rubiX Focused 1.6

I just rooted yesterday (finally dancedroid) looking at all of the roms available this is the one that I want to try out first, with the black juice theme. I don't really know the first thing about flashing a rom though..

- I'm not deodexed, I don't really understand how to do it.. is it necessary for this rom?

- The two programs that I need are the Bootstrap and Clockwork Recovery?

I understand that the most important thing to do is create a backup and it seems as easy as dragging the .zip over onto the sdcard then clearing the data/cache and then installing the .zip

I just want to make sure I have the correct programs before I try anything like this lmao.. I had a few heart attacks during the rooting process

Oh and a quick question.. since this removes the blur programs and my backup is going to have them if I ever restore to the backup will I have to manually put the blur programs back on? Or does that not matter

Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy using rubiX Focused -- it's a great ROM!

1 - You don't have to deodex to install a ROM -- most ROMs (and definitely rubiX Focused) are deodexed.

2 - The program you need is Droid X Recovery Bootstrap.

To install the ROM, follow the instructions below (edited form the first post), and you should be in good shape. Definitely let us know if you run into any hitches, or have any trouble, there are lots of helpful, smart people in this forum!

- Download the ROM -- http://bit.ly/d8HMa3

- Use a file explorer on your Droid X to move the rom .zip file from wherever it is saved ("download" if you use the default browser) to the root of your SDCard.

- Open Droid X Recovery Bootstrap.

- Press "Bootstrap Recovery" and press "Yes" to grant Superuser permissions (and make sure to check the button to save this).

- Press "Reboot Recovery"

- The phone will boot up into a new DOS like recovery mode with green text and a black background. Use the volume keys on your phone to navigate up and down, and use the camera key to select menu items.

- Scroll down to backup/restore and make a backup of your current ROM

- When the backup completes (this can take some time), scroll to "Install .Zip from SDCard."

- Then select "Choose Zip From SD Card".

- Scroll to the .zip file of the rubiX ROM you saved to your SDCard.

- Select Yes.

- Hold your breath.

- Wait for everything to run.

- Press Reboot.

- Enjoy the super cool rubiX boot logo!

I hope I've been somewhat clear. I'm exhausted from being up all night flashing the .sbf on my phone to have a truly clean start on this ROM (see my post a few posts back).

Happy trails!
dancedroid

Hmm, Missed the part in the instructions where you wipe data/cache. If coming from pretty much anything OTHER than Focused.. you NEED to wipe data/cache, or it will likely send you into boot loop. :S

Bootloops are farily easy to come out of.... but YES -- CLEAR DATA AND CACHE before loading any ROM --- I have made this mistake in my day a few times and almost puked I got so scared.

Easy fix: Battery pull - Clear data and cache and reboot.

Battery life is MUCH better since I did SBF/unroot -reroot - loaded rom - loaded theme.... Before battery with rubiX only last 5 hours... so far this AM looks good.

Quite the process however to improve battery... LOVE rubix though (and black juice)

I just rooted yesterday (finally dancedroid) looking at all of the roms available this is the one that I want to try out first, with the black juice theme. I don't really know the first thing about flashing a rom though..

- I'm not deodexed, I don't really understand how to do it.. is it necessary for this rom?

I understand that the most important thing to do is create a backup and it seems as easy as dragging the .zip over onto the sdcard then clearing the data/cache and then installing the .zip

I just want to make sure I have the correct programs before I try anything like this lmao.. I had a few heart attacks during the rooting process

Oh and a quick question.. since this removes the blur programs and my backup is going to have them if I ever restore to the backup will I have to manually put the blur programs back on? Or does that not matter

1 - You don't have to deodex to install a ROM -- most ROMs (and definitely rubiX Focused) are deodexed.

To install the ROM, follow the instructions below (edited form the first post), and you should be in good shape. Definitely let us know if you run into any hitches, or have any trouble, there are lots of helpful, smart people in this forum!

- Use a file explorer on your Droid X to move the rom .zip file from wherever it is saved ("download" if you use the default browser) to the root of your SDCard.

- Press "Bootstrap Recovery" and press "Yes" to grant Superuser permissions (and make sure to check the button to save this).

- The phone will boot up into a new DOS like recovery mode with green text and a black background. Use the volume keys on your phone to navigate up and down, and use the camera key to select menu items.

- When the backup completes (this can take some time), scroll to "Install .Zip from SDCard."

- Select Yes.

- Hold your breath.

- Press Reboot.

I hope I've been somewhat clear. I'm exhausted from being up all night flashing the .sbf on my phone to have a truly clean start on this ROM (see my post a few posts back).

Happy trails!
dancedroid

Hmm, Missed the part in the instructions where you wipe data/cache. If coming from pretty much anything OTHER than Focused.. you NEED to wipe data/cache, or it will likely send you into boot loop. :S

Okay so after I backup what I have now I wipe data/cache and then I can install the zip. A few more questions

- He said put the .zip on the root of the SDcard. I was under the impression that I just downloaded the .zip file and threw it on the phone with USB Mass Storage. Can someone clear this up?

