Why the Droid X over iPhone

rayne58

Reaction score
For me its the option of customization every phone looks the same minus a background lol and even a rooted iphone with "widgets" arnt even nice looking, i have 5 friends with phone 4's and they are all jealous of my X lol I <3 it im sticking with android's forever.

Though to me honestly it isn't for everyone the droid x fresh out of the box personally I don't think is as quick and snappy as the iphone now that I am runnin liberty its way faster imo but I think for people that dont really want or need the customization and don't like sitting there messing with there phone to me its fun but to others its annoying and they want something that will just work like an iphone. just my 2 cents

Last edited:

xush

Reaction score
The iPhone wasn't an option yet for me- otherwise I think I probably would've gotten one. I switched from PC's to Macs a few years ago & have been really happy with the reliability. When I upgraded (my wife & I were having nothing but trouble w our Eris phones) the X specs looked best to me.

I was a little worried about the size, but that's worked out fine. I like how customizable it is & it would be really hard to go to a smaller screen. I'd also have a hard time giving up Google Navigation, looks like the iphone falls short there, presently. I am very disappointed with the X's camera though.

None of my friends with iPhones have complaints, and I don't feel like I can really compare the two unless I've had both for a while. I will probably get an iphone for my wife eventually, she doesn't care about rooting or customizing, but a better camera would definitely make her happy.

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
It's fairly easy to build and deploy apps on my DroidX. See my post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-app-developers/110690-permissions-my-first-android-app.html

On the iPhone, I believe one needs to pay Apple some kind of Developer fee before the app can be deployed to your iPhone.
With either phone, you can also run the developed app under their respective Emulator for debugging, etc.

However, the iPhone, like my former Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone, does not reboot on its own like my DroidX does occasionally :(
I don't think BlackBerrys reboot at their own will too. :)

These DroidX reboots have been reported by many Android users, and seems to have started after 2.2

But I've been a developer, so I'm used to things rebooting, though not always unexpected reboots... but this may totally piss off end-users who have never had to deal with buggy software.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

yesss i hate these reboots. i get them once in a while in the middle of a call now ended up causing an argument with my gf once cause it took so long for me to call her back lol.

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
For me its the option of customization every phone looks the same minus a background lol and even a rooted iphone with "widgets" arnt even nice looking, i have 5 friends with phone 4's and they are all jealous of my X lol I <3 it im sticking with android's forever.

Though to me honestly it isn't for everyone the droid x fresh out of the box personally I don't think is as quick and snappy as the iphone now that I am runnin liberty its way faster imo but I think for people that dont really want or need the customization and don't like sitting there messing with there phone to me its fun but to others its annoying and they want something that will just work like an iphone. just my 2 cents

yea exactly fresh out of the box this phone isnt what it can be and i dont know why i waited over 4 months to flash a custom rom. i love custom roms so much i talked my gf into letting me flash cyanogenmod 7 on her mytouch4g (just annoyed me seeing sense on it) and since running a custom rom my desire to go to apple is so little now.

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
Also iPhone 4 nor 5 will have 4g

You have a source for the statement that the iPhone 5 will not be LTE on VZW?
No i dont but i am betting that it wont. Apple has been known to be slow to adapt to these things. They always make excuses for battery life not being good enough thats y it took them so long to add multitasking. and remember the original iphone didnt have 3g and there was no reason for them not to put it in. so i dont think u will see 4g on the iPhone till iPhone 6 which Im guessing will be called iPhone 4G

ajb3985

Reaction score
Im betting theres a better chance itll be called iphone 6 than 4g. For marketing purposes, it would make the general public think they were going backwards. And ill add my 2 cents and say the 4g chip will be included. Iphone wont go another 16 months when you have moto and htc coming out with 4g phones in a couple months

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

GeXX

Reaction score
Screen Size, standard micro usb charger, (my headset, kindle, phone, and I am sure a few other devices use) if I need a cable for some reason, it's easy enough for me to find one. Heck my portable usb drives use the same cable (and I have used them in a bind)

Interchangeable battery, Interchangeable memory cards. If my phone decides to take a crap, all I need to do is pull the memory card out and I get my stuff back, on a iphone if it decides to take a crap I am screwed, no way to get it back. I think that motorola has one of the best speakers in the industry on phones.

Whenever I use a iphone it feels unorganized. The programs are listed in the order that they were installed, it's hard to find the settings unless you already know where it's at. On an android phone, I just pull up the menu all the apps are in alphabetical order, settings is one button push to it. if itunes decides to one day have a hissy and wipe my contacts, or revert them to a previous backup (which I have seen happen) then I'd be pissed.

I've talked to several people with a iphone and all personal contact sync happens via itunes. If they decided to get a new iphone, then they have to do something to make sure that the contacts don't get overwritten. If my computer decides to take a crap, and I just happen to have to replace my phone at the same time (murphy's law) with android I am not at the mercy of a itunes backup to bring my phone back to where it was.

I am amazed with how much bs apple users actually put up with for a "better user experience". How much better can a user experience be than to enter your gmail account and have all of your info sync'd back to your device?

