Droid X OTA to Gingerbread!?

Reaction score
to those that bring up samsung aka the devil..no no no at least we have froyo, and as far as cupcakes, or pumpkin pies, Why not skip it all and make some RED VELVET CAKE....LOL
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

pkbest

Reaction score
Actually there are a few devs working on GB for the X and D2, we will see it before it's official :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
thats impossible they cant be working on it. because of the bootloader. maybe u mean they will find a leak before the ota comes out as thats whats happened twice now wit 2.2 and 2.2.1

Actually..it is possible. I've been working with Drod on it for a lil bit now. CVPCS has already built it by my understanding talking with him the other day. It doesn't require anything different in the bootloader. Gingerbread compiles just fine under the .32 kernel. There most likely, (if devs aren't too busy playing with their new tbolts lol since most got em) will be GB before Moto releases OTA. The problem right now is that we have to backwards compile GB.. since we can't change kernels. That was how Drod2169 explained it to me over gtalk the other night. Once I figure out whether or not this bootloader crack is legit (which Im starting to think IS NOT) then I will be starting to support DX. I haven't done much of any development in the last 6 months due to other issues going on, but since most people are going to TBOLT including Kejar, I along with a couple other ppl will only be left that can dev for it.

Bobby Sweethearts

Reaction score
From what I understand is that the DX and D2 both have locked boot loaders, which means that you can not flash a custom rom or recovery as there is no way to sign a custom sbf. The boot loader was just unlocked however by using exploit similar to the one found in the PS3, and the good people over at free my droid will be finishing up the work, what you guys are referring to is not custom roms but theming the phone.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
TBH tweeted today that he has confirmed moto has finalized the gb build for dx but no eta.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
From what I understand is that the DX and D2 both have locked boot loaders, which means that you can not flash a custom rom or recovery as there is no way to sign a custom sbf. The boot loader was just unlocked however by using exploit similar to the one found in the PS3, and the good people over at free my droid will be finishing up the work, what you guys are referring to is not custom roms but theming the phone.

Whoa whoa whoa, they cracked the bootloader?!......no....... Anyone else care to confirm this?...

Okay so I googled it, yeah. True, the bootloader's cracked. Five months ago would have been nice, but I can't complain- 1024bit is kinda pretty much impossible to crack...

Edit: Myabe not? Some people are claiming hoax... ?

Last edited:

kennydied23

Reaction score

Whoa whoa whoa, they cracked the bootloader?!......no....... Anyone else care to confirm this?...

Okay so I googled it, yeah. True, the bootloader's cracked. Five months ago would have been nice, but I can't complain- 1024bit is kinda pretty much impossible to crack...

Edit: Myabe not? Some people are claiming hoax... ?

It was a hoax. We're back to square one.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not understanding all this locked bootloader stuff as I have a D2 running a custom ROM....doesn't that mean it is unlocked?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I am not understanding all this locked bootloader stuff as I have a D2 running a custom ROM....doesn't that mean it is unlocked?

No, if the bootloader is unlocked, then we can instull custom kernels, I don't know the exact details, but this allows us to install basically whatever the hell we want without the bootloader stopping the phone from booting. We could have had Gingerbread when the Incredible got it (third party of course) and an unlocked bootloader would ensure the phone could stay with the current Android OS, ya know keep with the times, when Motorola stops upgrading the X....