- Will all the Blur apps removed from me phone be permanently removed? Or if my backup has all Blur functionality when I restore to backup will it have all of the Blur stuff back?

- And would wiping data/cache clear something like my save file for Gameboid? I'm currently involved in some Pokemon ass kicking that I'd rather not restart.

- I found the .apk file for Bootstrap Recovery, but I haven't played with .apk's since I first got my phone months ago. Do I just drag them onto the phone via usb mass storage and then it will prompt me to install on the phone?

Thanks a bunch guys

Last edited:
"Okay so after I backup what I have now I wipe data/cache and then I can install the zip. A few more questions

- He said put the .zip on the root of the SDcard. I was under the impression that I just downloaded the .zip file and threw it on the phone with USB Mass Storage. Can someone clear this up?

- Will all the Blur apps removed from me phone be permanently removed? Or if my backup has all Blur functionality when I restore to backup will it have all of the Blur stuff back?

- And would wiping data/cache clear something like my save file for Gameboid? I'm currently involved in some Pokemon ass kicking that I'd rather not restart.

- I found the .apk file for Bootstrap Recovery, but I haven't played with .apk's since I first got my phone months ago. Do I just drag them onto the phone via usb mass storage and then it will prompt me to install on the phone?"

-- Root of SD just means dont put it in a folder... just make sure it is a zip file.

-- Blur stuff will be removed unless you run a recovery and go back to blur.

-- yes it will erase pokemon

"Okay so after I backup what I have now I wipe data/cache and then I can install the zip. A few more questions

- I found the .apk file for Bootstrap Recovery, but I haven't played with .apk's since I first got my phone months ago. Do I just drag them onto the phone via usb mass storage and then it will prompt me to install on the phone?"

-- Root of SD just means dont put it in a folder... just make sure it is a zip file.

Nooooo not my Pokemon :icon_evil: is there any way I can keep that?

EDIT: Perhaps I could locate the file on my computer and make a copy of it for my computer and once I update the rom I could transfer the copy on my computer back into the GameBoid folder?

Last edited:

- Select Yes.

- Hold your breath.

- Press Reboot.

Happy trails!
dancedroid

Many thanks for the edit, Sephtin. I'm not surprised I missed something at 2 am!

Nooooo not my Pokemon :icon_evil: is there any way I can keep that?

EDIT: Perhaps I could locate the file on my computer and make a copy of it for my computer and once I update the rom I could transfer the copy on my computer back into the GameBoid folder?

You could try downloading and using Titanium Backup, which will back up your apps and their data/saved information, though I would caution you against restoring all of your apps and data via this app when flashing to a new ROM.

I've read all 80 some pages but don't remember seeing any issues with the custom battery manager. I can select custom but when I try to edit it it just sends me back to the main settings screen. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

So I just switched from ApeX to RubiX and I really like this ROM. Seems to be a little snappier, and I love the 10% battery increments.

There's only two problems I've noticed with this ROM:

1) The multitouch keyboard is not included, so it doesn't have the speech to text option for texting, Gtalk, etc.

2) I've already read some others having this problem with Gmail not syncing properly. I know people are saying this is a Google/Gmail/Android issue, but I never had this problem with the stock Froyo build or the ApeX ROM.

Great job on the ROM, hopefully these things can be addressed in the next update. :D

So I just switched from ApeX to RubiX and I really like this ROM. Seems to be a little snappier, and I love the 10% battery increments.

1) The multitouch keyboard is not included, so it doesn't have the speech to text option for texting, Gtalk, etc.

2) I've already read some others having this problem with Gmail not syncing properly. I know people are saying this is a Google/Gmail/Android issue, but I never had this problem with the stock Froyo build or the ApeX ROM.

Great job on the ROM, hopefully these things can be addressed in the next update. :D

Not sure about the gmail sync, cause mine works fine.

But for the keyboard, have you ever tried swype? Personally my favorite and it has the speech feature.

But for the keyboard, have you ever tried swype? Personally my favorite and it has the speech feature.

Yes, I've tried Swype but since I type in both English & Spanish it doesn't work well for me. :(

Yes, I've tried Swype but since I type in both English & Spanish it doesn't work well for me. :(

Ah.....gotchya.

Is there a way to shut off the shutter sound for the camera? I know apex has a script for it. Didn't know if there was something similar here or something I can do via root explorer.

Safe to assume its in the build.prop?

Is there a way to shut off the shutter sound for the camera? I know apex has a script for it. Didn't know if there was something similar here or something I can do via root explorer.

Here's the way I've always done it:

1. Go into Clock > Alarm > Settings and uncheck Alarm In Silent Mode
2. Put your phone in Silent

Now when you use the camera you won't hear the shutter sound because the shutter sound is considered an "alarm sound". ;)

IIRC the app "Root Tools" by jrummy has an option to disable the camera shutter sound....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Back