What do you use?

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
NavFree is a free GPS App that doesn't use data. I have not tried it so if it doesn't work please don't get mad at me, if it does work you can thank me for finding it. Just Kidding :)

EDIT: I downloaded NavFree to try it. IMO its not as user friendly and when I try to put in addresses I KNOW exist (my old addy in CA, my parents addy, my high school addy) the app couldn't find any of the streets... maybe someone else will have better luck.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I agree. I have used navfree for when I go to canada or if I am traveling where data is sketchy. It works great but not user friendly at all. Everytime I go to use it, I have to re-learn it again. And it doesn't have nearly the features that copilot or sygic has.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have found NavFree to work pretty well. I use it when I'm in Europe and the only problem I have is that the keyboard doesn't have all of the characters I need to spell some locations. I haven't tried any multilingual keyboards. It seems to find addresses pretty well, but far from perfect.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
To the Op (and whoever else) ICS is around the corner (I guess) but for some fun and excitement in customization the GoLauncherEX, GoLocker, GoWidgets stuff is fun and free.

Inundated

Reaction score
I tried NavFree, and...

The OSM data is not bad, though behind reality. My old elementary school closed years ago, yet it is still listed. (It is now a community center.)

A new freeway exit not far from the house that opened nearly two years ago is not depicted.

But the bigger knock is the navigation itself.

I tried my route to work, and NavFree took me nearly 3 miles out of the way, because it routed via our nearest freeway...out of the way. (The shortest and quickest way is via local side streets, which Google Maps got nearly 100% right...only missing the final side street in favor of going directly to the main drag my work is on.)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Inundated said:
I tried NavFree, and...

The OSM data is not bad, though behind reality. My old elementary school closed years ago, yet it is still listed. (It is now a community center.)

A new freeway exit not far from the house that opened nearly two years ago is not depicted.

But the bigger knock is the navigation itself.

I tried my route to work, and NavFree took me nearly 3 miles out of the way, because it routed via our nearest freeway...out of the way. (The shortest and quickest way is via local side streets, which Google Maps got nearly 100% right...only missing the final side street in favor of going directly to the main drag my work is on.)

This is good to know because if you were using it in an area that you did not know, you would have no idea it was routing you miles out of the way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums