News on the release of 2.1

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's right. You have to get a call from the contact and then Blue Ant remembers the number and assigns it a speed dial position. And there are only 8 that it can remember.

I only have 2 people that I call frequently so when I use the headset it works well for me.

I apologize for going off topic. We were talking about the 2.1 update and blue tooth however so we kind of drifted over here.

txskeets

Reaction score
Actually, if you Bluetooth sync your phone to the Microsoft Sync system in various Ford cars, it bluetooth dials fine. :)

Simple fact: No Android phone is blue tooth voice dialing capable. Unless something has happened since November and I highly doubt it.

However I'd be remiss if I didn't point out you can use voice commands for handsfree calling with the Blue Ant Q1.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Simple fact: No Android phone is blue tooth voice dialing capable. Unless something has happened since November and I highly doubt it.

However I'd be remiss if I didn't point out you can use voice commands for handsfree calling with the Blue Ant Q1.

Lets rephrase that to no Android phone has native BT voice dialing. There have been several that do have it, via third party solutions.

The Motorola Devour being one of them.

Nick177th

Reaction score
Maybe a little counterpoint here... To me personally bluetooth voice dialing is a huge failure. With my other phones that did do voice dialing, I was *ALWAYS* getting the wrong person because the voice interpretation didn't work well. And I know a lot of other people were similarly disappointed.

I like Google's voice lookup much better, and I use it with much more confidence than I ever could bluetooth voice dialing. It wouldn't surprise me if this feature was intentionally omitted because Google knew they could do better, and they did do it better.

Related to the free wireless tethering that we get with custom ROMs, this is a product us dweebs love, but it probably won't ever be included with an official OTA build, because it directly conflicts with Verizon's own proprietary product that they use for income. You can add the Verizon equivalent of tethering to your contract with Verizon for a nominal fee and receive their software and configuration to make it work. But you can bet Verizon would *not allow* free wireless tethering as we know it to be included in an official build that they distribute.

That said, I'm constantly reminded how good service is from Verizon. I just got a Droid for my son, ordered online from Verizon directly. The guy I spoke with for the order went through my whole account on his own for me and found I qualified for a corporate discount and a couple other percs, so basically I added my son's Droid, doubled our minutes and got unlimited messaging for only $10 a month more.

The *only* Droid related complaint I have is about the official 2.1 delay, and at this point for me it's a non-issue because (1) I've decided I'm staying with DroidMod, and (2) the delay is probably not Verizon's fault anyway.

Btw, yes, my son's a dweeb too, he's going to DroidMod the minute he turns his Droid on. He's been modding since he got his G1.

I was very much planning to stay vanilla official OTA with my Droid when I first got it. Then I sort of got frustrated with the 2.1 delay (about 3 months ago) and at the same time the Sholes/DroidMod folks came up with their installer. It was an easy decision. I love that there are still custom ROM options available for the Droid, and most likely will never go back to official OTAs.

Never had a problem with it unless you had very very similar names in your contactrs. i.e. Carol and Darryl. Even then, the voice would ask you "did you say, name goes here"?

mikes

Reaction score
Actually, if you Bluetooth sync your phone to the Microsoft Sync system in various Ford cars, it bluetooth dials fine.
Not the same thing. It's the car's Bluetooth system which is changing voice to numbers. Some of the Parrot handsfree kits will do the same thing.

tycedeano

Reaction score
Palm Pre?

Related to the free wireless tethering that we get with custom ROMs, this is a product us dweebs love, but it probably won't ever be included with an official OTA build, because it directly conflicts with Verizon's own proprietary product that they use for income. You can add the Verizon equivalent of tethering to your contract with Verizon for a nominal fee and receive their software and configuration to make it work. But you can bet Verizon would *not allow* free wireless tethering as we know it to be included in an official build that they distribute.

I wonder why they advertise teathering for up to five devices as a feature of the Palm Pre Plus but don't allow it for DROID?