Why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

jchammer123

Reaction score
Well no disrespect, but there are plenty of Droid owners out there that completely disagree with you. The D1 is by far the best and most stable phone I've ever owned. I've never had a single problem with my phone that wasn't easily fixable if you do a little research. For the original Droid to still be the most popular android phone around, that has to say something about the quality of the phone regardless of your opinion about Motorola.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mjforte

Reaction score
Honestly I would have kept my OG Droid if it had more RAM. IMO that's its biggest downfall.

Sent from my Bolt!

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Honestly I would have kept my OG Droid if it had more RAM. IMO that's its biggest downfall.

Sent from my Bolt!

Exactly, and the Droid 1's inability to keep WiFi (yeah, I tried everything from unprotected router, never turn off, every kernel, and static ip) :p. I'm loving HTC Thunderbolt for many reasons - not having to worry about limited memory and I can keep WiFi on all the time (could with the Droid I but it wouldn't remain connected to internet).

kookk

Reaction score
I love my Droid, I have one complaint, I have large hands and the screen is a bit small for them, but that's it.

Got mine at 1.1ghz running PE and it flies like a bat out of hell and does all I need it to and then some.

I don't get an upgrade for just under a year and a half, so by the time I upgrade I expect there to be enormous leaps in technology

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I have a list of what I want for my next phone. The main reason for an upgrade would be LTE. IMO the Droid has Rev A which is as fast as you're going to get with vzw 3G service. So what's the point in getting another 3G phone. Plus I want a good jump in hardware so it can last as long.

My family all got droids this year (X, Incredible, and Pro). I have to say there is a difference in speed and performance. The natural 1GHz CPU and the double RAM is great for easy swapping and restoring apps. Plus having more then 256 MB of internal memory is great.

The OG Droid is great but sooner or latter you're going to want some more power.

kparks

Reaction score
Well no disrespect, but there are plenty of Droid owners out there that completely disagree with you. The D1 is by far the best and most stable phone I've ever owned. I've never had a single problem with my phone that wasn't easily fixable if you do a little research. For the original Droid to still be the most popular android phone around, that has to say something about the quality of the phone regardless of your opinion about Motorola.

well if everyone liked the same thing there would only need to be one company LOL

rustydogg

Reaction score
You forgot the number 1 problem its a MOTO..... JUNK!! but if u just love moto i guess we all have different experiences but MOTO will never get my buisness again

Really? And how many Motorola Droids have you owned?

The Original Droid put Android on the map. It also was named Time Magazined Device of the year, 2009.

Yeah, it was a real hunk of junk. Go get a Blackberry Storm and then talk to me about how bad Droid is. It's still a great phone.
lol man looks like i hit a soft spot i have not owned a og droid but i have owned plenty of moto devices to form a opinion and after seeing my best friend go through about 4 of them we share the same opinion! and my co-worker is on his 3rd droid x due to constant reboots and freezing.. moto was a crap company look where they where at before the droid 1.... in the dumpster... and i also think android and good advertisement put the droid on the map.. not the other way around!

I've had lots of phones over the years and I must say that Moto did have some bad ones like that Razr or whaever it was called and some bluish phone that I had a long time ago that fell apart right after my 1 year contract was up.
Also I think that I left cingular because a moto phone that I had took a dump before my contract was up. This was back in the days when a simple Nokia costs like $150 dollars.
However with the Droid Motorola really did their research I believe that they had new management and a new team for the Droid.
I have owned about five OG Droids and one Droid 2. Right now I have two OG Droid that I use and one Droid 2 as my main phone. They are great phones and great quality.
I travel a lot and use different phone numbers so I go through phones a lot. I have not had to return a single Droid that I use. Sure they have small bugs here and there that I have fixed but you can not expect something perfect from such a complex device. My wife's Iphone 4 has acted up more then my Droids.....
Companies have their ups and downs and the Droid is what brought Motorola back up IMHO.

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
If a Android phone came along that had a 4.3 inch screen and a keyboard I'd have to think really hard about that. Also, if my phone really couldn't get apps anymore because the OS was so outdated I guess I'd have to consider changing then.

