What were the "old" days like?

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Please understand this is my first smartphone.....

Man, these things must really require a lot of power. I do appreciate the ability a smartphone has but, WOW!, these things really do require daily charging.

I can't imagine how bad it must have been before the improved battery with the Razr Maxx!

That said....I have had mine for about a week and I absolutely love the Razr Maxx. And, I probably haven't even scratched the surface of what can be done with it.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
If you want to see what it was like in the old days take a look at FoxKat's avatar. :p

OP
CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
I was comparing my girlfriend's iPad to my Maxx.......the Maxx is much faster browsing, just as smooth, and MUCH better on the battery! Both were using a 3G signal.

Maybe that's a bit like comparing apples to oranges as far as the battery is concerned as the iPad has a much larger screen to power.

I thought I always would want an iPhone (and, I am sure they are very nice, too) but, I am glad I picked the Razr Maxx.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a tbolt for a while . That thing was horrible with 4g lucky if I could get 10 hours with it

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Old days of phones in general, or old days as far as smartphones go?

My first smartphone was the Blackberry Storm. A fraction of the power of my Bionic, yet had to be charged just as often. Battery tech has improved.

In the pre-smartphone days, i'd go 2 days between charging - but I used my phone much less, mostly just voice calls. Web browsing and gaming just wasn't worth it, same for multimedia.

Caesars

Reaction score
Well every Android I had before this either needed 3 batteries or 1 3400 mah seidio to get through the day lol. Blackberry days weren't so bad as far as battery goes hehe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
CMDRSTP said:
If I had to put anything that was on MY feet close to my face.....:blink:

A little fun history about FoxKat's avatar... comes from a show that aired back in the 60’s and 70's... secret agent Maxwell Smart, the character in the avatar was very nerdy and had a gadget for everything, including a hidden phone in his shoe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If you want to see what it was like in the old days take a look at FoxKat's avatar. :p

I believe I heard my name mentioned!! :biggrin:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh yes you did! Lol!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
FoxKat said:
I believe I heard my name mentioned!! :biggrin:

Were your ears ringing?

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, since I'm here...

Some interesting links about my avatar and the Shoe Phone, as well as the start of the entire portable phone revolution!

Maxwell Smart (link), AKA Agent 86 - my avatar

View attachment 50973
Get Smart is an American comedy television series that satirizes the secret agent genre. Created by Mel Brooks with Buck Henry,[SUP][1][/SUP] the show starred Don Adams (as Maxwell Smart, Agent 86), Barbara Feldon (as Agent 99), and Edward Platt (as Chief). Henry said the creation of this show came from a request by Daniel Melnick, who was a partner, along with Leonard Stern and David Susskind, of the show's production company, Talent Associates, to capitalize on "the two biggest things in the entertainment world today"—James Bond and Inspector Clouseau.[SUP][2][/SUP] Brooks said: "It's an insane combination of James Bond and Mel Brooks comedy."

The show was inspired by the success of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Talent Associates commissioned Mel Brooks and Buck Henry to write a script about a bungling James Bond-like hero.[SUP][8][/SUP] Brooks and Henry took the show in a different direction. Brooks described the premise for the show they created in an October 1965 Time magazine article:
"I was sick of looking at all those nice sensible situation comedies. They were such distortions of life. If a maid ever took over my house like Hazel, I'd set her hair on fire. I wanted to do a crazy, unreal comic-strip kind of thing about something besides a family. No one had ever done a show about an idiot before. I decided to be the first."[SUP][8][/SUP] Brooks and Henry proposed the show to ABC, where network officials called their show "un-American" and demanded a "lovable dog to give the show more heart" and scenes showing Maxwell Smart's mother.[SUP][8][/SUP] Brooks strongly objected to their latter suggestion:
"They wanted to put a print housecoat on the show. Max was to come home to his mother and explain everything. I hate mothers on shows. Max has no mother. He never had one."[SUP][8][/SUP] Although the cast and crew—especially Adams—contributed joke and gadget ideas, dialogue was rarely ad-libbed. An exception is the third season episode, "The Little Black Book." Don Rickles encouraged Adams to misbehave, and ad-libbed. The result was so successful that the single episode was turned into a two-part episode.[SUP][9][/SUP]

Oh, edit here... Almost forgot this link! https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/cia-museum/spy-fi-archives/item15.html (yeah, that's right...the CIA has a page for the Shoe Phone!!)

Dr. Martin Cooper (link) was my first avatar, but he was less recognizable, and didn't really convey the light-hearted attitude I wish to portray here, so I changed it to Maxwell Smart.

View attachment 50974

(The inventor of the Portable Cellular Phone - and of course, MOTOROLA's employee, and the phone...yes, a Motorola 8000X - affectionately called "The Brick", with a whopping 30 minutes of talk time! Note the 2 button side-by-side layout of the keyboard. This was the first prototype. The later models had the standard 3X4 layout.

View attachment 50975

It was the FIRST PORTABLE CELLULAR PHONE. "it took only 90 days in 1973 to create the first portable cellular 800 MHz phone prototype." Truly amazing! I actually used one of the Motorola 8000X phones for a while when I was a Bell Atlantic Mobile Agent. That was in 1994, and that's where I got my three phone numbers that I still have today...all are thousand numbers;

###,###,8,000 (my phone number - after the 8000X), ###,###,8,100 (the wife), & ###,###,8,200 (my son). :biggrin:

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
[video=youtube;wDsURw1rsj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDsURw1rsj8[/video]

[video=youtube;RqrSoaAm91Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqrSoaAm91Q&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;m9E6tTPvLWk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9E6tTPvLWk&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video=youtube;_8eGkvBeivs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8eGkvBeivs[/video]

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And that is definitely the "old" days! Such a great time to live in.