Verizon IS rolling out official Gingerbread to Droid X's....but there's a catch

xan

Reaction score
I downloaded the file to my laptop and renamed it to update. How exactly do I get it onto my SD card?

fastest way is to plug dx into lappy and mount it as usb storage drive, then drag and drop over to the mounted drive.

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Okay I don't know why this wouldn't work but if you get on GB why can't you use z4 and get root? Is it only for 340 or something. I though it just downloaded files to give root. So that should download the files and give root.
Only in theory. I have no clue if it would work. I'm only hoping.

FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Okay I don't know why this wouldn't work but if you get on GB why can't you use z4 and get root? Is it only for 340 or something. I though it just downloaded files to give root. So that should download the files and give root.
Only in theory. I have no clue if it would work. I'm only hoping.

FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!

z4root uses a particular exploit that got closed by Google in Gingerbread.

xan

Reaction score
Glad you got your GB...

The rooted GB is out now on MDW.

google "DroidX Gingerbread 2.3.3(4.5.588) Install Patch with Root"

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
When we get this update will there be a way to root or will we have to flash the rooted version regardless?
Because if we have to flash then ill just do it now. No point in waiting.

FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!

BillCollector

Reaction score
Has anyone actually received the GB update OTA yet?

My DX still says "no update"

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
I've been waiting for he OTA cause I was gonna put it on my stepdads phone since he doesn't do any hacks or custom roms. But everytime I hit the update button, it says there is no updates available. And he's still on froyo. Why is his phone not getting it?

jdmpwr07

Reaction score
I haven't gotten it yet either and I SBF'ed back to stock. I'm starting to think it won't roll out for awhile (Maybe early May).

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
I've been waiting for he OTA cause I was gonna put it on my stepdads phone since he doesn't do any hacks or custom roms. But everytime I hit the update button, it says there is no updates available. And he's still on froyo. Why is his phone not getting it?

I already helped you out on your original post there shouldnt be a reason to ask it again. You wont get the update because VZW is not pushing it out yet. A few individuals got it as an accident we all here are not sure if this is the final build anyways. So i say dont worry about it until you see the news here of DF.

chefb

Reaction score
Waiting can't hurt! ..... really love your phone!.... But once they get it straight with all the leaks and new leaks, then accidentally leaked push/soak, the sbf'n back to do a three prog flash via cw....to maybe getting stuck at the red M.....wait! maybe Verizon may just send it to you....you pay them more!!!! But when a week passes and there are more positive feed back then "uh what happened to my phone?".....oh im flashing the he'll out that ass!!!!!!

GeXX

Reaction score
This isn't the official OTA, but it is a official release. If it wasn't one would not be able to install it without rooting. I know it isn't the official release because I cannot access my touchdown key. I remember going through this when I had my nexus one, went through a few final releases, but when the release one finally came out, it was a small number, and I was able to access secure downloads from the market.

I think one of the things they will be fixing will be the final upgrade part, I've put this on 2 phones so far, and the 2 things I've seen is the launcher has a fit when upgrading from froyo (so much so I had to wipe one of the phones), and the sync icon keeps going unless one wipes it (I read somewhere that this is due to the email formats being different).

Now as far has the build it's self. It is more stable than froyo was for me, and MUCH faster. Since it is a official build, I will think that we will be seeing both the upgrade and full version of the downloads in the next few weeks. That's how it was for the nexus anyways.

Reaction score

I already helped you out on your original post there shouldnt be a reason to ask it again. You wont get the update because VZW is not pushing it out yet. A few individuals got it as an accident we all here are not sure if this is the final build anyways. So i say dont worry about it until you see the news here of DF.

My bad, lol. I just keep reading everywhere about people who got it and news sites saying it finally here so it didn't make sense to me. No biggie lol

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
Can someone test to see if titanium backup works on the new gb rooted ota.

Swyped from the best phone in verizon's line up