Verizon IS rolling out official Gingerbread to Droid X's....but there's a catch

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
You Droid X owners should probably read this....Gingerbread is officially being rolled out to you guys.....but..........what's the catch? Try a new bootloader......yeah.....oh....did I mention it's a "silent" update? Meaning there is no prompt to update....it just does then prompts for reboot. But it is coming and it is coming now.

Happening Now: Droid X Gingerbread Update Brings A New Bootloader, Kills Root Access | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
ah.....so you can take the OTA GB and still get back to root? So....that means root isn't far away right?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
No clue...... just means you can get back to froyo. Hopefully they didnt fix however they got root on the leak though in which case itll be soon.

ataris_kid

Reaction score
A new bootloader isn't necessarily cause to freak out. Has anyone been able to enlighten us as to what the bootloader changes are?

mikex

Reaction score
Does anyone who has the ota version have any initial thoughts? Any differences you can see vs the leaked version?

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So you have to be on 340 and unrooted to get this update? And abouy how long would it take to get root on it?

FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!

Spartans_08

Reaction score
Does anyone who has the ota version have any initial thoughts? Any differences you can see vs the leaked version?

I didn't get the exact OTA, I installed an official update that I found posted and my initial thoughts were that the official runs smoother, and boots up quicker...the 3G icon is different and the text messages received are a lighter blue, but other than that it's almost the same....I will say I can't wait for root to happen to get it even faster ;)
\

Spartans_08

Reaction score
So you have to be on 340 and unrooted to get this update? And abouy how long would it take to get root on it?

FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!

No clue on the root....but I sbf'ed back to 340 and did a manual update through stock recovery, worked flawlessly, and so far it seems less buggy than the leak

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Wait so its out? Officially? I was under the impression it would come out like tomorrow.
If so how to I obtain this?
And I am currently on the new liberty so it wont take long to get back to 340. But will I have to unroot?

FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!

chefb

Reaction score

FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!

No clue on the root....but I sbf'ed back to 340 and did a manual update through stock recovery, worked flawlessly, and so far it seems less buggy than the leak

Does the led notification work via handsent...that little blue light?