[PSA] Note 3 OTA Update is Coming...

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm seeing reports of rooted users taking OTA and using Kingo to re root. .stayed tuned

N3 tapa

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I can't get the update to take... Gonna have to spend more time on this. I would still hold off on this update, there is some good Development going on, I know for one Beantown106 is digging through the OTA.

Just some observations though it looks like the SELinux status stays at Permissive which is great news. That was my main concern, as anything else other than a Permissive state results in loss of Safestrap Recovery. A loss of Safestrap essentially means that we would lose the ability to make backups and have flashing capabilities, such as flashing ROMs and the use of the Slots. This is certainly not anywhere in a direction that we want to go. Since, I haven't been able to get the update to work, I haven't tested the (Theory 1st of) SuperSU Pro it was [disable Superuser] & [enable Survival mode] here's confirmation that it works. So, this is good news so far, but please hold off, until we have more people start confirming that this works, that the errors others have noticed can be repaired, and those of us that are unable to easily take the update can find a simpler solution to get this update to install, with Root, with Safestrap, and everything working the way it should. Thanks!:biggrin:

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Great News the UPDATE IS SAFE!!! I have just confirmed KINGO works on new UPDATE.

After Odin and reflashing MJ7 I was finally able to get closer to understanding where the problem lied with the update not taking. If you are having trouble with the update and have exhausted all areas may want to explore Odin and reflashing the firmware through this step by step instruction. As I found out Safestrap seemed to catch every-time I ran the update usually during the first ¼ to 1/3 of the update. During an attempt I uninstalled Safestrap completely and at the same time did not Protect Root :rolleyes:, the OTA was successful, fortunately Kingo did not connect via USB however it did still manage to install Root SuperSU on my device> ADB Shell. As Far As I’m concerned This OTA is SAFE, No worries… except what has been noted…

ripper2860

Reaction score
That's great news, Kachow!! Now as usual, I need you to do something for us (as if you didn't do enough for us already)!!

Could you pretty please just list out the steps one would go through to take this update if they were already on MJ7 and already have Safestrap and SU installed? I believe I would have to re-root with Kingo after the update, but I'm a bit unsure as to what to do before taking the update and what to do afterwards.

What do I do before taking the update?:
Do I protect using SU?
Do I have to uninstall SS? If so what happens to ROM slot contents? Can they be saved?

Then what do I do afterwards?:
Re-run Kingo to gain root?
Do I re-install SU?
Re-install SS and recovery?

I hate to ask because you've already been so helpful, but ...

Could you?

Thanks!!

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
That's great news, Kachow!! Now as usual, I need you to do something for us (as if you didn't do enough for us already)!!

Could you pretty please just list out the steps one would go through to take this update if they were already on MJ7 and already have Safestrap and SU installed? I believe I would have to re-root with Kingo after the update, but I'm a bit unsure as to what to do before taking the update and what to do afterwards.

What do I do before taking the update?:
Do I protect using SU?
Do I have to uninstall SS? If so what happens to ROM slot contents? Can they be saved?

Then what do I do afterwards?:
Re-run Kingo to gain root?
Do I re-install SU?
Re-install SS and recovery?

I hate to ask because you've already been so helpful, but ...

Could you?

Thanks!!

For those that are interested and have been following this thread. I will be putting together a Step-by-Step process, which I have discovered a very simple 3 step process, that will work on every Retail version of the Verizon Note 3. As soon as I have time to create and post it, I will... :biggrin: