15. sunshine81039

sunshine81039 New Member

Ok so i did an fdr and still media is running here is a screen shot of the media it says is running

Attached Files:

16. aarong03

aarong03 Member

I have the same problem, but it's with the kernel. It's been running a lot lately. Ever since the Jelly Bean was let out, it's been running more than it ever has. I'm not sure if that is a reason for it running or not. It's just odd.

Screenshot_2013-01-23-08-46-22.png
  17. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

Have you tried stopping manually and clearing cache as stated by Foxkat? Also what widget do you have on your screens? If you stop it, clear cache, and check your screens, you may find one of them (or more) is the cause of the media issue. If so, you may want to lower the sync setting for the app.
  18. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

You're having battery issues? My kernel is right up there as well but battery has been lasting over 30+ hours...big drainer is Facebook which you have as number 2..even though it says 2%.. I wouldn't worry so much about the kernel..its those apps that you sync and how often you sync/update them. I occasionally use Facebook on my phone and when I do.. I log out completely and then log in when I need to.
  19. aarong03

aarong03 Member

Yeah, it seems to draining faster. I can get almost 48hrs, but recently has not been getting that high. I may try what you suggested. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums
  20. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

I just saw media share settings..hit menu button..system settings.. under data..you will see "more"..hit more. You'll see media share settings. See if any settings are on.