iPhone 4 Camera vs Motorola Droid X?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by smilepak, Sep 7, 2010.

1. smilepak

smilepak New Member

Anyone got comparison feedback? I used a friend iPhone 4 over the weekend taking night pictures of Vegas, it is awesome! It totally kills the Motorola Droid by far. I wonder how the Motorola Droid X pairs up to it?
  2. Section Twelve

Section Twelve New Member

The phone on the X seems to be hit or miss.

I am not totally happy with the pictures it takes, but I am also not completely disappointed in them either. Some people seem to have gotten some really bad apples, though, as the pictures are ALWAYS blurry, too sharp, over saturated and stuff like that.

I have tested the HD video on it, though, and I can tell you that the video is very nice compared to even my compact camcorder. I just wish the pictures were as good.
  3. cgrimm9

cgrimm9 New Member

I find it funny that comparing phones is like comparing the ps3 to the 360. some things are just going to be better on one more then the other and visa versa . I give props to apple for getting more out of our phones. its funny how the lg dare was kinda the best you could get at one time. look at the phone now its garbage. (it was garbage back then to)

android came long and far ways. and compatition is great. I would take the camera of the iphone 4 the specs and screen of the DX and the freedom of open source. APPLE wants to much control over its system.
  4. debaucher

debaucher New Member

I find the camera to be better for the X on 2.2 but it is still not"awesome". But I really don't mind it as this is a phone, not a camera.
    I do find the video to be really good so sometimes I just record a video then pull stills from that on my computer for a picture.
  5. Juicemane

Juicemane Bang Bang Theme Developer Premium Member

iP4 takes better pics. I doubt its hardware, most likely software and compression is better on the ip4. although the X does take pretty nice pictures
  6. uptheforest

uptheforest New Member

speaking of, why can't we use the HD camera for taking still shots? or be able to view all of the frames in the recorded video? i love the DX but the camera is pretty terrible.
  7. luv2increase

luv2increase New Member

The camera is 10x better on the leaked 2.2 than it was on 2.1. The video even fares better IMHO.

However, it has been stated by myself and other many times, if you want really good pictures, buy yourself a top-end point-and-shoot or DSLR. The DSLR doesn't have to be top-end, but you get my drift. I have been carrying around a Canon T2i with me lately which has a cropped 18.7MP sensor and will flawlessly record Full HD 1080P @ 24 and 30FPS. Also, it isn't very big nor does it cost an arm and a leg. :)
  8. smilepak

smilepak New Member

Sometime I do want to leave my Nikon D300s setup at home :D

It does get pretty heavy to carry around when attach to the 24-70mm f2.8
  9. luv2increase

luv2increase New Member

Yeah, I completely understand what you are saying, but if you plan on going to an event of any sort where you know you will need a "real" camera/video recorder, then simply take it with you.

Chances are that you aren't going to need the best of the best when going to a fast food joint, the mall, a store, a friends house, etc... However, if you are going hiking, camping, athletic event, etc.., you know you will need the best of the best.

Camera phones will "never" reach the quality of DSLR cameras because the sensor is simply too cropped, and the quality of lens is non-existent. :icon_ banana:
  10. EgooEspada

EgooEspada New Member

The still pictures are better on the iPhone 4. But in my opinion the video quality, including audio-wise, is better on the Droid X.
    Either way you wont be disappointed..
  11. Lightninrod

Lightninrod New Member

12. idiotekniQues

idiotekniQues New Member

i know the iPhone camera hardware is a bit better, i read about a technology about something like a backlit sensor the iPhone is using to make it more sensitive.

however i think some of the issue is softare. you can take a shot with the droid x in great light that comes out mediocre but then a minute later it comes out fantastic. so i think some of the droid x camera quality can be fixed via software. all in all it's still pretty decent - way better than the droid 2 at least for me.
  13. rvguy

rvguy New Member

Camera skills make a difference

I've read several threads about the Droid X camera. I haven't had the opportunity yet to use the Iphone 4 camera for comparison, but my comment is this:

Just in every type of camera, the skill of the photographer still triumphs the hardware. If you don't read the manual, don't steady the camera, don't use the settings appropriate for the scene, you'll be disappointed. The Droid phone, as every other smart phone, is very light and subject to blur from the slightest movements. Steady the phone, make sure your exposure settings are correct for the lighting conditions (use the exposure settings in the menu), use the focus box to make sure the subject that you want in focus is truly in focus (green box) and press the shutter half-way down (droid x) to focus.

Read the instructions: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48609/~/droid-x---camera-use-%26-troubleshooting

I think you'll be happy with the Droid X camera if you follow the directions and practice with it. It is NOT a $900 to $2000 DSLR camera, but it is a decent snapshot camera with the ability to send your photos across the world in seconds. I go on walks in the mornings with my dog and take a photo every morning and send it to my daughter across the coast as a way of staying in touch. She doesn't require a perfect picture, but the Droid X does a great job if you take the time with it to FOCUS, EXPOSE, and STEADY it.

