Verizon support rep warns against updating froyo to Droid 1 for battery drain concern

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ninjak, Aug 27, 2010.

1. PARick

PARick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This latest update drastically increased my battery life. I can actually use a stock battery that gets me through most of the day!

2. denisju

denisju New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Take it to your local Verizon store. Have them flash the recovery with RSD and it fixes everything. I've seen multiple issues people have had, but everything turns out fine.

3. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,268
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    There are 2 Droids in my house. His & Hers.
    My battery life has sucked from day 1. On 2.1.
    I have a ton of apps, games, I use the MP3 player. My 2.1 Droid got hot as F--- playing "The Great Land Grab". I mean REALLY hot.
    None of that has changed on my phone since I got 2.2. I use the crap out of it: the battery sucks and it gets hot. It always has.
    Now my wife's Droid: She has a handful of apps on her phone.
    True story, few weeks ago:
    My phone is of course on the charger. I grab her's to look something up. It is 6PM.
    Her battery is nearly full.
    "When did you unplug this?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Your battery is almost totally full...."
    "I pulled it out of my alarm dock as I do every morning at 6AM..."
    "So you haven't been using it much then?"
    "I have sent a few texts and was on the phone with Nydia for about a half hour....it's because I don't have all that crap running on my phone and I don't always have to touch it like you do....

I was stunned. And am still surprised by how long her battery lasts every day.

My point: everybody and every Droid is going to be RADICALLY different with respect to heat and battery life. Period. Use it more, have more crap running, fiddle with it alot, play games... like me: HOT and CRAP BATTERY LIFE.
    Use it as a phone, SMS system, add discs to Netflix queue and occasionally read news stories like my wife: Doesn't heat up and battery easily goes a full day.

This is the benefit... and the curse... of living in a semi-free environment (i.e. not living in Apple's walled garden).

Just my opinion, of course. :)

4. keiichi25

keiichi25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, to be honest, I get about 2 days out of my droid. Although I don't use it nearly all that often and of course, it doesn't get all that hot cause I just get mail for the most part, sometimes browse the web, occasionally use the phone. The only time it heats up is when I have it on the car dock doing navigation and I have it plugged into the car charger for that reason.

5. jimmiet

jimmiet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got my refurb today...loaded with FRG22D.

6. joeybarclay

joeybarclay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yea i agree my phone is rooted and i have a custom rom but 2.2 heats up my phone very easy. i have hit 125F just from watching videos while underclocked kinda sad :icon_evil:

7. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Their sudden increase in D1 stock are the returned units for battery and other issues that they have made into refurbs. They saw the number of units being returned and prob changed policy. This let's them avoid replacing with Dinc's or Dx or D2 units.

Their software problems are ultimately saving their exchange program tons of cash. Ironic, huh?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. Ninjak

Ninjak Member

Ratings:
    +1
    True, I agree, but there's a difference between two people using their phones differently and one person using one phone the same way before and after an OS upgrade. Phone was fine on 2.1, but 2.2 killed its longevity. Heck, the thing even died on me while sitting idle under 2.2 which it never did under 2.1.

9. Ninjak

Ninjak Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It'll be interesting to see if mine does as well. Hell, it might actually work better if Verizon did a clean full install in-house first.

10. anewday

anewday Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The battery has always been terrible since day 1. :|

11. wrightperspective

Ratings:
    +1
    When I went to FRG01b, my battery life was horrible. With FRG22D, however, it it MUCH better. Has anyone else noticed that?

12. Panamakevin

Panamakevin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my refurb'd D1 yesterday preloaded with 2.2, It runs somewhat hot... It froze and crashed a few times yesterday after and once today... I am going to hang on to it for a few more days to see if it starts running better... hopefully so, i don't want to get into some of the exchange battles I keep hearing about...