Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
720p Video Capture Comparison, iPhone 4 v. DROID X

by Andrew Munchbach on June 25th, 2010 at 2:26pm

We’ve taken the video cameras of the DROID X and iPhone 4 for a spin, as we wanted to see what 720p looked like on the latest offerings from both Motorola and Apple. Our rudimentary results are in, and the winner is…the iPhone 4. The DROID X records 720p video at 24 fps, while the iPhone 4 records at 30 fps. While 6 fps seems negligible you can really tell the difference in both the indoor and outdoor tests we did. Another thing we noticed is file size. The DROID X records in the 3GP MPEG-4 format, and our 36 second clip was 102.4 MB.

The iPhone 4 records in the MOV H.264 format and our 35 second video came in at 47.2 MB. The DROID X records with twice the bit-rate of the iPhone 4 which accounts for some of the difference in file sizes. The DROID X did beat out the iPhone 4 in color accuracy and audio recording quality. Hit the jump, as we’ve got a few videos and screenshots ready for your scrutiny. Make sure to set the video to play in full 720p!

First up is the indoor test; we have the iPhone 4 filming the DROID X, then the DROID X filming the iPhone 4.

[video=youtube;-Qh19ULndao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qh19ULndao&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - DROID X, iPhone 4 Video Capture Comparison[/video]

Now we have the DROID X then iPhone 4 filming some really captivating bushes outside my house. Sundance here I come.

[video=youtube;hyrXIhaYPqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrXIhaYPqs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Outdoor Video Comparison DROID X, iPhone 4[/video]

Here is a screen shot of what both files look like on our file system.

Screen-shot-2010-06-25-at-12.12.05-PM.jpg

720p Video Capture Comparison, iPhone 4 v. DROID X Boy Genius Report

phatkat66

Reaction score
Kinda upset iphone wins overall, but for color and audio clarity, Im still happy with the X

soba1

Reaction score
I think it may be in the settings because I saw where the X has both
24fps and 30

smokiedabong

Reaction score
No news here , we all know the cameras that Motorola uses for their phones are among the crappiest ones .

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
The droid X looks so much better outside then the iphone imo..

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read the sensor on the iPhone4 is actually a quality sensor so that's probably why it's comparable to the x's 8mp camera. I also prefered the X's outdoor video, not sure how I feel about the mic recording though. I like the X because you can hear him loud and clear but it sounds like his head inside a box. Whereas the iphone's audio was still clear but there was a lot more ambient noise getting picked up. I guess the X's would fair better in busier more populated locations.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The sound on the iphone is much richer, to my ears. The color on the droid seems a little brighter, but (especially inside) the iphone is definitely clearer and smoother... the droid is 10x better than my current droid, where i can't record a video without the video/audio separating if i move it to quickly or whatever, but still just doesn't seem quite as smooth as the iphone

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only 24 fps for 720p (1280x720).
30 fps for 720x480

... the X has both
24fps and 30

So for overall quality, which is better (theoretically)? Actual HD at 24 fps or 720x480 at 30fps?

Why does Motorola insist on neglecting the camera? I am excited about 720p recording and the 8mp camera, but skimping on a quality camera for their high end phones just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Actually they are both bad for the number of MP they have , I can do with a 3 MP camera but with good optics and sensor . All these guys can learn a thing or two from Samsung or Nokia . All of their phones in the last couple of years had better cameras than other phones on the market at the time .

[video=youtube;bHQs_DpFFoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHQs_DpFFoI]YouTube - Samsung S8500 Wave sample 720p HD video[/video]

[video=youtube;j_z7sAVZbt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_z7sAVZbt4]YouTube - Samsung S8500 Wave Sample Video 720p HD Part 3[/video]

soba1

Reaction score
But The Still Photos X has the 4G beat

Something told me to save it but I didn't but they did side by side test of the still camera. The X wins. The pics are much sharper and the 4gs pics are noticably grainier than that if the X. Also we have to think what are the settings that might be in the X's video camera etc. Look I am a borderline fanboi. But not so much to where I couldnt say that I was impressed seeing the 4g video calling feature in action. All I can say is this u cannot make the final decision til it is in your hands,

ChrisEvo8

Reaction score
i can barely hear him on iphone 4. droid color and audio was much better but iphone was noticeably smoother. i wonder how playback would look on a big hd tv. oh wait you cant do it direct with iphone 4 :p

sic0048

Reaction score
I agree regarding the sound, the voice was much clearer on the Droid X. Don't get too excited about the HDMI output however. Remember it is for recorded video only. It won't output downloaded movies or videos, youtube, etc from the camera.

Honestly I don't think I'll have a big need for the HDMI - even if it did output everything - but just want to remind people.