iPhone 4 Camera vs Motorola Droid X?

smilepak

Reaction score
Anyone got comparison feedback? I used a friend iPhone 4 over the weekend taking night pictures of Vegas, it is awesome! It totally kills the Motorola Droid by far. I wonder how the Motorola Droid X pairs up to it?

Reaction score
Anyone got comparison feedback? I used a friend iPhone 4 over the weekend taking night pictures of Vegas, it is awesome! It totally kills the Motorola Droid by far. I wonder how the Motorola Droid X pairs up to it?

The phone on the X seems to be hit or miss.

I am not totally happy with the pictures it takes, but I am also not completely disappointed in them either. Some people seem to have gotten some really bad apples, though, as the pictures are ALWAYS blurry, too sharp, over saturated and stuff like that.

I have tested the HD video on it, though, and I can tell you that the video is very nice compared to even my compact camcorder. I just wish the pictures were as good.

cgrimm9

Reaction score
I find it funny that comparing phones is like comparing the ps3 to the 360. some things are just going to be better on one more then the other and visa versa . I give props to apple for getting more out of our phones. its funny how the lg dare was kinda the best you could get at one time. look at the phone now its garbage. (it was garbage back then to)

android came long and far ways. and compatition is great. I would take the camera of the iphone 4 the specs and screen of the DX and the freedom of open source. APPLE wants to much control over its system.

debaucher

Reaction score
I find the camera to be better for the X on 2.2 but it is still not"awesome". But I really don't mind it as this is a phone, not a camera.
I do find the video to be really good so sometimes I just record a video then pull stills from that on my computer for a picture.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
iP4 takes better pics. I doubt its hardware, most likely software and compression is better on the ip4. although the X does take pretty nice pictures

uptheforest

Reaction score
speaking of, why can't we use the HD camera for taking still shots? or be able to view all of the frames in the recorded video? i love the DX but the camera is pretty terrible.

luv2increase

Reaction score
The camera is 10x better on the leaked 2.2 than it was on 2.1. The video even fares better IMHO.

However, it has been stated by myself and other many times, if you want really good pictures, buy yourself a top-end point-and-shoot or DSLR. The DSLR doesn't have to be top-end, but you get my drift. I have been carrying around a Canon T2i with me lately which has a cropped 18.7MP sensor and will flawlessly record Full HD 1080P @ 24 and 30FPS. Also, it isn't very big nor does it cost an arm and a leg. :)

OP
S

smilepak

Reaction score
The camera is 10x better on the leaked 2.2 than it was on 2.1. The video even fares better IMHO.

However, it has been stated by myself and other many times, if you want really good pictures, buy yourself a top-end point-and-shoot or DSLR. The DSLR doesn't have to be top-end, but you get my drift. I have been carrying around a Canon T2i with me lately which has a cropped 18.7MP sensor and will flawlessly record Full HD 1080P @ 24 and 30FPS. Also, it isn't very big nor does it cost an arm and a leg. :)

Sometime I do want to leave my Nikon D300s setup at home :D

It does get pretty heavy to carry around when attach to the 24-70mm f2.8

luv2increase

Reaction score

Sometime I do want to leave my Nikon D300s setup at home :D

It does get pretty heavy to carry around when attach to the 24-70mm f2.8

Yeah, I completely understand what you are saying, but if you plan on going to an event of any sort where you know you will need a "real" camera/video recorder, then simply take it with you.

Chances are that you aren't going to need the best of the best when going to a fast food joint, the mall, a store, a friends house, etc... However, if you are going hiking, camping, athletic event, etc.., you know you will need the best of the best.

Camera phones will "never" reach the quality of DSLR cameras because the sensor is simply too cropped, and the quality of lens is non-existent. :icon_ banana:

EgooEspada

Reaction score
The still pictures are better on the iPhone 4. But in my opinion the video quality, including audio-wise, is better on the Droid X.
Either way you wont be disappointed..

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
i know the iPhone camera hardware is a bit better, i read about a technology about something like a backlit sensor the iPhone is using to make it more sensitive.

however i think some of the issue is softare. you can take a shot with the droid x in great light that comes out mediocre but then a minute later it comes out fantastic. so i think some of the droid x camera quality can be fixed via software. all in all it's still pretty decent - way better than the droid 2 at least for me.

rvguy

Reaction score
Camera skills make a difference

I've read several threads about the Droid X camera. I haven't had the opportunity yet to use the Iphone 4 camera for comparison, but my comment is this:

Just in every type of camera, the skill of the photographer still triumphs the hardware. If you don't read the manual, don't steady the camera, don't use the settings appropriate for the scene, you'll be disappointed. The Droid phone, as every other smart phone, is very light and subject to blur from the slightest movements. Steady the phone, make sure your exposure settings are correct for the lighting conditions (use the exposure settings in the menu), use the focus box to make sure the subject that you want in focus is truly in focus (green box) and press the shutter half-way down (droid x) to focus.

Read the instructions: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48609/~/droid-x---camera-use-%26-troubleshooting

I think you'll be happy with the Droid X camera if you follow the directions and practice with it. It is NOT a $900 to $2000 DSLR camera, but it is a decent snapshot camera with the ability to send your photos across the world in seconds. I go on walks in the mornings with my dog and take a photo every morning and send it to my daughter across the coast as a way of staying in touch. She doesn't require a perfect picture, but the Droid X does a great job if you take the time with it to FOCUS, EXPOSE, and STEADY it.

I started an album that I will continue to add of some of the pics I've taken with the Droid X. I've used Photoshop to crop and occasionally adjust the contrast, something you can do with any photo software. You can't fix focus issues with any software (in spite of what you see on CSI). So, steady the camera and focus. (We need a tripod mount for it!)

Droid X Photos - Wild and Scenic Photos of James N Perdue (RV Guys and RV Interactive)

bgillyjcu

Reaction score
Every single picture on my blog has been taken with the Droid X. If you want proof that it does a good job just check it out.

Reaction score
Every single picture on my blog has been taken with the Droid X. If you want proof that it does a good job just check it out.

Do you see how all of your images have that "foggy" effect to them?

That is how ALL of my pictures come out.

Yes, the lens is clean.
Yes, the settings have been adjusted properly when needed.
Yes, I am somewhat unhappy with the camera. However, I did not get the phone for the camera so I rarely complain.