Lets see what else. Choice of carriers, UI customization, choice of installing apps not in the market, better google maps, integration with chrome, and chrome os (I have a cr-48). Chrome to phone, etc etc.

It's really a no brainer... Google has the back end and front end covered pretty well, apple just has the front end covered.

DaddyRabbit

Reaction score
I wouldn't get an iPhone for most of the reasons listed in other posts. My primary use for the phone is as a phone (go figure) and I find the quality of the DX better in that respect. The biggest show stoppers for me though are:

- No SD card support. You are stuck with what you bought.
- No user replaceable battery (c'mon users have complained about this for years) batteries wear out and I don't want to buy another phone when the battery retires. This also precludes extended or spare batteries.
- I dont want iTunes on my PC. Downloading MP3s from Amazon or ripping MY cds and DVDs and just copying them to my SD card works much better and uses no additional resources.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
My choice of the Droid X over any version of the iPhone was easy for 3 main reasons..

1) Removable storage options. 8gb internal app/OS storage out of the box, with an included 16gb miniSD card, upgradable to 32gb at my choosing. No dice on the iPhone.

2) Removable and upgradable battery. My X got great battery life out of the box after some tweaking...gets even better now running Liberty Roms. The iPhone only has the stock option or a shoddy looking "battery pack" plug in device...not very professional looking thing IMO.

3) Open source OS. Yeah, the Droid X has a locked bootloader so full customization has not been achieved yet, but it is still light years ahead of the IOS.

Now, there are other reasons as well, such as: call quality/clarity, 4.3" screen, 720p HD recording and playback over HDMI, no iTunes for music/video management etc etc etc...

ViolentSage

Reaction score
One of my good friends has the iphone 4. He has since jailbroken it and hacked it, but can't update anything on it via computer. If his itunes recognizes the device It tries to auto push an update and wipe the phone. Seems a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

carguy

Reaction score
As a long time windows mobile user after seeing WP7 previews i was disappointed with the direction they were heading in and decided to make the move to Android since Verizon didnt have the iPhone yet last year. Since getting the Droid X I have fallen in love with the Android platform and am currently in the early stages of learning how to develop. There are a few reasons why I wouldnt make the move to the dark side now, the main reason being the screen size. Going from 4.3 to 3.5 is significant and a deal breaker for me. Also iPhone 4 nor 5 will have 4g, I will likely get the Bionic when it comes out. I am just curious to know why you are sticking with Droid X over iPhone???
I left ATT to go to VZW to get the X. For me, I'm a big fan of most things Google and love the idea of a removable SD card and the open Operating System Android/Motorola offers over the iphone.

Also, I'm not a trendy person :D

danCBR1Krr

Reaction score
The iphone only has one attraction for me. I am an advertising student and a lot of the editing software I have will only run on Mac. It would not make much sense for me to have a pc. The attraction to an iphone to me would it would automatically sync to my macbook. I can do this with my droid x, it just takes a bit more work. This is definitely not a big enough factor to make me want to switch to an iphone. I love android and what you can do with it. And now that I have that massive 4.3 inch screen, I don't think I could go back.

GeXX

Reaction score
The iphone only has one attraction for me. I am an advertising student and a lot of the editing software I have will only run on Mac. It would not make much sense for me to have a pc. The attraction to an iphone to me would it would automatically sync to my macbook. I can do this with my droid x, it just takes a bit more work. This is definitely not a big enough factor to make me want to switch to an iphone. I love android and what you can do with it. And now that I have that massive 4.3 inch screen, I don't think I could go back.

I am just curious, what kind of stuff needs to be sync'd? Out of the almost 2 years that I've had an android phone I've never once needed to sync it with my computer..

asaunders

Reaction score
I was a longtime BlackBerry user and finally decided to go Android almost 2 years ago with the Moto Cliq XT. That was a great transition but JEEZ, when I went to the Droid X, I was very pleased with the screen size and the flash as well. I have not taken the Root plunge because I'm not familiar with the process (go figure since I'm an IT Admin...lol) but as long as this forum is up, I will go for it eventually (will require handholding because I dont want to brick my X...lol)

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
As a long time windows mobile user after seeing WP7 previews i was disappointed with the direction they were heading in and decided to make the move to Android since Verizon didnt have the iPhone yet last year. Since getting the Droid X I have fallen in love with the Android platform and am currently in the early stages of learning how to develop. There are a few reasons why I wouldnt make the move to the dark side now, the main reason being the screen size. Going from 4.3 to 3.5 is significant and a deal breaker for me. Also iPhone 4 nor 5 will have 4g, I will likely get the Bionic when it comes out. I am just curious to know why you are sticking with Droid X over iPhone???
I left ATT to go to VZW to get the X. For me, I'm a big fan of most things Google and love the idea of a removable SD card and the open Operating System Android/Motorola offers over the iphone.

Also, I'm not a trendy person :D

You mention not being trendy, that's a great point. I hate the fact that so many people have an iPhone and I've only seen maybe about 5 X's around. I love pulling it out and not everyone knowing what it is.