Why are There no Big Apps

ben96

Reaction score
Why are there so many developers making apps like We Rule,Ask.com,and others for the iphone and not Android.It doesn't make much since why they would wanna make apps for the iphone and not the droid.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the iPhone had a two year start. Currently, there are over 100k apps in the market and the number of Android users and developers is growing daily.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
For the same reason there are more developers for Windows than OS X, the market is bigger. However, unlike the computer market the smart phone market is volatile. Android will likely challenge and even surpass the iPhone user base in a year or so.

There are other reasons developers might prefer the iOS market, but this is the big one. Everything else can be overcome if developers see some real profit potential.

mbking37

Reaction score
Honestly im a bit disappointed with the lack of games android has compared to iphone. Almost makes me wish I held out for an iphone. Im hoping it gets better though.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

NattyBee

Reaction score
Honestly im a bit disappointed with the lack of games android has compared to iphone. Almost makes me wish I held out for an iphone. Im hoping it gets better though.

iPhone is directed at kids- thus it as many games, for kids are easily bought with such nonsense ;)

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
While I am disappointed in the lack of quality games compared to what iPhone has, that shouldn't be a deciding factor on getting a smartphone. I have an iPod touch for the games, but otherwise I prefer the droids.

mbking37

Reaction score
Apparently you all got the wrong message from my post.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, as someone who does have an apple product and does frequent their app store I can explain some of this.

First, the app store isn't cheap, and to be honest people who have Droids seem to be a little tight with the money. An app that cost 10.00 over there and nobody thinks twice about it people would be outraged about over here.

For example I have an im Client call im+. $9.95 it does twitter, gmail, aol, etc. People here wouldn't pay that for this type of an app. They'd be hard pressed to pay $5.00.

The selection of apps I suppose is somewhat better but not that much. I asked for some Role Playing Games for my iPad and I got 4 games to choose from. Not so great if you ask me.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Well, as someone who does have an apple product and does frequent their app store I can explain some of this.

First, the app store isn't cheap, and to be honest people who have Droids seem to be a little tight with the money. An app that cost 10.00 over there and nobody thinks twice about it people would be outraged about over here.

For example I have an im Client call im+. $9.95 it does twitter, gmail, aol, etc. People here wouldn't pay that for this type of an app. They'd be hard pressed to pay $5.00.

The selection of apps I suppose is somewhat better but not that much. I asked for some Role Playing Games for my iPad and I got 4 games to choose from. Not so great if you ask me.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I agree with you up to a point, but there are two things that should also be considered.

One, cheapness is all in the the perspective, and before the Android Market came along the iPhone app store was considered pretty darn cheap. Seriously, before the app store where could you get a decent program for less than a dollar? Since there are really only two top app stores, one is always going to seem more expensive.

Two, every since you've got your iPad you've compared the two stores almost solely on that basis. It is not really a fair comparison. We won't be able to make this comparison properly until there are a reasonable number of Android tablet apps available. I'll be very surprised if the average tablet apps don't cost quite a bit more than the average phone app. In some cases this will be justified by more functionality, in others just the natural desire of developers to get more money if people will pay for it.

As far as availability goes, the iPad is still pretty new. There are far more and varied apps available for the iPhone and iPod touch. When limiting yourself to iPad apps it's kind of the reverse of the usual Marked vs App Store comparison. Again, when we actually have tablet software this will be a more realistic comparison.

Do I expect the App Store to suddenly be cheaper or on par with the Market's pricing? Heck no. At least not for a good while. Both developers and Android users labor under the belief that Android users won't pay much. Until that changes the Market will be limited to both a smaller number of developers and by how much time and money those developers will invest in the Market.

I give it at least a year before things start to even out a bit on the developer front. Until then Android users are going to be in the same boat as Apple users have been in for years. Most new stuff will come out on iPhone, and only be ported when it's proved profitable enough to chance the smaller market. A small number of outstanding programs will come out on Android, and be ported back to iPhones. That's because innovators often recognize the greater chance of being recognized in smaller markets, that small markets often have a higher percentage of first adopters, and the potential to grow your brand alongside the new market.

I realize that this sounds like the primo reason for developers to move to Android, but that is only true for innovators and risk takers. The safe money is still in the iPhone market where people have proven they will pay for a decent app.