Android 4.4.2 KitKat rolling out officially to the Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005)

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Android-4.4.2-KitKat-rolling-out-officially-to-the-Galaxy-Note-3-SM-N9005.jpg

After the test Android 4.4 KitKat firmware for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 popped up over the weekend, now the official update has started rolling out, with Polish users reporting first they are getting the candy goods on their SM-N9005 models, which feature a Snapdragon 800 processor.

The KitKat firmware[FONT=inherit !important][/FONT] revision N9005XXUENA6 is dated January 9, 2014, and it sports baseband version N9005XXUENA2 with CSC version N9005OXXENA5. Installation can be done via Samsung's Kies desktop software, or you can keep hitting the Software Updates button in your Settings>About phone menu.

Given that Poland has a huge Samsung R&D center present, this might be a test batch rolling out for localized consumption and ironing out any kinks, but regardless, the KitKat update for both the Note 3, and the Galaxy S4, shouldn't take much longer to appear on your 2013 Samsung flagships.

Android 4.4.2 KitKat rolling out officially to the Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005)

recDNA

Reaction score
The only question is how many things will it screw up?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

ripper2860

Reaction score
I assume as soon as the U.S. VZ update is out that some kind soul will download it and make the file available. ;)

KaChow

Reaction score

Just a quick warning for those of US that OWN a Verizon SM-N900V Note 3, if KitKat is anything like the Update above and you have Root and Safestrap---> this will remove both Root and Safestrap. The thing is I posted the N9005 Test ROM here if anyone would like to check it out, first off with the test ROM it does a complete wipe of the Data on the internal memory or "/" as I like to refer. Since, a complete Data wipe is done it will cause SuperSU Pro's Survival Mode to fail and backup will be lost. Here's the other big problem look at the screenshot above and pay attention to the SE for Android status on the N9005 it says "Enforcing" on our n900V it says "Permissive" which grants Safestrap to work on our devices, if the SE changes to Enforcing I am pretty sure we will lose Safestrap.

While I know everyone is anticipating the KitKat update, if you have Root and Safestrap & would like to keep might want freeze the SDM 1.0 app and hold out until the "kinks" are worked out! Believe me there are going to be enough people that are going to rush out and take this update without even considering what it might do.

KaChow

Reaction score
Just a quick warning for those of US that OWN a Verizon SM-N900V Note 3, if KitKat is anything like the Update above and you have Root and Safestrap---> this will remove both Root and Safestrap. The thing is I posted the N9005 Test ROM here if anyone would like to check it out, first off with the test ROM it does a complete wipe of the Data on the internal memory or "/" as I like to refer. Since, a complete Data wipe is done it will cause SuperSU Pro's Survival Mode to fail and backup will be lost. Here's the other big problem look at the screenshot above and pay attention to the SE for Android status on the N9005 it says "Enforcing" on our n900V it says "Permissive" which grants Safestrap to work on our devices, if the SE changes to Enforcing I am pretty sure we will lose Safestrap.

While I know everyone is anticipating the KitKat update, if you have Root and Safestrap & would like to keep might want freeze the SDM 1.0 app and hold out until the "kinks" are worked out! Believe me there are going to be enough people that are going to rush out and take this update without even considering what it might do.

After some further research on this, I thought I would share some information. When an Update or in the above case Firmware is applied through "Odin" it does a Full-Wipe, in which case "/" the Internal Storage is erased which Root is destroyed even in Survivor Mode Root is destroyed. However, if KitKat is applied via OTA as it has been in the past with last 2 updates remember MJ7 and MJE this did not cause Data to be Wiped in which case You Could USE Survivor Mode and Protect Root then Restore Root after the OTA. So, it seems to be safe on that end.

The big question still remains however, and I am getting clarification from Hashcode on this about the SE Status, as to what will happen to Safestrap will it be recoverable or not, most everyone that I've spoken with seem to be positive that Hashcode will be able to restore it. All-in-All, I think it is a positive step forward that we are planning ahead for this rather than waiting to see what happens. :biggrin:

KaChow

Reaction score
so for those of us who are not rooted, what do we expect from getting KitKat? I've tried reading about it, but too much technical mumbo-jumbo sometimes.

edit* found some basic info that helped Android - 4.4 KitKat

If you really want to know what KitKat is I would really suggest reading this link instead. This gives the nuts and bolts of what KitKat truly is from the Development, Development does not always mean Root required.

This is also why this "Thread is Sticky'd Here" Please ask all of Your KitKat Questions Here in THIS Thread Please.

jamelorys

Reaction score
The rumor is that the S3 will be getting 4.4 version in April. Then, there is the issue of AT&T and Verizon being a bit slow to release updates.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
The rumor is that the S3 will be getting 4.4 version in April. Then, there is the issue of AT&T and Verizon being a bit slow to release updates.

I read yesterday that Verizon will be rolling out the update next month for the Galaxy Note2, Note3, and S4. I am not sure that I want the update though. I heard that it will cause Foxfi not to work anymore. I love my free hot spot.

recDNA

Reaction score
It screws up sd card access too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I read yesterday that Verizon will be rolling out the update next month for the Galaxy Note2, Note3, and S4. I am not sure that I want the update though. I heard that it will cause Foxfi not to work anymore. I love my free hot spot.

Won't be long b4 we got working tether on leaked KK that dropped ..if ya root you get the best of both. . And won't have to wait for May 23...

N3 tap