What are you doing with your retired D1?

TJConnery

Reaction score
Like many others, I loved my D1 so much that as soon as I was eligible for an upgrade, I jumped on the D2G. Can't say enough good things about the new device.

That being said, I don't think the D1 needs to go in the drawer with retired iPods and Cellphones. I have the desk stand for the D1, so I decided to make it a full time desk clock. However, even with a brand new battery, when running the desk clock, the charge can't keep up and the device looses charge over time. I have never noticed this behavior with the D1 when I used it as a deck clock before, the only difference being that I never used the stand before, I just plugged it into the charger. Now, for some reason, the accessory must be trickle charging, which is not enough juice to keep up with the display, even when it goes to screensaver mode. I turned off all syncs and updates, does not help. Any ideas why this is happening?

Also, and the reason for this thread, what are others doing with their old devices after the upgrade? I am finding that owning two droids is time consuming - I have to keep two devices updated now!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Sold mine months ago.....

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
First I gave it to my girlfriend, but I had her upgrade to a free Droid Incredible yesterday, so I took the D1 back and I'll probably just mess with roms and stuff.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still rocking 3 original droids in my house, mine,wife's and my sons. I haven't seen a phone yet that matches the Droid. We can still do everything all the new phones can. Not saying I don't like the X or INC cause I do catch my thoughts wandering that direction but I just can't justify a new phone yet. I'm holding out for the next wave of new phones, dual core!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My D1 is sitting on my desk, constantly being updated and ready to go just in case my D2 takes a dive on me.

My Blackberry Storm is also upstairs gathering a lot of dust.

pilot25

Reaction score
Still running. With it running the same software as my wife's X I see no reason to upgrade. When 3.0 comes out I'll jump ship but right now there is no point.

ruinah

Reaction score
I'm still rockin the D1. I see no need to update the phone unless it dies somehow or the dual cores come out (as said above). It's a great phone, lots of fun stuff to play with.

bodean

Reaction score
Still using mine. No reason at all to upgrade now. Why drop money on a non-4g phone??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

techguru

Reaction score
Like many others, I loved my D1 so much that as soon as I was eligible for an upgrade, I jumped on the D2G. Can't say enough good things about the new device.

That being said, I don't think the D1 needs to go in the drawer with retired iPods and Cellphones. I have the desk stand for the D1, so I decided to make it a full time desk clock. However, even with a brand new battery, when running the desk clock, the charge can't keep up and the device looses charge over time. I have never noticed this behavior with the D1 when I used it as a deck clock before, the only difference being that I never used the stand before, I just plugged it into the charger. Now, for some reason, the accessory must be trickle charging, which is not enough juice to keep up with the display, even when it goes to screensaver mode. I turned off all syncs and updates, does not help. Any ideas why this is happening?

Also, and the reason for this thread, what are others doing with their old devices after the upgrade? I am finding that owning two droids is time consuming - I have to keep two devices updated now!

I gave mine to a friend, but i might not have if I had seen this page first | Cellbots: Using Cellphones as Robotic Control Platforms

AS to the battery, are you using the Moto Charger, or another micro SD charger? Moto is 850ma. Some aftermarket ones are only 500ma which can't keep up with a Droid actively being used (although should be able to keep up if all you are using is the clock and all sync is off).

LiON batteries do have a limited life span and usually stop taking a full charge after about a year of use, which if you got your Droid early, you have certainly hit.

I still have my spare battery (friend didn't want it) so if you want to try out an alternate one, PM me. I am not sure if it is the original or the spare that I bought several months later, but it was still working well when I gave away my D1.

Alan

Sweettooth

Reaction score
It has yet to succumb to narcolepsy, inflamed joints, or Alzheimer's disease, so I'm still using it. Having recently installed LauncherPro makes it feel new all over again but moreover I'm waiting for the dual or quad core phones running Ice Cream or Jellybean. ;)