Often imitated, never duplicated! Focused 1.8.6

210droid

Reaction score
trying to go back to stock 2.2; to be able to update. can some one list steps to do so without saying try sbf'ing? can you list steps pls? ive already tried, but will not work for me. i just wanna be able to make nandroid of all-stock 2.2. then re flash be able to reflash back to rubiXFocused 1.8.6 2.2.1 . can someone pls help?

sephtin

Reaction score
trying to go back to stock 2.2; to be able to update. can some one list steps to do so without saying try sbf'ing? can you list steps pls? ive already tried, but will not work for me. i just wanna be able to make nandroid of all-stock 2.2. then re flash be able to reflash back to rubiXFocused 1.8.6 2.2.1 . can someone pls help?

rootzwiki dot com has the files, and a quick and dirty tutorial, but not detailed.
More detailed info here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/68222-unbricking-your-droid-x.html

Describing each step of .sbf'ing is easy. Describing all the "what to do if" 's, can take forever.

Hope that helps!

210droid

Reaction score
Sephtin- thanks for your quick response as well as the second link

bozchevelle

Reaction score
Does anyone no how to get Tango to work with this Rom 1.8.9, Or will it not work with it?

Thank you to all for your help. :):)

sephtin

Reaction score
Does anyone no how to get Tango to work with this Rom 1.8.9, Or will it not work with it?

Thank you to all for your help. :):)

More info plz?
By "Tango", I assume you mean an app.. an appbrain search brings up 10 different Tango's, everything from emotes, to smart.fm client, to video calls... ?

Also, what's happening when you try to use it? Does it give an error? What fails?
The more info you provide, the easier it is to try and help. :)

akiles

Reaction score
The following is a fix for the known bug - sysctl.conf tweaks not being applied.

1) In /etc/install-recovery.sh, underneath #!/system/bin/sh, add:

Code:
busybox sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf
this cause the tweaks to be executed at boot, and therefore persistent through reboot

2) In /etc/sysctl.conf, change your code to look like this:

Code:
vm.swappiness = 0
vm.min_free_kbytes = 2048
vm.dirty_ratio = 95
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 60
vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=1

3) Reboot, then go to terminal emulator or adb and type cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio. If you get a value of 95, you were successful.

I quickly fixed this up yesterday when it was pointed out that the tweaks weren't active, but decided to test the tweaks for a while to give you guys some better feedback.

You'll notice that i removed vm.vfs_cache_pressure=12. The parameter affect's the kernel's tendency to reclaim dentries and inodes, and lowering it favors retaining over reclaiming. By removing it, the parameter defaults to 100. I prefer to keep it at 100, because I noticed that the value of 12 caused my phone to be much snappier at boot and in the first few hours, but as time went by it got slower and slower. By hour 8 it was turtling so hard that I had to reboot just to get back to homescreen.

You'll also noticed that I added vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=1. This changes the parameter to 1 from the default of 0. With a value of 0, if your phone detects that an app is using too much memory, it will go down your list of running apps and terminate some of them to free up memory. With a value of 1, your phone will terminate the app that is using too much memory instead. I prefer a value of 1, this way memory leaks are dealt with swiftly.

I can also confirm an increase in battery life, with no sacrifice to speed.
I was ready to try this, but before i tried the command dirty_ratio and got 95.
Then I opened sysctl and although I have a couple of extra entries, the lines in your code appeared in my file.
I updated to the latest ROM version on 11/24... maybe the tweaks were fixed in the ROM by then?

Sorry if this has been addressed later, I started reading the thread from page#1 and I'm on 37... still have several more to go. Luckily work is S L O W today :)

akiles

Reaction score
1.8.6 had my phone running FLAWLESSLY with the exception of battery life, but I am a battery hog running streaming music or winamp the whole time and listening via bluetooth.

I did notice certain themes magnified this issue..

Don't want to spoil anything, but there are some awesome changes coming!!!
WinAmp made my batt die in 3hrs. Removed it and it goes from 100% to 40-30% with in 10 hours. -A record for me :)

sephtin

Reaction score
1.8.6 had my phone running FLAWLESSLY with the exception of battery life, but I am a battery hog running streaming music or winamp the whole time and listening via bluetooth.

