Why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by akhenax, Mar 18, 2011.

1. rustydogg

rustydogg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had lots of phones over the years and I must say that Moto did have some bad ones like that Razr or whaever it was called and some bluish phone that I had a long time ago that fell apart right after my 1 year contract was up.
    Also I think that I left cingular because a moto phone that I had took a dump before my contract was up. This was back in the days when a simple Nokia costs like $150 dollars.
    However with the Droid Motorola really did their research I believe that they had new management and a new team for the Droid.
    I have owned about five OG Droids and one Droid 2. Right now I have two OG Droid that I use and one Droid 2 as my main phone. They are great phones and great quality.
    I travel a lot and use different phone numbers so I go through phones a lot. I have not had to return a single Droid that I use. Sure they have small bugs here and there that I have fixed but you can not expect something perfect from such a complex device. My wife's Iphone 4 has acted up more then my Droids.....
    Companies have their ups and downs and the Droid is what brought Motorola back up IMHO.

2. gatecitycanes

gatecitycanes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If a Android phone came along that had a 4.3 inch screen and a keyboard I'd have to think really hard about that. Also, if my phone really couldn't get apps anymore because the OS was so outdated I guess I'd have to consider changing then.

My Droid is still my favorite phone. Sure, I see features here and there that would be nice but overall nothing that makes me want to swap it out.

3. modette

modette Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see no reason to buy phones just to buy them. I keep them till the contract is out, typically two years plus then some. Last one was kept for a year after it was out....a new battery is cheaper then signing a contract and being stuck. Besides form day one I have had the extended battery, so I got the OEM one that was used for one week as a backup. I've never had a cellphone break (well I did toss one at a wall once, cost $20 to repair...new case).

Wife and I are not into the whole smartphone thing. We don't text so we don't have the text plan. We rarely use the web, and mostly we use them as PHONES. I know shocking considering people tend not to use them as such devices now. Once in a blue moon if I have to wait like at a doctors office I play a game or surf the web. Still I don't like the screens of any smartphones...to me they are all too small...one reason why I can not stand laptops. I have a GPS, so the phone does not come out for that duty...and I tend to know where I am going anyways.

So that also means our phones are stock, I could careless about ROMs or rooting. I'm probably the typical user except I do visit forums and what not. Most people don't do **** with their cellphones other then use them as they are.

So yep, we plan to keep are D1's for sometime...and after the contract is up we probably just go back to clam phones...maybe even ditch Verizon and go with one of those no contract providers that offers Unlimited everything for a low price. $120 for two lines is stupid. Most calls I make now a days is from my magicjack line so the cellphone never uses any minutes.

Oh and all this hype on bigger screens means a bigger device. Also it means a wider area to potentially break. I ride motorcycles and off road last thing I want to do is worry about a cellphone.

4. PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Because the color and fancy look of my camera button rubbed off and now it's ugly plastic white.

Joking aside, I'm sure MOST of us with Androids could get away with something MUCH less than the phones we have. Though this is only an opinion, I doubt MANY of us actually even require a SMART PHONE of any kind. Most of the features they provide are just a convenient alternative for myself!

My phones go through some wear, I need to upgrade them. Usually Dr. Pepper, Sweet Tea spill, or something preventable, but it happens. Once even got a phone ran over by a car. I can't think of any reason why we would need an upgrade but I agree with above posters that say some need the latest gadget.

If you can keep your phone in perfect condition and looking new for two years, working perfectly and looking as visually appealing as when you first bought it, then props to you. I am not so good at that so I look forward to the next upgrade after I've got a chunk of plastic missing from each of the corners from dropping it on cement or pavement.

Bleh.. I need a Nokia candybar style phone those things are indestructible . (almost)
    Too bad they don't kick ass like the M Droid 1.

#40 PetRiLJoe, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  5. Rymanh24

Rymanh24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I plan on keeping my OG Droid till the day it dies or I can renew and get a new better phone.

The OG Droid is a great phone, but I am really starting to get attracted to the new bigger candybar phones. I started with an LG Dare about 2 years ago, and I thought that was a great phone, then I upgraded to my OG Droid and thought damn this phone is huge and heavy!!!

But now with 4.3 inch screens coming out, I want one of those. I'm a big guy and I like big things so I will take the biggest screen I can get. And I am starting to dislike the physical keyboard. After playing with my fathers Droid Incredible, I loved how lightweight his was and how fast it was.

Now today, after playing with the Thunderbolt, I love how big the screen is and how fast it is. It makes me resent my Droid more and more lol. Then I played with a Samsung Fascinate, and while it wasn't as powerful I loved the colorful and brightly vivid screen.

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Member

Ratings:
    +2
  7. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I am still rockin' my D1 and probably will for months to come...haven't found good reason to upgrade yet -

8. blue

blue Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't want to retire my D1. But it took a early retirement on its own. The screen just quit working on it. So I had to upgrade to the tbolt.

9. Pupalei

Pupalei Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please let it be so. That article said everything except "unlocked bootloader". Irrational hope?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

10. royolpunk

royolpunk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1. Im still rocking my D1

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums App

11. cloudstrife05

cloudstrife05 Member

Ratings:
    +1
  12. SmD71nG

SmD71nG Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded purely for a larger screen. I use sketchbook mobile a lot. The D1 sits proudly in the living room used as a hdpc remote and quick internet searches. I am not really having a great experience with the dx, but I still need to root it and see if stablility is better than stock.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Search tags for this page

make original droid faster