Verizon support rep warns against updating froyo to Droid 1 for battery drain concern

barryp3403

Reaction score
I just got my refurb'd D1 yesterday preloaded with 2.2, It runs somewhat hot... It froze and crashed a few times yesterday after and once today... I am going to hang on to it for a few more days to see if it starts running better... hopefully so, i don't want to get into some of the exchange battles I keep hearing about...

I am having a similar problem. I have my original Droid that I got in November. It is stock and always has been. Since the Froyo 2.2 FRG01B update my Droid has been getting hot as heck and crashing. About once every three to seven days I go to make a call or pull my Droid out of its holster for whatever reason and find it has crashed and is really hot. It doesn't respond to any button pushes. I have to remove the battery and then re-boot it and I find that the battery level has declined markedly (explaining where the energy for the heat came from). I searched Droid Forum but couldn't find anything similar. If anyone can direct me to a thread where this is discussed I would appreciate it.

I haven't gotten FRG22 yet and wonder if this will solve my problem.

Thank you.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with reps you can't always believe what they say. When I had my Voyager, FLO TV was just coming into where I live. There were 2 data plans...$15/mo and $25/mo. The latter included FLO TV (FLO TV alone was $15/mo). I asked if I activated FLO TV, would I automatically change over to the $25/mo plan (instead of paying $15 for data and $15 for FLO TV for a total of $30/mo). The rep said, "Yes." They were wrong.

Everyone notices extreme battery use the first few days after Froyo, it seems to settle down and battery life returns to normal though after those few days.

My battery last just as long on 2.2 as it did on 2.1 and as it did on 2.0.1.

Someone suggested I let the battery go all the way down until it turns the phone off. Then recharge. That worked for me. Somehow Froyo has to learn about the battery it's using.

Mine heats up a lot since the update. Not the battery but the cpu. Hot to the touch with normal use and battery drains fast.

I've had that happen to me a few times, but I stopped it by turning the phone off, waiting a bit and turning it back on. There must be some sort of program (or part of one) that's taking over the CPU.

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
FYI, you do realize that Pandora is a streaming Music, therefore you are using your Data connection along with doing browsing on an hour commute. The processor is going to 'heat up' for doing the streaming and web browsing. That alone will definitely chew up some battery life as well pumping data requests and decoding incoming data stream.

Yes, indeed, but I also realize that I never had anywhere near this amount of battery drain nor heat using the phone that way daily until froyo. It is not normal for two hours of Pandora and some browsing to knock my battery down to 50-60% from a full charge. And that's with the phone unplugged for the hour of my morning commute, powered off for 8, then on again for the evening commute.

barryp3403

Reaction score
Is Skype the problem?

I just got the FRG22D build this morning. Added Flash! That seems to run well. Had a crash while running Flash that I thought would be from Flash but it wasn't. The Google notice (finally got that too) showed Skype caused the crash. I removed Skype and I'm not yet sure but I think my phone is running better. I wonder if it is Skype that was causing my previous problems (message 46). Anyone else have a performance improvement after removing Skype?