Why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

cloudstrife05

Reaction score

SmD71nG

Reaction score
I upgraded purely for a larger screen. I use sketchbook mobile a lot. The D1 sits proudly in the living room used as a hdpc remote and quick internet searches. I am not really having a great experience with the dx, but I still need to root it and see if stablility is better than stock.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jeremycnly

Reaction score
Well comming from the blackberry camp I love the droid 1 and still amazed at its raw power. Stock. I said this in another thread when LTE becomes familiarized and broader around the nation and when software starts actually taking advantage of these new dual core phones there is no real reason to upgrade other then just because you can.

HOW ABOUT THUNDERBOLT ITS AMAZING?

Thunderbolt, impressive, yet doesn't catch my eye as much as a droid 3 or droid x 2 and I don't want to even talk about htc sense...ugh...

SO WHEN U GONNA UPGRADE THAT DINOSAUR?

Q4 2011-ish when I see some real optimization of dual core phones and possibly the introduction of quad core.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been eligible for an upgrade since last October. My rooted Droid is still a very solid device. I'll use it until it dies.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've owned an "OG" Droid, Incredible, and the X. I'm now back on my original Droid, month to month, on VZW. (thanks to craigslist and Ebay, had no problem covering the ETF on the other devices!)

As silly as it sounds, it felt like coming home, when I started using the D1 again... there was always something about the other phones I just didn't find quite right. The D1 is perfect (for me).

Would more RAM be nice? Sure... but with a little root/OC, it still runs better than most phones out there.

As a sidenote, the OP's question really boils down to our philosophical differences in how we treat our "things"! ;)

edit: oh yeah... vanilla android ftw, as well

bullswife98

Reaction score
I clean my cache once a day and davlick cache once a week to keep things snappy. No need for a dx. I'm ride or die with my OG Droid until it dies or the community stops supporting it.

+1 here! Even with my replacement droid1 love it although I had the upgrade to 2.2.2 I will gain root accsess tonite and as long as the devs still support the org droid I see no need to change out my phone! The droid1 has to be one of the easiest os to make roms for vrs all the others. Sure I can see where the challange is would be for other phones and roms for them and that's great but,if they can make roms for those phones then it should be n/p to make roms for org droid,maybe even in their sleep. Lol

rickuski

Reaction score
I loved my OG Droid. So much support, so many roms, overclocked amazingness. My motivations for becoming a Droid X user were:

1) Free - buy one get one free deal combined with my wife needing a new phone... this was the primary reason.

2) More screen = first time ever didn't feel a need for a real keyboard

3) 8 meg camera... nice

4) HDMI - very nice, particularly when combined with emulators and wiimote connection :) (downside is I prefer blurless and Liberty in particular, but no HDMI support without blur - a quick nandroid backup away)

5) Almost as fast as my Droid... ok, that was initially, now its slightly faster but barely noticeable. My OG Droid was insanely fast.

6) I was able to get my best friend into VZ and Droid on my plan for the cost of data... now he knows what I was so enthralled with lol.

In summary, we're it not buy one get one I would have happily stayed with my D1. When I get together with my bud I usually play with the D1 a bit lol. It's awesome, but so is free with slight upgrades.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Upgrade yes, retire never.

Swyped from a Droid

I like that

If they stop supporting it and I need an app or something then this becomes an MP3 player and classic gaming device.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums App

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just played with a TB at the store for the first time... Gotta admit, pretty slick, extremely fast, and better ergonomically than the D1... Consider me officially tempted...

Sent from my Droid

Ubermicro13

Reaction score
I loved my d1 but eventually developers will stop supporting it. I didn't need to upgrade but I'm glad I did. My droid x is a much better phone even with the locked bootloader. I also loved my d1 so much that it was the first phone I've ever had that I didn't upgrade from the day my upgrade was available. It took me 3 months before I upgraded.

I just traded my DroidX for a Droid1. Best choice I've ever made.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as the battery holds up, and the processor doesn't melt because of my Overclocking obsession, what would a person need from another phone?
Seriously? You might want to look at other similar statements made in the past, such as:

"640K is all anyone will ever need."
"Everything has already been invented."

...and so on. :icon_rolleyes:

Hardware limitations alone are one reason.

My Droid has a keyboard. It can run at 1 Ghz, no problem. I mean sure, the graphics processor could stand for more power. Ok, so maybe it doesn't have the most memory, but for a smartphone, it's pretty powerful. Oh and did I mention it has a keyboard?
So 1GHz is all you'll ever need?

Not everyone values a physical keyboard.

In general, I'd say be careful assuming that your needs/wants are identical to everyone else's. They're not. It's great if you're happy with your Droid and can't imagine upgrading. However, that doesn't mean that everyone else is the same. Don't get stuck with your tunnel vision.

Last edited:

jchammer123

Reaction score
Takeshi,
It sounds like you're getting kind of defensive about peoples love for their droids. I didn't hear anyone saying that this is how everyone should feel, they're simply posting their opinion. Isn't that what this is about?

modette

Reaction score
As long as the battery holds up, and the processor doesn't melt because of my Overclocking obsession, what would a person need from another phone?
Seriously? You might want to look at other similar statements made in the past, such as:

"640K is all anyone will ever need."
"Everything has already been invented."

...and so on. :icon_rolleyes:

Hardware limitations alone are one reason.

My Droid has a keyboard. It can run at 1 Ghz, no problem. I mean sure, the graphics processor could stand for more power. Ok, so maybe it doesn't have the most memory, but for a smartphone, it's pretty powerful. Oh and did I mention it has a keyboard?
So 1GHz is all you'll ever need?

Not everyone values a physical keyboard.

In general, I'd say be careful assuming that your needs/wants are identical to everyone else's. They're not. It's great if you're happy with your Droid and can't imagine upgrading. However, that doesn't mean that everyone else is the same. Don't get stuck with your tunnel vision.

At the end of the day it is a PHONE so yes, you don't even need 1Ghz...LOL You never will need more. Well maybe you do, because you like to surf the web on a small device *shrug* as you said everyone has different needs and wants so don't come down on the guy for saying what he feels his needs and wants are.

I will never understand why people feel they need to be connected, especially to others they never meet.