I started an album that I will continue to add of some of the pics I've taken with the Droid X. I've used Photoshop to crop and occasionally adjust the contrast, something you can do with any photo software. You can't fix focus issues with any software (in spite of what you see on CSI). So, steady the camera and focus. (We need a tripod mount for it!)

Droid X Photos - Wild and Scenic Photos of James N Perdue (RV Guys and RV Interactive)
  14. bgillyjcu

bgillyjcu New Member

Every single picture on my blog has been taken with the Droid X. If you want proof that it does a good job just check it out.
  15. Section Twelve

Do you see how all of your images have that "foggy" effect to them?

That is how ALL of my pictures come out.

Yes, the lens is clean.
    Yes, the settings have been adjusted properly when needed.
    Yes, I am somewhat unhappy with the camera. However, I did not get the phone for the camera so I rarely complain.
  16. rvguy

rvguy New Member

Foggy pictures

First I don't think that ALL of his Droid X photos are foggy. What you refer to is a contrast issue, often caused by shooting into the light which disperses in the air and gives you that foggy look. That has nothing to do with the camera.

I still maintain that most of the issues are because most people do not understand the issues related to taking good photos: exposure, focus, proper light and a steady mount. Also, a little post processing with Photoshop almost always improves a photo, no matter where it comes from.

The only real comparison that is going to prove anything is a side by side with identical conditions comparison with other phone cameras.
  17. Section Twelve

Sorry, but I know the difference between a fogged over look and a contrast problem. The contrast in those images is spot on. It's a perfect balance between the contrast and the brightness, but the fogged over look is STILL there. Sort of like those "soft" images many photographers put on portraits.

When we used to do it years ago for movies, we'd smear the lens of the camera with vaseline. No idea if they still do that these days, but that is the look your pictures have.

Anyway...

Picture NOT shot "into the light" at all.
    Another picture not "shot into the light" at all.
    And yet ANOTHER not shot "into the light."

Those are all from his blog. While the pictures are good (with exception the last one, which is blurry in the foreground) overall, they all have that foggy overtone to them. That is definitely NOT contrast related.

Every setting in every environment produces similar shots with the camera on this phone. Now, I have seen MANY very nice, sharp and clear pictures taken with it... but with MY phone, it is just NOT as good as others. The camera on the Droid X seems to vary in quality from device to device.

As for post processing... most people don't know how to touch up a picture in Photoshop, so expecting them to do so is just a bad idea.

There are side-by-side comparison threads on this forum. I've seen the images compared with the iPhone, the original Droid, the HTC Incredible and the HTC EVO. For some, the Droid X pictures, untouched, are great. For others, they just suck in comparison. Like with my camera... NO amount of settings tweaking has made the camera any better.
  18. rvguy

rvguy New Member

Foggy pictures

I can't argue with you about Droid X cameras being inconsistent in their quality. I only have seen mine. Let's face it this is not a top of the line camera and it will have defects. The amount of pixelation at full pixel display on the screen concerns me. It looks like a jpeg 50%. Further, as been said before, the 8MP is NOT the major measure of quality in the camera.

Not wanting to carry this on too much farther, I did adjust a few of his images in Photoshop and a few needed contrast adjustment and then they looked great. Other than that I didn't see any foggy problems as you describe. My point here is that I often have to do this with images from my expensive Canon DSLRs from time to time. Most generally, when you don't have the best lighting, you will have such problems. This guy shot in some difficult lighting situations, dark backgrounds and highly spot lit bars with pictures of highly contrasty mugs of beer (some of them made me quite thirsty!). I guess my only point is that to really know if the Droid X camera sucks as some of the posters have said, you'd need to compare the exact same situations between competing cameras.

In any case, I'm pleased with my Droid X camera as one that is better than nothing when I've forgot my good cameras or didn't expect to find a photographic situation. it's quite impressive for being one of many features of a pocket phone! If Verizon had an iPhone a year ago, I'd probably have an iPhone. I'd be pleased with that phone camera too. I guess I just don't expect as much as others from my phone camera.

Try exchanging your phone as defective and see if you get better results.

Good Luck
  19. Section Twelve

Yeah, I understand that this is a phone and not a camera. As I said originally, I didn't buy it because of the camera. :D

I know the camera is capable of much better than I see with mine and some other people's. But, sadly, mine is a little short on perfect. :)

His pics, though, are still foggy. Even after adjusting their contrast in photoshop. They still looked foggy.

As for exchanging... nah. The camera doesn't bother me a whole lot. I will stick with it since it's pretty solid in every other aspect.
  20. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

I've compared to my friends iphone and my dx takes nicer pictures most of the time. Plus I have way more customizarion options.
Search tags for this page

droid x2 vs iphone 4 camera