if any maxx owner previously had a bionic, I'd like to hear from you

rumblee1

Reaction score
Hi, very happy bionic owner here. My phone is fast, reliable and does everything that a high end superphone is supposed to do. I'm even happy with the camera which I'm sure is just an average smart phone snapper. My ONLY disappointment is that I must leave my phone on 3G all the time because of battery drain. I even have the Motorola extended battery for it and under moderate use, I must charge it when I get home from work. I was waiting for the RAZR hd, but as we all know now, moto has decided not to put in that 3300 mha monster for power, and it doesn't seem that they're going to improve the camera. So, I'd like to know how you like your maxx over the bionic and why. I'll be making a decision on my upgrade soon. Buy the way, is the maxx handling ICS ok? I know I had a DROID X that I loved, but the gingerbread update ruined that phone. Thanks.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I didn't have a bionic but there are things I know about the Maxx that are very similar to your experiences.

One is 3g. On GB many people had to keep it on 3g only mode and I also always kept it on 3g because I was in a weak to non-existent 4g area and having it on 4g/3g sucked a lot of battery. The drain was because the phone was constantly trying to connect to 4g that wasn't there or constantly switching back & forth. Since ICS I am actually able to keep it on 4g/3g only mode and don't have that problem even though I rarely am in a 4g area. I also only turn my data only when I need it which saves a lot of battery.

Like you going from froyo to GB, the move from GB to ICS caused many problems for people with battery drain and lag. But, so far, doing a factory data reset seems to have solved the problems for everyone that had problems with the change.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Adding to what Tis said, the most recent leaked version (purported to be the update to fix 4G and battery), .215 is excellent and appears to work better in all respects that either Gingerbread or the OTA upgrade to ICS. When you get your MAXX, hit up MattyP's .215 leak classroom (we all hang out there anyway), and we'll get you up to speed. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have a bionic and the maxx.. the maxx is a different animal. Each device has its own strengths and weaknesses.

215 is an awesome leak, I'm running it and it greatly helped my battery life.

The bionic is more rugged, has a removable battery, and the screen Is easier to see when in direct sunlight.

Its all subjective though. What I see as great, you may see as nothing. :)

GoBears

Reaction score
I also had a Bionic. Keep in mind, I had shortly after release and had it for about 4 months. It was the worst android smartphone experience I ever had between the camera, data drops and phone lag. In my case, my Maxx does everything better and faster. The only advantages the Bionic had were the removable battery and outdoor visibility. No worries about ICS on the Maxx either. I'm on .215 with zero complaints. FWIW I also had the Nexus and Rezound as well. If you need any comparisons between any those phones, hit me up in a PM.

GoBears

CaptainSeth

Reaction score
I owned my Bionic for about nine months until I dropped it a week ago and scratched the screen so bad it was unresponsive. I never had an issue with the Bionic, and even started flashing ICS leaks to it before the end. I would have kept it indefinitely. Oh, I was also rocking the extended battery.

I was given a RAZR Maxx as an insurance replacement after being told no more Bionics were available and I wasn't too happy with the offer of a regular RAZR due to battery life concerns, and after having a few days to put the Maxx through the paces I have no complaints yet.

The battery is noticeably better than the Bionic extended, and I thought I was going to break the phone a time or two pulling it out of my pocket because of the weight difference, but I adjusted quickly.

If you're running an ICS leak on your Bionic then the RAZR will be old hat for you.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all, and I was even able to find cases for the Maxx, which I couldn't do with the Bionic and keep the extended battery.

Hope this helps!

FyrJammer

Reaction score
I had the Bionic for about as long as the RAZR's been out. I recently got the Maxx a couple weeks ago and immediately got the ICS update then rooted it. In that 2 week period charged it 4 times. So far with light to moderate use i get about 34 hrs. With heavy use about 19. Bionic averaged 9 hrs.
I liked the Bionic, but with the job i do, i needed the durability of the Maxx. And i think they stopped giving love to the Bionic as far as updates.
I don't know if the Maxx gets Jellybean, but I'm thrilled with the Maxx the way it is.

dietz4ibanez

Reaction score
I have the Bionic and went to the Razr Maxx HD... It's worth the jump if you are itching for a new phone!

OP
R

rumblee1

Reaction score
I still have my bionic but I'm going to get the samsung galaxy note 2 because of its power and jelly bean right out of the box. I had 3 droids. The original. The X and the bionic. With the X and bionic, both were great phones until they received their updates. When the X went from froyo to gingerbread, and bionic just now to ics. They were both great phones, then were updated, and are awful. So there's no doubt in my mind that moto phones are great phones when running the operating system they were built to operate on. But they can't handle upgrades.

mrkdly

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, The Motorola Bionic for Verizon? Well where do I start, I was shipped 7 Motorola Bionics as replacements for my original Bionic which I had bought in Nov. of 2011. The worse motorola product on the market since the release of the Motorola Devour (Blur only on Android OS). Verizon upgraded me to the Razr soon after I bought the Razr Maxx, the Razr & Razr Maxx were Heaven sent compared to the Bionic...All across the board the Razr series delivers what Motorola loyalist love and swear by.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

brunla

Reaction score
I was a loyal bionic user since Sep 2011. After the 905 update 4G became unusable and even 3G went in and out. When ICS came out, my entire phone went into lag mode. Took 5 to 30 seconds anytime I hit a button on the screen. (Even after two factory resets.) I fought for a RAzr Maxx replacement and I love it. Great phone, and quick. The only slight negative is no replaceable battery, HOWEVER the battery life on this phone is very good. I can go through a full day of heavy use and still have 20-30% battery by the time I go to bed. I'm fine with a full day's use. My bionic is gone, and I ain't lookin back.

4saken

Reaction score
I haven't had the chance with the bionic only the x2 and it croaked . I have the RAZR maxx now with ota Ics and I haven't had one issue .plenty of ram and very quick. Plus whirleye's is coming out with oc modules (tweakerz apk alpha) get it online. that will blow your mind,!! it allows you to load modules from app no need flashing to system.. Early stages but very promising. Also the the boot menu app allows 2nd rom load on boot any many more options. thanks to whirleyes such a great dev... my opinion the maxx is the way togo. Battery life is great i use my device all day moderate to heavy use and i throw it on the charger when i go to bed. Moto shows possible jellybean in 2013 too. Keep the fingers crossed

huff825

Reaction score
Had the Bionic from the day of launch, started having issues with holding 4g, post .905, kept calling VZ until they offered an exchange to the MAXX about 6 weeks ago. Best decision I've made as far as phones go. It appears that the Bionic has greatly improved since ics, but I believe the MAXX will go a little further into future updates, imho.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

OP
R

rumblee1

Reaction score
My bionic had no issues since launch. Now with ICS, it's totally crap. Waiting for the galaxy note 2 now. No more moto phones for me.

mr4r4n

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
i had my bionic and i loved it minus the data drops, i always played around ot get battery life up there and was pretty good, the issue i had with it is the same issue i kind of have with the razr being storage because grooveshark cant save to sdext, i digress but, the drops werent the worst and even when the bionic wasnt enough for me i gave it to my gf which loves it, however anyone complaining about speed when switching to ICS id almost have to wonder if a full wipe was done, my father got a MAXX and it got the update and was lagcity, i did a fresh RSD and it zoooms like my nexus did, my biggest issue with the bionic is it supposedly has the same 4g chip as the razr yet it certainly didnt feel that way lol, ive been a moto fan for awhile though of all the devices i've had moto's worst is defintely better then most of the others midrage/best