My Droid is still my favorite phone. Sure, I see features here and there that would be nice but overall nothing that makes me want to swap it out.

modette

Reaction score
I see no reason to buy phones just to buy them. I keep them till the contract is out, typically two years plus then some. Last one was kept for a year after it was out....a new battery is cheaper then signing a contract and being stuck. Besides form day one I have had the extended battery, so I got the OEM one that was used for one week as a backup. I've never had a cellphone break (well I did toss one at a wall once, cost $20 to repair...new case).

Wife and I are not into the whole smartphone thing. We don't text so we don't have the text plan. We rarely use the web, and mostly we use them as PHONES. I know shocking considering people tend not to use them as such devices now. Once in a blue moon if I have to wait like at a doctors office I play a game or surf the web. Still I don't like the screens of any smartphones...to me they are all too small...one reason why I can not stand laptops. I have a GPS, so the phone does not come out for that duty...and I tend to know where I am going anyways.

So that also means our phones are stock, I could careless about ROMs or rooting. I'm probably the typical user except I do visit forums and what not. Most people don't do **** with their cellphones other then use them as they are.

So yep, we plan to keep are D1's for sometime...and after the contract is up we probably just go back to clam phones...maybe even ditch Verizon and go with one of those no contract providers that offers Unlimited everything for a low price. $120 for two lines is stupid. Most calls I make now a days is from my magicjack line so the cellphone never uses any minutes.

Oh and all this hype on bigger screens means a bigger device. Also it means a wider area to potentially break. I ride motorcycles and off road last thing I want to do is worry about a cellphone.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Because the color and fancy look of my camera button rubbed off and now it's ugly plastic white.

Joking aside, I'm sure MOST of us with Androids could get away with something MUCH less than the phones we have. Though this is only an opinion, I doubt MANY of us actually even require a SMART PHONE of any kind. Most of the features they provide are just a convenient alternative for myself!

My phones go through some wear, I need to upgrade them. Usually Dr. Pepper, Sweet Tea spill, or something preventable, but it happens. Once even got a phone ran over by a car. I can't think of any reason why we would need an upgrade but I agree with above posters that say some need the latest gadget.

If you can keep your phone in perfect condition and looking new for two years, working perfectly and looking as visually appealing as when you first bought it, then props to you. I am not so good at that so I look forward to the next upgrade after I've got a chunk of plastic missing from each of the corners from dropping it on cement or pavement.

Bleh.. I need a Nokia candybar style phone those things are indestructible . (almost)
Too bad they don't kick ass like the M Droid 1.

Last edited:

Rymanh24

Reaction score
I plan on keeping my OG Droid till the day it dies or I can renew and get a new better phone.

The OG Droid is a great phone, but I am really starting to get attracted to the new bigger candybar phones. I started with an LG Dare about 2 years ago, and I thought that was a great phone, then I upgraded to my OG Droid and thought damn this phone is huge and heavy!!!

But now with 4.3 inch screens coming out, I want one of those. I'm a big guy and I like big things so I will take the biggest screen I can get. And I am starting to dislike the physical keyboard. After playing with my fathers Droid Incredible, I loved how lightweight his was and how fast it was.

Now today, after playing with the Thunderbolt, I love how big the screen is and how fast it is. It makes me resent my Droid more and more lol. Then I played with a Samsung Fascinate, and while it wasn't as powerful I loved the colorful and brightly vivid screen.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am still rockin' my D1 and probably will for months to come...haven't found good reason to upgrade yet -

blue

Reaction score
I didn't want to retire my D1. But it took a early retirement on its own. The screen just quit working on it. So I had to upgrade to the tbolt.

Pupalei

Reaction score
This. Is. My. Next. Phone.

Motorola Droid 3 Coming: Stock Android and Awesome Dual-Core Performance | Androidheadlines.com

for the love of god I want this phone, like, yesterday. Everything this article says would make it perfect. Add to that, moto saying that all of their high end phones will have docking capabilities like the Atrix...
dancedroid

Please let it be so. That article said everything except "unlocked bootloader". Irrational hope?