Droid X OTA to Gingerbread!?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Any info you guys have about the Droid X getting Android 2.3 from Motorola and/or Verizon goes here!.. An ETA is always nice :)

Know it or not, the Droid X won't get Gingerbread in custom ROMs until it gets Gingerbread officially. That's just how Motorola rolls. And besides, the new Blur looks pretty BA (No, really, google it!).

And as always, "keep on rootin'."

dbst

Reaction score
Actually there are a few devs working on GB for the X and D2, we will see it before it's official :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I thought that the bootloader had to officially support Gingerbread or something before the X could run it?..... But hey if I can get GB before Moto rolls out an OTA (if ever), I'm game.

Got a link?

qman66

Reaction score
Actually there are a few devs working on GB for the X and D2, we will see it before it's official :)

thats impossible they cant be working on it. because of the bootloader. maybe u mean they will find a leak before the ota comes out as thats whats happened twice now wit 2.2 and 2.2.1

dbst

Reaction score
CVPCS is working on it right now, you can load GB on the X/2 with the current kernel

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

thats impossible they cant be working on it. because of the bootloader. maybe u mean they will find a leak before the ota comes out as thats whats happened twice now wit 2.2 and 2.2.1

Gingerbread is, overall, compatible with the current kernel. Using the same method that he used for Obsidian, he has got it booting, though it is far from a daily driver.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Arcstriker

Reaction score
From what I understand, there is a LOT of stuff in Gingerbread that is just unstable, not just for the X, but on a LOT of phones... Even the Nexus S I guess is unstable with a lot of complaints. We'll see how Honeycomb runs on the XOOM

Lady_DroidX

Reaction score
When will this update come omg pulling out my hair

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I was under the impression that there already was a few ROMs out there that are like GB, for example, Fission for the D2G, is a lot like GB, it even gives you the black keyboard & notification bar...I know the D2G is getting the official GB as well, and its lookin like it won't be til around may or june, if the "every 6months" rule of thumb still applies. But until then, there are some GB style custom ROMs out there

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
Gingerbread is being skipped and next update will be 2.4 icecream sandwich which has gingerbread and honeycomb a 2 for one combo

Reaction score
Where did you hear that at, I heard that the next update would be a version of HC, but I didn't hear anything about skipping GB, and like I said in my last post, its supposed to be coming out for the Droid X/2/2Global, sometime in the next few months. I would totally be down for a combo of HC and GB, but not if I have to wait another year for it, I want my update soon, especially since GB is supposed improve the functionality of the keyboard greatly.

Edit - just found this link, & it talks about the next OS update for android phones would indeed be a mix between Honeycomb and Gingerbread, but it didn't say anything about skipping GB alltogether, bit I wouldn't mind, as long as I get my black notification bar and my better multi-touch keyboard lol which I can get those with custom ROMs. So this new Ice Cream update will work for both phones and tabs. Here's the link - http://tech.resuck.com/2011/02/new-android-os-to-mix-gingerbread-honeycomb-–-ice-cream/

Last edited:

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
I talked to motorola and a vz manager from what they told me ginger bread is to unstable for the dx saying it bricks devices like the issue they had with froyo they tried fixing this with the 2.2.1 update to prepare for ginger bread motorola told me that they don't plan on releasing it unless its fully stable droid 2 will prolly get it before dx does

Where did you hear that at, I heard that the next update would be a version of HC, but I didn't hear anything about skipping GB, and like I said in my last post, its supposed to be coming out for the Droid X/2/2Global, sometime in the next few months. I would totally be down for a combo of HC and GB, but not if I have to wait another year for it, I want my update soon, especially since GB is supposed improve the functionality of the keyboard greatly.

Edit - just found this link, & it talks about the next OS update for android phones would indeed be a mix between Honeycomb and Gingerbread, but it didn't say anything about skipping GB alltogether, bit I wouldn't mind, as long as I get my black notification bar and my better multi-touch keyboard lol which I can get those with custom ROMs. So this new Ice Cream update will work for both phones and tabs. Here's the link - http://tech.resuck.com/2011/02/new-android-os-to-mix-gingerbread-honeycomb-–-ice-cream/

Reaction score
Hmmm, I was reading an article on Endgadget a week or two ago, and it was about seeing a droid X out in the wild, using GB 2.3. That would suck to have your phone brick because of a update lol hopefully they fix, I just really want it for my D2G but I rather get the other IceCream update, that **** looks dope.

I talked to motorola and a vz manager from what they told me ginger bread is to unstable for the dx saying it bricks devices like the issue they had with froyo they tried fixing this with the 2.2.1 update to prepare for ginger bread motorola told me that they don't plan on releasing it unless its fully stable droid 2 will prolly get it before dx does

Edit - just found this link, & it talks about the next OS update for android phones would indeed be a mix between Honeycomb and Gingerbread, but it didn't say anything about skipping GB alltogether, bit I wouldn't mind, as long as I get my black notification bar and my better multi-touch keyboard lol which I can get those with custom ROMs. So this new Ice Cream update will work for both phones and tabs. Here's the link - New Android OS to Mix Gingerbread & Honeycomb

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
Ya if we see gingerbread it prolly wont be till summer even so the droid x 2 and droid 3 posed to be out in may so people prolly going to upgrade me personally I can care less about these updates they are so slow to get the updates while other phones been had gingerbread I don't understand how the devs here can do a better job then google can google needs to get rid of there staff and replace them with jrummy pete pandroid all the modders basically

Hmmm, I was reading an article on Endgadget a week or two ago, and it was about seeing a droid X out in the wild, using GB 2.3. That would suck to have your phone brick because of a update lol hopefully they fix, I just really want it for my D2G but I rather get the other IceCream update, that **** looks dope.

Edit - just found this link, & it talks about the next OS update for android phones would indeed be a mix between Honeycomb and Gingerbread, but it didn't say anything about skipping GB alltogether, bit I wouldn't mind, as long as I get my black notification bar and my better multi-touch keyboard lol which I can get those with custom ROMs. So this new Ice Cream update will work for both phones and tabs. Here's the link - New Android OS to Mix Gingerbread & Honeycomb