Why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as the battery holds up, and the processor doesn't melt because of my Overclocking obsession, what would a person need from another phone?
Seriously? You might want to look at other similar statements made in the past, such as:

"640K is all anyone will ever need."
"Everything has already been invented."

...and so on. :icon_rolleyes:

Hardware limitations alone are one reason.

My Droid has a keyboard. It can run at 1 Ghz, no problem. I mean sure, the graphics processor could stand for more power. Ok, so maybe it doesn't have the most memory, but for a smartphone, it's pretty powerful. Oh and did I mention it has a keyboard?
So 1GHz is all you'll ever need?

Not everyone values a physical keyboard.

In general, I'd say be careful assuming that your needs/wants are identical to everyone else's. They're not. It's great if you're happy with your Droid and can't imagine upgrading. However, that doesn't mean that everyone else is the same. Don't get stuck with your tunnel vision.

At the end of the day it is a PHONE so yes, you don't even need 1Ghz...LOL You never will need more. Well maybe you do, because you like to surf the web on a small device *shrug* as you said everyone has different needs and wants so don't come down on the guy for saying what he feels his needs and wants are.

I will never understand why people feel they need to be connected, especially to others they never meet.

Because connecting via computer is much easier than investing in a face to face relationship.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mthorn79

Reaction score
Loved my Droid 1, but the Thunderbolt is just beyond belief. The LTE quickness is something to behold & HTC's new Sense & how lag free their homescreens are just puts my OG Droid to complete & utter shame! 1800+ Quadrant scores right out of the box, didn't even get that OCed at 1.2Ghz on my Droid pushing it to its limits! Never needed a keyboard & never used it, just useless weight. The screen on the T-bolt makes it soo much easier to type texts or read web pages. If all I did was use it for a phone I would've kept it but since I surf & text more than I use the phone, the T-bolt is the perfect fit! No lags, lockups or waiting for something to download!!

R.I.P. Droid 1...its been fun but I'm having even more fun now :biggrin:

turdbogls

Reaction score
i think most ppl with a D1 are happy with it, and really dont want to get rid of it.

until they get a new phone and realize that what you see on paper is not the same as actually using it. i was 95% happy with the D1, and sure it was more phone than i really needed. but when i bought my DX (too good of a deal to pass up) the difference was HUGE. Zero Lag, no redraws, FLASH was usable, games played perfectly. it just worked.

Droidfish

Reaction score
My D1 got stolen in January and now I have an iphone. There's definitely plenty of newer, more capable phones a year and half later but the D1 is still very relevant.

I've been keeping an eye on ebay waiting for the day I can get one in decent condition for under $100. I need something to load all my android app purchases on, plus I could use it as a devoted media device for my bluetooth speakers.

Overall it was a great little hobby device that opened the doors to linux for me and made me comfortable using the command line. It also showed how cool it was to have full control of a device.

Once I pick another one up I doubt it will fully retired for a while.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My D1 got stolen in January and now I have an iphone. There's definitely plenty of newer, more capable phones a year and half later but the D1 is still very relevant.

I've been keeping an eye on ebay waiting for the day I can get one in decent condition for under $100. I need something to load all my android app purchases on, plus I could use it as a devoted media device for my bluetooth speakers.

Overall it was a great little hobby device that opened the doors to linux for me and made me comfortable using the command line. It also showed how cool it was to have full control of a device.

Once I pick another one up I doubt it will fully retired for a while.

So are you glad to have an iPhone as your "daily driver" then? i.e. will you be staying on that bandwagon? Just curious

Fightnfire

Reaction score
I'm man enough to admit.

Envy. Plain and simple.

My wife who has never had a smart phone just picked herself up a Droid X ... After playing with it for a while, the phone, I fell in love with the screen size and feel of the phone. Needless to say, my new Droid X is on it's way ... I will miss my Original Gangsta Droid tho, yea .. nice flow.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm man enough to admit.

Envy. Plain and simple.

My wife who has never had a smart phone just picked herself up a Droid X ... After playing with it for a while, the phone, I fell in love with the screen size and feel of the phone. Needless to say, my new Droid X is on it's way ... I will miss my Original Gangsta Droid tho, yea .. nice flow.

I can see that. Whenever you get to experience something else better than what you have, you want the better item. This is why I'm not interested in test driving an MDX, I already know the ride, and the amenities will be better than my Pilot, so I stay away. :)

When I first got my Pilot, I was coming from an old '95 Pathfinder, so to me the Pilot was the greatest thing ever. What I'm saying is that it's all relative to what you know. If I never know how smooth a Droid X or Thunderbolt is, I won't envy it. If I ever get to experience it though, then that's when the envy will set in.

spillner

Reaction score
I absolutely love my D1(running SS5.1 OC 1gig). I have played with D2 and DX and to be honest I don't see the difference in performance between stock D1 and D2/DX. The DX is still way too laggy on the homescreen for me to justify dropping the D1. Now that the TB is here I'm hoping that the D3 will run as smooth.

Droidfish

Reaction score
So are you glad to have an iPhone as your "daily driver" then? i.e. will you be staying on that bandwagon? Just curious

Honestly the iphone is a great device, there were a couple things I had to get used to coming from android but after jailbreaking it the playing field was leveled. 2 things I like: the battery life and itunes. If the iphone didn't offer google sync I wouldn't have bought it though.

I mainly got the iphone so I could have a valid opinion on both and so far both ios and android can do everything I need to plus much more. To answer your question I'm a bit partial towards android but I'm not married to either. Let's face it, fan boy opinions aside, it's a great time to be consumer in the wireless tech market. The competition is driving the technology.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Honestly the iphone is a great device, there were a couple things I had to get used to coming from android but after jailbreaking it the playing field was leveled. 2 things I like: the battery life and itunes. If the iphone didn't offer google sync I wouldn't have bought it though.

I mainly got the iphone so I could have a valid opinion on both and so far both ios and android can do everything I need to plus much more. To answer your question I'm a bit partial towards android but I'm not married to either. Let's face it, fan boy opinions aside, it's a great time to be consumer in the wireless tech market. The competition is driving the technology.

Amen to that. I've been debating the iPhone 4 vs the Thunderbolt. Currently trying out the TB, but not settled on it yet with the battery issues. Always loved both platforms, but same as you, partial to Android.

wil318466

Reaction score
Sorry guys, you really can't compare the OG Droid to even something like the Fascinate. It's not even close.

I loved the OG Droid as much as anyone. Once I got the Fascinate I couldn't even look at the Droid. The screens are night and day, and the Droid had a fine screen.

With the newer devices it's probably even worse. Upgrade, it's worth it.

Gracklor

Reaction score
Now that I have rooted my droid and added UltimateDroid, I honestly think I am pretty much set until this phone dies. Yes, there is newer stuff, but if in really need something fancy (or I need advanced hardware), I'll use my laptop.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
D1 still going strong after 18 months. :icon_ banana: :knock on wood:

Been waiting on an upgrade for 6 months now... Keeping an eye out for a phone that fulfills the following:

4" inch+ screen
Dual Core Processor
Slide Out QWERTY
Verizon (Of course!)

kinfolk248

Reaction score
only thing the OG needs is a front camera and a tad bit of ram and we're good!!!!!

yeaaaaaaa boooooyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!