Verizon support rep warns against updating froyo to Droid 1 for battery drain concern

srroos

Reaction score
What about the 79 MB full Froyo install? Ninjak can install that with the stock recovery.

Unless I'm mistaken, the "full" FRG22D was created by developers and not an official update, so it wouldn't have the proper signature to be installed by the stock recovery.

esaslaw

Reaction score
I think that is pure unadulterated horsebleep. They sold you a defective phone. I have had no such problems.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, I had both updates now and no problem with my phone at this time. Nor have I had any heating up from the CPU constantly.

I am currently on a stock Droid 1, no root or modifications, so my only guess is that you have a runaway app or tweaked a setting.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I was getting "e:signature verification failure" messages when I tried to install that first while rooted the other day in desperation, but I kept the file to try again another time. For now, I'm stuck with FRG22D until someone beats it.

Just use link 3 in my sig to root FRG22D and install a custom recovery, then you can put any custom Rom you like on.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Needless to say that after a day of letting the phone get accustomed to Froyo, it is running smooth and Ido not have the overheat problem or battery drain. I do have the Droid 2 extended battery on my phone and I now easily pull 24+ hours out of a single charge.

I really don't see how software and hardware can get accustomed to each other. Unless you are saying to code has the ability to learn and alter itself to accommodate the hardware... Or that the hardware can shift and transform it's configuration to accommodate the software.

I'm sorry but we are not talking about future transformer phones with built in artificial intelligence... I think it may all just be in your head.

That's because it isn't doing that, it's updating your system, at least that's what's been reported here. I too had the same experience with over heating and lagging. The next day it all went away and I'm very happy with the update. My battery life was unchanged and I get 18 hours until the screaming starts to charge it.

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
Telling people not to accept updates? Mandatory updates? And as far as the swap out policy being changed 6 months ago, Verizon never had a policy to give you a better phone because you had a problem with it a couple of times. I've heard something about 3 times but that's on a case by case basis.

The ton in stock again are refurbs. they will always get those, because people keep sending them back.

Well, good luck with this one. If you have issues see us before you go to the Verizon store, we can probably help you better.

Scarily, this was actually the rep on the phone telling me this as opposed to the store. Even the store personnel found that odd. The store did, however, used to eventually give someone a different phone after they'd come in with repeated problems or had multiple issues of one. I've personally seen them do so for a few people (especially the poor Voyager owners). But that might just have been the manager's prerogative at that location up until lately. In any case, I'm sure I'll get mine sorted soon.

Also, hookbill, thanks for all the great support you give everyone on these forums. :)

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score

I was getting "e:signature verification failure" messages when I tried to install that first while rooted the other day in desperation, but I kept the file to try again another time. For now, I'm stuck with FRG22D until someone beats it.

You can't just install a ROM with the stock recovery. You need to flash a hacked recovery (sprecovery or clockworkmod) to flash the ROM images. This process is covered in many threads on this forum, but not recommended for the novice as it requires use of the command line and phone flashing tools.

Yup, I'd forgotten that and realized it after I'd gone to bed. That's what i get for being in exhausted sysadmin mode while working on my phone before bed! lol! Luckily that stuff is pretty much easy and I look forward to relaxing doing that with the new refurb. I wish my network at the office were as straightforward as unlocking the full potential of a Droid...

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
What about the 79 MB full Froyo install? Ninjak can install that with the stock recovery.

That installation is what began my problems in the first place, actually. Installed it back when I was rooted. I was surprised when doing a wipe and reset afterward actually accelerated the problem. Although it did cause froyo to act correctly since I hadn't even seen the dots to navigate between home screens before then. I wouldn't have known they were even supposed to exist otherwise.

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
Just use link 3 in my sig to root FRG22D and install a custom recovery, then you can put any custom Rom you like on.

That is precisely the plan if the new one doesn't behave after a day or so. I'd read through the steps some days ago and they're nice and straightforward. Frankly, the only thing that makes any reinstallation a pain for me is the idiotic way Documents To Go registration is implemented (esp since I bought it from their site instead of via the market. I now we have QuickOffice, but hell, it was only $10 at the time). Hopefully backing it up via MyBackup Pro while rooted will make it remember the damned serial number since it can't be entered manually. I loathe having to email them to reset my registration every time I do a reinstallation, but I digress... Having a full backup of the phone while it's well-behaved will take care of such worries, just like imaging a Windows system. :)

PARick

Reaction score
This latest update drastically increased my battery life. I can actually use a stock battery that gets me through most of the day!

denisju

Reaction score
Take it to your local Verizon store. Have them flash the recovery with RSD and it fixes everything. I've seen multiple issues people have had, but everything turns out fine.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
There are 2 Droids in my house. His & Hers.
My battery life has sucked from day 1. On 2.1.
I have a ton of apps, games, I use the MP3 player. My 2.1 Droid got hot as F--- playing "The Great Land Grab". I mean REALLY hot.
None of that has changed on my phone since I got 2.2. I use the crap out of it: the battery sucks and it gets hot. It always has.
Now my wife's Droid: She has a handful of apps on her phone.
True story, few weeks ago:
My phone is of course on the charger. I grab her's to look something up. It is 6PM.
Her battery is nearly full.
"When did you unplug this?"
"What do you mean?"
"Your battery is almost totally full...."
"I pulled it out of my alarm dock as I do every morning at 6AM..."
"So you haven't been using it much then?"
"I have sent a few texts and was on the phone with Nydia for about a half hour....it's because I don't have all that crap running on my phone and I don't always have to touch it like you do....

I was stunned. And am still surprised by how long her battery lasts every day.

My point: everybody and every Droid is going to be RADICALLY different with respect to heat and battery life. Period. Use it more, have more crap running, fiddle with it alot, play games... like me: HOT and CRAP BATTERY LIFE.
Use it as a phone, SMS system, add discs to Netflix queue and occasionally read news stories like my wife: Doesn't heat up and battery easily goes a full day.

This is the benefit... and the curse... of living in a semi-free environment (i.e. not living in Apple's walled garden).

Just my opinion, of course. :)

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, to be honest, I get about 2 days out of my droid. Although I don't use it nearly all that often and of course, it doesn't get all that hot cause I just get mail for the most part, sometimes browse the web, occasionally use the phone. The only time it heats up is when I have it on the car dock doing navigation and I have it plugged into the car charger for that reason.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Mine heats up a lot since the update. Not the battery but the cpu. Hot to the touch with normal use and battery drains fast.

yea i agree my phone is rooted and i have a custom rom but 2.2 heats up my phone very easy. i have hit 125F just from watching videos while underclocked kinda sad :icon_evil: