2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyiden

Reaction score
am sure I am in the minority here, but I don't give a rats ass about rooting. I just want the most recent update I can get. I feel like I am a "normal" user, one that doesn't care about all the fancy crap that 'rooting' can add to my experience. I just want the latest and greatest that is supported by my carrier. so to that end, I say, bring it on! let's hear it for us "non-nerds"!!!

LOL, if your on a Cell phone forum.... Your a nerd. Sorry.

Point taken. I AM a nerd. :):)

p1ngputts

Reaction score
excited about the news. Hopefully 5 screens will be an option. That's all I really want....besides the call clarity to be fixed on my callers end.

big steve

Reaction score
amen to the garyiden!! and it says update 1 build (or something like that) it seems to me they are going to put the latest and greatest on later? maybe 5 screens and flash next time non-nerds unite :icon_ banana:

lemodular

Reaction score
lol at all those who thinks flash is from VZW or Moto..... and complaining about it.

ctsv510

Reaction score
Dude
Personally its quite annoying to read this and everyone has to tell everyone how they don't care they are rooted, cool. Some people just want to hear about the update not which rom all you rooted guys are using. I guess I just am sick of all the rooted users knocking an exciting time. Can't wait for the update.

Dude you read my mind

stangdroid

Reaction score
Didnt know if this had been covered or not or if this was the right place to ask but do I have to remove the 2.1 apps from my phone before I update? Im running stock 2.0.1 on my droid.

R1Lover

Reaction score
so quick question. for us rooted folks. if we unroot (and go back to stock). then do the update. can we root again? or does rooting not work on 2.1 yet (although we have 2.1 roms)?

There is already a rooted sbf version of 2.1 update1 so the answer is yes.... it's more work installing a sbf file then loading up the DM updater to root... but it's not that bad either.

As for people complaining about rooted users..... please dont' take offense to people who are rooted. We are all droid users, some "get into it" more then others, but there is no reason to seperate the two.

As for what this update contains that the ESE53 versions already out there ie: Ultimate Droid, etc... I'm sure there will be a couple if things, but a quick file check will quickly and swiftly get updated in the custom ROM's out there as well. Most likely the same day it's released as my guess there are not many changes from the leaked version of the same number.

masters

Reaction score
lol at all those who thinks flash is from VZW or Moto..... and complaining about it.

I'm already running ESE53 so the update is nothing new.. Actually any of the ESE 53 ROM's are better than what the update is.

People complaining about Outlook support and other e-mail stuff should just wait for someone to write an app, we all know the e-mail that comes stock with any computer sucks. Someone will write a better one.

Flash is not from VZW, and it's a plugin so can be added at any time.
Flash is what I am waiting for the most, I think it's funny so many people were amped over this 2.1 update. I think it was/is required for flash though, so maybe moving in the right direction.

I WANT FLASH.. I am stunned no one has gotten their hands on it..

What should have been in the OS is BlueTooth Voice Dial.. WTF? That should have been a basic function..

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didnt know if this had been covered or not or if this was the right place to ask but do I have to remove the 2.1 apps from my phone before I update? Im running stock 2.0.1 on my droid.

Not sure if it's required, but probably a good idea. I plan to unistall them as well as the Helix Launcher Wednesday evening. I can deal with the stock launcher and apps for a few days till the update hits my phone.

masters

Reaction score
With the official roll out I'll be going back to stock. I want to see how 2.1 runs and I'm confident that someone will root 2.1. and we will see what happens at that point.

I just back to stock when I got home...

I am curious as to why?

Not judging, doesn't matter, but curious..

I have read a lot of people that say they wish to go to a stock phone.

ESE53 is already rooted btw.

diverbelow

Reaction score
As a non rooted droid guy I can't wait. When the OTA update comes through will I be able to install the new launcher2.apk on my phone or is that only for rooted users?

you can install the launcher2.apk on a non-root phone as long as you have unknown sources checked on menu -> settings -> applications

But that is still buggy.

Digon

Reaction score
Dude
Personally its quite annoying to read this and everyone has to tell everyone how they don't care they are rooted, cool. Some people just want to hear about the update not which rom all you rooted guys are using. I guess I just am sick of all the rooted users knocking an exciting time. Can't wait for the update.

Dude you read my mind

:r_c:

*Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the browser, Gallery, and
Google Maps.™ GOT IT

* New Weather and News application plus widget.
− The Weather and News app pulls the information you want from the
Web and brings it to your fingertips. You get weekly and hourly
weather forecasts based on your location, and news headlines. GOT IT

* New support for voice-to-text entry.
• Whenever a text-entry box appears, simply tap the microphone
icon on the virtual keyboard and speak.(GOT IT

* New Gallery application with 3D layout. View and share photos taken
with your phone and images from your online Picasa Web albums. GOT IT

* Live Wallpapers offer richer animated, interactive backgrounds on the
home screen. Access them with a long press anywhere on the home
screen. Tap Wallpapers, then Live Wallpapers. GOT IT
Improvements:

* Free Yahoo!® Mail is now supported—simply sign in with your Yahoo!
email address and password.1 WHY DO YOU USE YAHOO ON AN GOOGLE PHONE

* Google Maps update.2
− Personalized suggestions and synchronized starring with
desktop maps.google.com.
• Starred items are stored and synced automatically between Google
Maps on your device and maps.google.com on your computer,
making it easy to search for places you’ve searched
for before.
− New night mode in Google Maps Navigation automatically changes
the screen at night for easier viewing.EVERYONE WHO HAS A DROID S ALREADY RUNNING THIS! VERSION 4

Personally I'm really disappointed with the 2.1 OTA update they could have done a better JoB. All this wait for what ? eh....

However I am really happy that this is out better quality Droid Roms will be created ...ooooh Wait its happen already.

So before you get all butt hurt because some of us are responding that this OTA SUCKS and we are running better updates/roms NOW Well...ITS HONESTLY TRUE!

Status
Not open for further replies.