I did notice certain themes magnified this issue..

Don't want to spoil anything, but there are some awesome changes coming!!!
WinAmp made my batt die in 3hrs. Removed it and it goes from 100% to 40-30% with in 10 hours. -A record for me :)

Seems WinAmp also causes issues when connecting to computers... Tries to mount USB no matter what mode you're connecting via (example: charge only mode)... I think some people have suggested poweramp.. ?

akiles

Reaction score
Messaging App

See the attached picture of the messaging app.

The new msg button shows a picture of a speaker with an "x" (for mute?) instead of the usual blank page and pencil icon for new msg.

It has always been like that since I first instelled rubiX (think version 0.6??).

Am I the only one seeing this? -The msg app seems to be working fine, so it appears to be just a cosmetic issue.

Btw, I have no idea what that txt msg is.

Inkarnit

Reaction score

The new msg button shows a picture of a speaker with an "x" (for mute?) instead of the usual blank page and pencil icon for new msg.

It has always been like that since I first instelled rubiX (think version 0.6??).

Am I the only one seeing this? -The msg app seems to be working fine, so it appears to be just a cosmetic issue.

If it isn't bothering you I wouldn't worry about it, but it seems to be an error for you... I see the normal Compose icon with the piece of paper and a folded corner with a pencil across it.

akiles

Reaction score
I was afraid someone would reply saying that the problem was unique to me :(

It has been like that in every single incarnation of rubiX I've had. Even after doing a clean install.

Do you know if replacing /system/app/mms.apk with one that is known to have the right icon would fix it?

BTW, I'm running 1.8.9, android version 2.2.1; system version 2.3.20mb810.verizon.en.us and Septhin's black bar mod. I have DroidOverclock v1.9.0 but running stock volts and freqs.

If it isn't bothering you I wouldn't worry about it, but it seems to be an error for you... I see the normal Compose icon with the piece of paper and a folded corner with a pencil across it.

akiles

Reaction score
I tried reflashing the rom again. After a full charge, I wiped everything (batt stats, cache... everything). I also went to advanced and selected the option to clear the davlik cache.

This is the msg I received:
E:Can’t mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(File exists)
Dalvik Cache wiped

Is that ok? Could that be the reason why I'm getting the wrong pic in the mms app?

The phone is working fine, btw.

I was afraid someone would reply saying that the problem was unique to me :(

It has been like that in every single incarnation of rubiX I've had. Even after doing a clean install.

Do you know if replacing /system/app/mms.apk with one that is known to have the right icon would fix it?

BTW, I'm running 1.8.9, android version 2.2.1; system version 2.3.20mb810.verizon.en.us and Septhin's black bar mod. I have DroidOverclock v1.9.0 but running stock volts and freqs.

scubieman

Reaction score
I have two issues with ROM. I believe it's my fault but seeing if anyone else has issues.

First. I unlock phone sometimes it freezes then reboots. I heard of amp called no lock. This was not a problem up till a couple days ago.

Second. My usb mode does not work unless I reboot phone then it works(not a big deal)

third. anyone know apps that HATE and do NOT work with this ROM?

sephtin

Reaction score
I have two issues with ROM. I believe it's my fault but seeing if anyone else has issues.

First. I unlock phone sometimes it freezes then reboots. I heard of amp called no lock. This was not a problem up till a couple days ago.

Second. My usb mode does not work unless I reboot phone then it works(not a big deal)

third. anyone know apps that HATE and do NOT work with this ROM?

1) No Lock should help. If you like the lock, widgetlocker is nice to get it back (and customizable).
2) USB should hopefully be fixed in 1.9.0. Both versions should be out any day now... (by both versions, I mean leak, and non-leak).
3) Only thing I know that had problems, was LauncherPro, widgets didn't update sometimes... was an issue with LPP. OH, and a few Blur apps... but, that's part of this being a blur-less ROM.