News on the release of 2.1

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid2 will come out before 2.1..... heard it here first!

Funny you mention that. Over at CB in the Storm thread many people swore that Verizon was holding the update back because they wanted to push the BB Storm and guess what? They released the update a week before they released the Storm 2.

Isaiah

Reaction score
Motorola | Facebook
We know you guys are anxiously awaiting the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. Ultimately, we want to ensure you have the best possible experience on your device; as a result, the rollout is taking longer than expected. Though we don't have the new deployment date to share just yet, we do promise we are working to get you updated information and will relay it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. We appreciate it!

--not very substantial news, but still news... kind of

joshwithachance

Reaction score
Motorola | Facebook
We know you guys are anxiously awaiting the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. Ultimately, we want to ensure you have the best possible experience on your device; as a result, the rollout is taking longer than expected. Though we don't have the new deployment date to share just yet, we do promise we are working to get you updated information and will relay it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. We appreciate it!

--not very substantial news, but still news... kind of

they need to hurry up. 2.0.1 has been out for ages already. c'mon, the nexus has been running this for a while already. GET IT ON OUR DROIDS >.<

Last edited by a moderator:

zooyork

Reaction score
they need to hurry up. 2.0.1 has been out for ages already. c'mon, the nexus has been running this for a while already. GET IT ON OUR DROIDS >.<[/QUOTE]

YEAH! you tel them.. lol. who's ass do we need to light a fire under? j/k its going to come when it comes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMR561

Reaction score
Anyone think they are holding it back because they're adding something to the Droid update the other android phones didn't get?

masters

Reaction score
Anyone think they are holding it back because they're adding something to the Droid update the other android phones didn't get?

Nope, because they would put something special on their Nexus first since that's their pet phone and they want to sell more of them.. The Droid has sold many more.

bbtkd

Reaction score

Nope, because they would put something special on their Nexus first since that's their pet phone and they want to sell more of them.. The Droid has sold many more.

Also, we've heard they are trying to release but have had problems. When you're trying to release, you don't go back and make changes that would require you to start over on the long testing process. This late in the game you only make the changes necessary to fix the problem keeping you from releasing, you test that code, and you get it out. They'll be wanting to get this out the door as much as we want it. They may already be in the testing phase on the release after this one.

dwoid

Reaction score
2.1 features...

They're probably tryiing to find something to add that DroidMod doesn't already have. :icon_eek:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They're probably tryiing to find something to add that DroidMod doesn't already have. :icon_eek:

Yeah, like a battery life that's acceptable which you don't have with Droidmod. Overclocking may make your Droid run smoother, faster, but it definitely sucks the life out of your battery. 2.1 has got something in it to improve battery life.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Damn, I'm fed up ...

Now I want to Root and go Cyanogen.

Thing is if I decide to do that today, then they'll make some announcement on it.

When I root and go modded, I don't plan on returning.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Damn, I'm fed up ...

Now I want to Root and go Cyanogen.

Thing is if I decide to do that today, then they'll make some announcement on it.

When I root and go modded, I don't plan on returning.

Ask yourself if your phone isn't working fine the way it is now? I understand that everybody is impatient, but I personally feel from experience that for those of us who wait good things will come. First we will definitely have a better battery experience. Second I'll bet that they will have 2.1 rooted in no time at all. So if you want to go there then, that's another avenue.

I'm trying to stay on topic here and I understand it's difficult without bringing up the temptation to root. I feel that expressing feelings on this is not really going off topic, it's when somebody says "What are you waiting for" that crosses the line.

So the choice is yours of course. That's why it's a Droid and why you bought it. I liked the way my phone ran on DM but the battery was getting the life sucked out of it, I'd rather put up with some slower scrolling and a few less bells and whistles and wait for 2.1.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The beauty of the Droid is you can get the same great experience rooted or not. I don't push for others to root, but its great for those of us that love to tinker.

2.1 has lost its luster for me. The OTA debacle is the culprit IMO

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
The largest news to come out of VZ was about a Skype app that will only serve to make $$$ for them off minutes (hence no wifi), no news about 2.1 for Droid.

Other carriers and units are getting 2.1, Sprint phones are getting 2.1 supposedly beginning of April.

VZ better do something, or they'll lose out. People who joined "The world's largest 3G network" can also leave it if there is no love for the provider.

They have not even yet announced a date for the N1 on VZ, quite frankly, if I were a shareholder, I'd can the PR department right now.

bbtkd

Reaction score
The largest news to come out of VZ was about a Skype app that will only serve to make $$$ for them off minutes (hence no wifi), no news about 2.1 for Droid.

Other carriers and units are getting 2.1, Sprint phones are getting 2.1 supposedly beginning of April.

VZ better do something, or they'll lose out. People who joined "The world's largest 3G network" can also leave it if there is no love for the provider.

They have not even yet announced a date for the N1 on VZ, quite frankly, if I were a shareholder, I'd can the PR department right now.

It's very likely that a vast majority of users do not visit this site or know/care about 2.1. How many customers will VZW really lose or have want to switch phone because of a point release of software? This 'fiasco' is nothing compared to what crackberry or Treo/Centro users endured. I had Treo/Centro and their patch strategy was about 6 months denial of major problems, 6 months of 'have a problem and developing a patch' followed by attempts to release which bricked many phones, followed by more delays until ultimately releasing an optional patch which if you were brave enough to risk bricking, yielded no fixes to major problems. By then, the next phone is out and you are eligible so you jump to it in the hopes they fixed major issues. Crackberry is reportedly similar. I finally jumped off that impending train-wreck to Droid and this is a vast improvement. I'll have two major patches within 6 months and problems are being addressed, none even major ones TO ME. If anyone reading this forum is foolish enough to leave over some bungling of a non-critical point release, leave now and do it quietly. When you choose a technical widget with a 2 year contract you need to realize that other better widgets will come out in that 2 years.