If you could get your Droid replaced with a different model, which would you choose?

spiff72

Reaction score
Hey all...

Not sure if this is the right section to post in, but here goes...

I am on my third droid - 1st was replaced because of a green/pink blob discoloration in the center of my pictures (especially low light photos), 2nd was replaced for the same reason and the 'P' key was sticking. The latest phone has the same camera issue with the pink/green blob.

When I spoke with their support rep to get the last replacement, they said that they would mark my account and if I continue to have issues they may be able to get me into a different phone model.

If I call and try to get them to follow through on this offer, I need to figure out which phone I would get.

My thoughts are:
- DroidX
- Droid2
- Future phone (yet to be released) - I have until November until my warranty is up so there may be others coming out between now and that time (Droid Pro, Samsung Galaxy S, etc.)

I place a high priority on having a decent camera. I also want a processor of reasonable speed, and Froyo. My current Droid is rooted, running Pete's Bugless Beast 0.4.

I don't know if I need a hardware keyboard - I really have been getting accustomed to using Swype. I know that the X comes with Swype - not sure about Droid2. I am also afraid that the Droid2 basically has the same camera and software as the Droid1.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

r314bd

Reaction score
I've had the Droid1 for ~6 months and a couple of my friends recently got the Droid2 and DroidX so I got to play with both of them for a bit. If the slider keyboard isn't a priority, definitely go with the X, IMHO

searayman

Reaction score
The x or the droid 2. Just depends if you want qwerty or not. They both should be gettign custom roms to soon if thats your thing

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good question, if they were going to offer me a device of choice for warranty reasons and I didn't have to use my upgrade to get it, I would probably choose the DX, just to change it up...and then still have my upgrade left for the upcoming devices.

I have had my Droid since drop day and not one issue thus far, so I don't foresee me gaining this opportunity of choice, I am however looking forward to celebrating a one year Anniversary in a few months

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Droid Pro at the moment.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Droid Pro at the moment.

Me too, and I wouldn't ever waste my upgrade on anything that doesn't Tower above my Original Droid, but the recent news on the MoDroPro is all over the place, it makes it difficult to believe what is real and what is not...the name Droid Pro just sounds nice, but if all it is, is a D2 with World Capabilities I will have to pass, we might make it back to Germany every two years and a phone is my last concern when around family.

Now the MotoSick :icon_evil: that sounds like something I could relate too and form a bond with.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They didn't offer you a Blackberry Storm2?

I'm getting the Droid 2, because I'm a traditionalist and somebody just said they can figure out how to root it on a Mac.

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
The phone I really want is the Samsung Fascinate but I don't know if I'll be able to get it. ...and maybe if I wait long enough and the iPhone comes to Verizon, I'll probably get that.

OP
S

spiff72

Reaction score
Good point about the upgrade thing - I should have mentioned that if they do offer a replacement I am going to make sure that they aren't using up my upgrade eligibility (due in September) - I WILL use that for an upcoming phone if something catches my eye (Fascinate, iPhone (gasp!), Droid Pro, etc).

Thanks for the advice.

Those of you who have upgraded from Droid1 to DroidX - do you feel that the camera is improved over the original Droid? Especially in lower light conditions?

Reaction score
I had 4 droid1's last one broke and they gave me the choice of a D2 or Dx and i went with the D2. I'm so used to the keyboard and didnt need something as big as the DX

chamarette

Reaction score
Voice dictation

I never see anyone comment on the capability ofo the Droid for voice dictation. I have the original Droid upgraded to 2.1. I use the voice dictation for anything you can type on the Droid. For best results it helps if you speak like a robot in a monotone voice. Steady voice with your words evenly spaced. I have to correct from time to time, but I rarely type on my Droid. I am hoping they will upgrade the dictionary at some point. I think the voice dictation is an experiemental thing right now. Does anyone know if they are going to upgrade this feature?