Battery Drain at Night

danal

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for about 3 weeks now. From the beginning, I've had a problem with battery drain at night. I make sure I close all of my running apps, turn off wi-fi, bluetooth, gps, etc. I lose 40-50% battery life every night, when I power the phone off. Verizon first told me to wait for the OTA update. That did nothing. Today I tried to exchange it and a verizon tech. told me that this is not a deffect in the phone and that I should keep it charged over night and never power it off. He said that I couldn't exchange it. Somehow by the phone being idle, though turned off uses more power. Fact or Fiction?

Retribution

Reaction score
Honestly it really weird but I don't understand why don't just leave it on the charger overnight. Or if your hell bent on powering it off pull the battery. Either way if every Droid does it while strange isn't technically a defect, if it's just yours then yeah it's defective. I couldn't tell you I leave mine on the charger

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you running a task killer? do you leave it running? try this.... uninstall the task killer and let the phone sit over night as usual. see if that helps.

other option is you have a rogue app that's draining your battery. this type of 'drain' overnight is not normal... even if it's not on the charger. (i'm assuming you're sleeping no more than 8 hours)

JayMonster

Reaction score
This makes absolute no sense what so ever. Powered down, there is no reason for the battery to lose power. A Li-Ion battery loses 10% of its power PER MONTH when not in use.

I understand why SOME people lose more power at night. In many cases, let's face it, you may not have a good a signal in your bedroom as you do outdoors, in your workplace,etc. As we all know, searching for a signal is one of the biggest drains on a battery, so in those cases, where the phone is "searching" all night... then yes, the battery would drain more than it does during the day while "in use."

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i didn't realize he said 'powered down'. i'm with jay..... ZERO reason why you'd be losing any battery at night. Something is amiss....

Monstrosity

Reaction score
All dorids do this..some deffect with the phone.. it drains when its off [Mayeb not all bu all that I've seen/heard about]

pushdrops

Reaction score
after TWO plus months now my Droid is losing ALL batt power when OFF

All of the sudden my Droid (for 2 days now) is lowing all of its power over night when POWERED OFF . When on either in normal use or standby , al is normal , but when powered OFF the battery drains farily quickly.

Anyone have any idea as to what could be the cause? I've heard of this but it seems to be with some Droids from the start, not after a couple of months (developing this isue) ?

Also, I removed recently updated apps (nothing new installed last few days) to see if that could be the cause (I've read that some apps can prevent the phone from turning 100% off - some sort of "partial wakelock") - but it's still doing this.

Sometimes at home since Verizon's signal is super weak I forward my Droid to my home phone, then turn it off - now I can't do this as the battery is 100% dead in an hour so so.

I guess I will try a factory reset before bringing to Verizon - unless I can find some other info online.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
All of the sudden my Droid (for 2 days now) is lowing all of its power over night when POWERED OFF . When on either in normal use or standby , al is normal , but when powered OFF the battery drains farily quickly.

Anyone have any idea as to what could be the cause? I've heard of this but it seems to be with some Droids from the start, not after a couple of months (developing this isue) ?

Also, I removed recently updated apps (nothing new installed last few days) to see if that could be the cause (I've read that some apps can prevent the phone from turning 100% off - some sort of "wake leak") - but it's still doing this.

Sometimes at home since Verizon's signal is super weak I forward my Droid to my home phone, then turn it off - now I can't do this as the battery is 100% dead in an hour so so.

I guess I will try a factory reset before bringing to Verizon - unless I can find some other info online.

Thanks for reading.

Wow. That's just really weird. Not that you're losing your power...that's weird too....but that people turn their Droid off. What a concept!!:icon_ devil:

Yep, I agree 100% with you, factory reset it if that doesn't work then back to the store it goes. Shouldn't be sucking the life out of your battery when off.

pushdrops

Reaction score
yes, i turn if OFF because the signal is so weak at home, it's either that or put it in airplane mode or leave on charger all night while at home ...

one thing to add, i did last week setup a Hotmail account last week for the 1st time , before the factory reset I will remove the configured hotmail acct from the Droid's stock Email app - after reading around, it seems that some have experienced batt drain issues due to the Email app , supposedly even when powered OFF .

if removing the Email acct doesn't solve the issue , then it will be a Factory Reset which I'd rather not have to do if possible. Will find out tonight if the Email app is the culprit - doubt it since I configured the acct 4 days ago and the issue only started yesterday (losing batt power while powered DOWN).

eTiMaGo

Reaction score
it's an android thing really, I think, I've owned a couple before this (G1, then HTC Tattoo) and if you forget to plug it in before bed, well... you won't last the next day...

Though I gotta say the Milestone holds its charge quite well, even with pretty heavy usage during the waking hours!

pushdrops

Reaction score
no something has changed, for the 2 months that i have had the Droid , i turn it off at night (power off) b4 going to bed (usually charging it that same night to 100% b4 unplugging and turning off - because again, since i have a weak signal, the battery will drain around 10 - 15 percent if unplugged overnight because of the weak signal trying to keep everything up and running if in "sleep" mode)....

so charging it and turning off at night works well, in the morning it's obviously waiting for go (for the day) at 100% in the morning after being OFF all night , but the last two nights it's gone from 100% to not turning on in the morning (battery drains completely) - something is def all of the sudden wrong / going on to cause this - no new apps or settings changes either , a couple of apps were updated mid week but not the same night when this started happening ... if someone wants to keep it on 24x7 that's fine, turning it off nightly is also fine ...

will perf a full reset to factory defaults if clearing all APP caches doesn't get rid of this obvious issue (obvious to see but not to know why) ...

why leave it on all night? it makes sense to me to charge it up to 100% and then unplug the charger and turn OFF the phone b4 bedtime so that it's at 100% when turning on in the morning , why should you not be able to remove the charger and turn the phone OFF overnight ?

Note: there's no issue with battery usage when ON or in SLEEP mode, it just drains quickly when turned OFF).

Last edited:

superglen99

Reaction score
why are people not putting their phone on the charger at night? I don't have an alarm clock, I have the media dock and 2.1 clock (cause it's way dimmer than 2.0.1 clock). that way it stays charged all night AND acts as my clock. why would someone not do this???? problem solved

Reaction score
why are people not putting their phone on the charger at night? I don't have an alarm clock, I have the media dock and 2.1 clock (cause it's way dimmer than 2.0.1 clock). that way it stays charged all night AND acts as my clock. why would someone not do this???? problem solved

I use my phone as an alarm clock, but do not dock it. I have no outlets nearby, and don't want an extension cord running to my bed. Also, I use the body glove, so I couldn't dock it conveniently if I wanted to.

I would assume others would charge theirs as well if they had an outlet nearby, so I think it would be safe to say this is probably the case for most.