Verizon’s Galaxy Note 3 Receives First Update, Improves Sound Quality and Connectivit

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I believe it's collecting serial.. Imei from phone..
Phone type and version along with root success..

So you lost root with SuperSu Pro method? I've seen a few had issues not all were successful

N3 tapa

Ah okay, guess it is no worse than Google.

Yeah I had survival mode on and the fake system status, and paid for the pro version.

Oh well, update seems good. Miss my custom boot and root apps though.

Guess I will try Kingo

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Ah okay, guess it is no worse than Google.

Yeah I had survival mode on and the fake system status, and paid for the pro version.

Oh well, update seems good. Miss my custom boot and root apps though.

Guess I will try Kingo

I agree...how much more info can they take ..LOL

Good luck!!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Updated...lost root...wasn't worried about it but would like for the "custom" on the boot screen to go away...And to.get rid of the SU app. But oh well...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Can't get Kingo to see my phone, might be because I am running Windows 8.1. Going to boot up my Windows 7 VM and see if it works from there.

Edit: Worked fine from the Windows 7 VM, guess it was Windows 8.1. As Kachow says, can't say I like rooting my device in a way where I am not too sure what is happening with my phone. I do enjoy having root access back though.

Last edited:

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
Thanks for the info on the update. My phone last checked for updates on 10/15/13, thought it would check more often than that. I am stock non-rooted, hoping the it improves to marginal area signal strength.
I also have problems with previously read emails reopening as unread, (blue). Some were reopened a week later. Otherwise I love the phone.
I use Avilution aviation maps on my N3 as a backup to my note 10.1 tablet. Even my old eyes can see the detail with the N3.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So is there any kind of way to get back rooted?

I used Kingo, I have my doubts about their method. However it got me root back.

If all they want is my serial, IMEI, and model name they can have it.

KaChow

Reaction score
Say BYE-BYE to Kingo, well for those of you that have been following the saga that continues with this latest update. Hashcode for those who didn't know took the Kingo Update, which he and many skilled others knew what we were in for, but the chance for Root was great to take the risk. Anyhow, it appears there is now a way to use Kingo to gain Root, then Remove it after gaining Root, returning back to our safe version of Chainfire's SuperSU version 1.65. It almost seemed like a no-brainer after I came across it in one of his post. Refer first to post, [RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.63 (BETA) [2013-11-07] - Page 22 - (VZW) Galaxy Note 3 Development - RootzWiki With this post you are basically going to Chainfire's site and downloading SuperSU 1.65 in the .zip to flash, which will remove the Kingo apk and su. Hashcode recommends using his Safestrap to flash the zip. I on the other hand am still having some issues with SS, therefore I am finding Flash Gordon to be more effective and easier to use, xda-developers - View Single Post - [APK][Flash Zips WITHOUT a Recovery!]Flash Gordon: an Edify to Bash parser/translator I have included the link to Flash Gordon which it is an app, works very easily just download the SuperSU 1.65.zip to your device find the zip with Flash Gordon and run it, then Reboot it and your done. No more Kingo.

I would imagine, for those that are on the latest update that did not take Root, if you want to, you can use Kingo, follow this thread and dump Kingo ASAP! Clean As Can Be!:icon_ lala:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Very cool. Stupid question though, how can I tell if it worked or not?

KaChow

Reaction score
I guess the way I noticed that it worked or at least one thing that was different, in SuperSU I cleared all the apps that I previously granted permissions to. I remember with Kingo its main point of entry of was through ADB Shell, since Chainfire's zip I have not received any Shell re-entry request. I still want to take a look further, but it might difficult to see what else is missing. As the Chainfire zip works in both Safestrap and in Flash Gordon it's just a matter of comfort in which process you plan on using.

By the way: This is helpful to know, in the future when we get an Unlocked Bootloader, during OTA's where we lose Root, however Keep our Unlocked Bootloader. You can Restore Root by Flashing SuperSU.zip in Custom Recovery (which would likely be Clockworkmod or TWRP(/similar to Safestrap). Just worth mentioning, considering as not only can we use it in the future to Restore Root with an Unlocked Bootloader, but at the same time we can use it to Restore a "Healthy and Safier Root Method".

mcsoul

Reaction score
My battery life got worse the minute I updated.
Anyone else have this problem?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah that makes sense KaChow. I went ahead and installed the latest version of SS that Hashcode posted in that link you had in your post.

KaChow

Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense KaChow. I went ahead and installed the latest version of SS that Hashcode posted in that link you had in your post.

Thanks for the reminder, the link for Safestrap is available here in Hashcode's original Post. [RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.63 (BETA) [2013-11-07] - (VZW) Galaxy Note 3 Development - RootzWiki

Just so you are ALL AWARE Hashcode added a video that DMX created for those that need extra instruction, ALSO the Dev Host link or Mirror 1, that Hashcode uses is the link for the Safestrap Recovery, Hashcode has BEEN UPDATING SAFESTRAP ON A NEAR DAILY BASIS, So get comfortable with uninstalling and installing the latest versions. ## Hashcode has also mentioned that it looks Safestrap will be the only Recovery available as the OTA has put a nail in any development on the kexec, so expect to see more releases without notices on Safestrap. :biggrin:

KaChow

Reaction score
My battery life got worse the minute I updated.
Anyone else have this problem?
Here is my suggestion, download this app System Tuner Free, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.pmw go into the Task Manager and take a look at what is running, this is good to analyze the problem in the short term. In the long term what makes this app a keeper, there is a setting called "start" what happens it is records all of your active processes, everything from system apps, to user apps, and it record them indefinitely I usually record them for at least 30-45 miniutes. Then I stop and use the "Analyzer" which looks at each power drain separately showing how it used energy, how long, if it not an important freeze and see what happens. This great tool to analyze your system, find what is causing problems, how to fix the problems, and everything in between. Oh-yeah, there is a PAID version which I have had for years, well worth it and THIS REQUIReS ROOT. Enjoy!