Verizon support rep warns against updating froyo to Droid 1 for battery drain concern

Ninjak

Reaction score
Gang,

I'm on my third Droid 1 now (headphone jack issues, etc), this latest one only being in my possession for a few weeks now. It came with 2.1 pre-installed (which it ran perfectly fine with), and I have since updated it to froyo, first to FRG01B a while ago and then to FRG22D last night. As many have reported themselves, my Droid immediately suffered from a severe deterioration in battery life and it began to heat up under normal use. I'd already done the usual troubleshooting: ensured no froyo-unfriendly apps were running (patched Facebook app, too), unistalled Advanced Task Killer (which wasn't set to auto-kill apps anyhow), confirmed nothing was syncing at an abnormally high rate, etc. No bluetooth, no gps, no wifi were enabled, and my phone had great signal, so it wasn't draining itself switching to 1x mode or trying to find service. Plus my screen was on auto-brightness. Nor was I rooted or running a custom rom. As a last ditch effort, I wiped the phone's partition and did a factory reset. All seemed well...for 10 minutes.

Just regular use of the phone for a couple of hours (Pandora, light browsing) during my commute this morning knocked my battery level down from 80% to 15%. And it'd gone from 100 down to 80 previously from auto-reinstalling the apps after being wiped. It's definitely not a battery issue, because my seidio 2800mah one drains as abnormally fast.

So I called Asurion today, knowing how widespread this issue was on the Droid 1, to see what they could do for me. They advised me that they still had Droid refurbs in stock, but to contact Verizon for an in-warranty replacement since the software "broke" it. No sweat. Which leads me to the reason for my posting. The kind service rep informed me that I could get another Droid 1, however, she stated that due to all the problems people have been reporting to them with this froyo issue, they are now advising customers not to perform the OTA updates to 2.2 on refurb units until the situation can be remedied. I was told this upon my saying that I really, much as I love the phone, didn't want another Droid 1 if the same thing was going to happen again. It was implied that this is why refurbs don't come with 2.2 pre-installed as well. Despite all the improvements froyo makes to the system and my investment in my seidio battery, the phone's useless to me if it can't get through a half day of usage anymore after an OS improvement. Since my new-every-two isn't until July 2011 and my early upgrade not until this coming November, I turned down their request for another refurb Droid 1 for now. The best I can hope for, at this point, is for FRG22D to be rooted soon then I can throw on a few custom froyo builds until I find one that doesn't reproduce the issue. I somehow have my doubts another major OTA or patch will arrive to fix this.

I already well know that not every Verizon rep is privy to a ton of info for sure, and they aren't all knowledgeable, but I found it really interesting to to hear that some have been advising against the froyo OTA while they investigate the problem... :blackdroid:

warrior21

Reaction score
So they want you to keep refusing the update when it comes across the phone and drains the battery even more? It is a mandatory update, I don't see how you could avoid it

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Everyone notices extreme battery use the first few days after Froyo, it seems to settle down and battery life returns to normal though after those few days.

My battery last just as long on 2.2 as it did on 2.1 and as it did on 2.0.1.

pilot25

Reaction score
Mine heats up a lot since the update. Not the battery but the cpu. Hot to the touch with normal use and battery drains fast.

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
So they want you to keep refusing the update when it comes across the phone and drains the battery even more? It is a mandatory update, I don't see how you could avoid it

Strange as it sounds, that's pretty much what I was told.

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
Everyone notices extreme battery use the first few days after Froyo, it seems to settle down and battery life returns to normal though after those few days.

My battery last just as long on 2.2 as it did on 2.1 and as it did on 2.0.1.

Mine's been bad nonstop since froyo first released. I figured that the device would settle down like it had for others, but nope. Was surprised (though others had reported such before) that the wipe and reset failed.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I just received a refurbed Droid on Monday and I will agree with the OP. I was having some issues with rooting, installing the latest Froyo and kernel replacement. On my original Droid, I easily could run any 1200mhz kernel. Now with this replacement as soon as I installed Froyo with a stock kernel it was extremely hot and when I installed other kernels of 1100mhz or higher it would go into a boot loop. Even if it loaded and I had it set at 800mhz and then switched to 1.1 or 1.2 the phone froze and went into a boot loop.

Needless to say that after a day of letting the phone get accustomed to Froyo, it is running smooth and Ido not have the overheat problem or battery drain. I do have the Droid 2 extended battery on my phone and I now easily pull 24+ hours out of a single charge.

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
Well, I stopped by my Verizon store's tech area on the way home Friday evening and, sure enough, they're FedEx-ing me yet another Droid 1. This will be my fourth. The worst part is that Verizon says their swap-out policy changed six months ago. When I asked about possibly getting a Droid 2 in exchange if I had the same problems with my incoming Droid, they said that they're not allowed to do that anymore. I'd have to just keep getting Droid 1 replacements until they run dry or until the year of my warranty coverage is up. It seems like they've suddenly got a ton of them in stock again which is strange considering they were running out a couple of weeks ago. So, I'll just have to hope the fourth time's the charm for me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I stopped by my Verizon store's tech area on the way home Friday evening and, sure enough, they're FedEx-ing me yet another Droid 1. This will be my fourth. The worst part is that Verizon says their swap-out policy changed six months ago. When I asked about possibly getting a Droid 2 in exchange if I had the same problems with my incoming Droid, they said that they're not allowed to do that anymore. I'd have to just keep getting Droid 1 replacements until they run dry or until the year of my warranty coverage is up. It seems like they've suddenly got a ton of them in stock again which is strange considering they were running out a couple of weeks ago. So, I'll just have to hope the fourth time's the charm for me.

I'm sorry to say this but your Verizon Store must have the greatest bunch of misinformed people I've ever seen.

Telling people not to accept updates? Mandatory updates? And as far as the swap out policy being changed 6 months ago, Verizon never had a policy to give you a better phone because you had a problem with it a couple of times. I've heard something about 3 times but that's on a case by case basis.

The ton in stock again are refurbs. they will always get those, because people keep sending them back.

Well, good luck with this one. If you have issues see us before you go to the Verizon store, we can probably help you better.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
Needless to say that after a day of letting the phone get accustomed to Froyo, it is running smooth and Ido not have the overheat problem or battery drain. I do have the Droid 2 extended battery on my phone and I now easily pull 24+ hours out of a single charge.

I really don't see how software and hardware can get accustomed to each other. Unless you are saying to code has the ability to learn and alter itself to accommodate the hardware... Or that the hardware can shift and transform it's configuration to accommodate the software.

I'm sorry but we are not talking about future transformer phones with built in artificial intelligence... I think it may all just be in your head.

srroos

Reaction score

I was getting "e:signature verification failure" messages when I tried to install that first while rooted the other day in desperation, but I kept the file to try again another time. For now, I'm stuck with FRG22D until someone beats it.

You can't just install a ROM with the stock recovery. You need to flash a hacked recovery (sprecovery or clockworkmod) to flash the ROM images. This process is covered in many threads on this forum, but not recommended for the novice as it requires use of the command line and phone flashing tools.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
What about the 79 MB full Froyo install? Ninjak can install that with the stock recovery.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk