Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-2.1-droid-update.jpg

After months of waiting, Android v2.1 may finally begin to roll out for the Motorola Droid over the next few days. Engadget has posted what appears to be an internal Verizon email that outlines the entire process. I would still consider this information to be rumor at this time, as Verizon or Motorola has yet to confirm or deny the claim.

----
Starting 03/30/2010, Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for the DROID by Motorola. Users will be able to upgrade their software to version AP: ESE81/BP: C_01.3E.03P to receive new improvements and enhancements.

Key Advantages:

• Email - Yahoo Mail is now supported - customers can simply sign in with their Yahoo! Email address and password. Note: Yahoo! Email is not available over Wi-Fi
  • Pinch to Zoom now available in the Browser, Maps, and Gallery
  • Speech-to-Text - Customers can now use their voice instead of typing whenever a text-entry box appears
  • Google Goggles is now preloaded
  • The new Gallery application uses 3D layout and shows both pictures taken with the customer's Android device and images from Picasa Web Albums account online

Software Schedule:
Below is the software-upgrade notification schedule (All times listed are Eastern Time):

• At noon on 03/30, 1,000 users will receive notification of the update.
  • At 11:59 PM on 03/30, 9,000 more users will receive the update notification.
  • After the first 10,000 users receive the update on 03/30, there will be a 24-hour period when no additional upgrades will be delivered.
  • On Day 3 (04/01), 200,000 users will receive the update notification at 11:59 PM. This schedule will continue each day thereafter until the update has been delivered to all users.

Download & Install Conditions:

• An OTA download requires 40% or more power availability if the device is not connected to an external power source or 20% or more power if it is connected to an external source
  • If roaming, the customer will not receive the update. The only option in this scenario is for the subscriber to enable Wi-Fi and wait for a mandatory OTA. The wait period in this case will not be more than 12 hours
  • User must wait to receive the upgrade via OTA
  • User is unable to make or receive calls, including emergency calls during this time
  • Users will see the following information when they select* More info* on the update screen:/ This software update includes new enhancements to support Yahoo! Email, pinch-to-zoom, and many other improvements for your DROID by Motorola. You will be unable to use your device or make
  • emergency calls for the duration of the install. The software updates automatically, and your DROID will power off and on as part of this software upgrade.

[Source: Engadget]

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
ESE81! upgrade from the initial OTA (ESE53!)... no mention of extra homescreens or live wallpapers though... HMMM?!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
have anyone gotten it yet.

Tpayne23

Reaction score
Glad the update is coming. Just rooted yesterday because I didn't think It would come before I leave for a week in florida on the 2nd. Interesting to see an updated build number now that alot of the 2.1 roms are built around ESE53. I too am wondering what the difference is. I guess everyone can thank me for the update since I knew the day after I rooted it would come. Your welcome. Congrats to all the holdouts that didn't root. If it truly does come it's a happy day.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If anyone get the notification please pull the update packe off your sd card and upload it. Then put it back. that way everyone who wants it can grab it

papy72

Reaction score
My biggest question now is whether or not this is just another boy crying wolf.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
it's noon here and i haven't received anything yet.. i guess by midnight???

That's understandable, according to the schedule in the release only 1,000 users have it now. Then only an additional 9,000 will receive it later this evening, which will remain for at least 24 hours. There's approximately 2 million Droids out there now, so this could take a while.

Amy001

Reaction score
Thank you so much! sorry if i ask any dumb questions. i'm all very new to this and just trying to learn everything!

hogowner

Reaction score
I guess if your phone is rooted.....and you have those enhancements and more.....no need to worry about updating your phone with Verison OTA

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess if your phone is rooted.....and you have those enhancements and more.....no need to worry about updating your phone with Verison OTA

well, ESE81 could be a new, better base to work custom ROMs off of... we'll just have to wait and see