Verizon Set to Alter their Upgrade Policy

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
im going to call bs, my girl has been wanting a droid pro to replace her blackberry. so we were at verzion in the mall and asked if we could upgrade early. the sales guy pulled up the account and said no. and shes well over 13months into her contract.

There are documented rules for the upgrade program. So much ($59.99) per month, auto-pay, good history, etc. I don't have them with me but not every VZW customer is eligible.

The 59.99 and up plans allowed for Annual Upgrades on the 24 month contracts... but this new information is stating that this will no longer be an option.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So those of us past the 13 months in our 24 month contract (but not 20 months in) can still use the Annual upgrade this last time correct?

Catch is, to use it they're gonna have me sign another 2 yr contract, no?
No way I'm doing that with this new policy. So basically I am stuck with my D1 til I've run the course of my two year contract? ... or they let me resign with a 1yr instead of 2 with my Annual upgrade (I'll gladly pay the extra 70 bucks if that's the case)

VZW needs to offer 2 yr product warranties if they're going to be doing this... a 1 yr warranty for a device that has to last 2 years doesn't add up, and no I don't mean the extended warranty.... that's just another charge they're extorting.

ima talk to a csrep about that.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think this got lost in the thread merge....Question: I just switched to the 59.99/month calling plan. Am I still eligible to upgrade every year, does anyone know? When I first got my droid I got it with a 2 year contract, but I just recently upped my contract to the 59.99 and they said I now eligible every year because I have a calling plan that is higher than 39.99/month, is that still correct?

by the way VZW explained it... NO. They're doing away with the Annual Upgrades on 24 month plans.

Unless someone read it differently...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So those of us past the 13 months in our 24 month contract (but not 20 months in) can still use the Annual upgrade this last time correct?

Catch is, to use it they're gonna have me sign another 2 yr contract, no?
No way I'm doing that with this new policy. So basically I am stuck with my D1 til I've run the course of my two year contract? ... or they let me resign with a 1yr instead of 2 with my Annual upgrade (I'll gladly pay the extra 70 bucks if that's the case)

VZW needs to offer 2 yr product warranties if they're going to be doing this... a 1 yr warranty for a device that has to last 2 years doesn't add up, and no I don't mean the extended warranty.... that's just another charge they're extorting.

ima talk to a csrep about that.

when/if you do let me know what you come up with please!

rosem119

Reaction score
Well, call me old fashioned, but what's the big deal about keeping a phone for two years? I'm amazed that so many people still have tons of money to throw around every time a new phone hits the market.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Obviously they not commenting on the new policy. But you can use your early upgrade and switch two a 1 year contract you will just have to pay more for the phone.

ipawd1

Reaction score
Okay...Heres a thought for the moment:
Obviously the 4G phone plans and phones will be different: Does this mean if we get a 4g device that out contracts will change? I highly doubt they will allow us to keep running our same plan and toggling between 4g and 3g with their 4g LTE devices (since they've already raped us anally today alone)
So say if the Thunderbolt comes out the 17th... Will we have to sign a new contract, 4g LTE plan...or do we pay full retail [for the people like myself], switch out plans to 4g... then we're aszed out for two years?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, call me old fashioned, but what's the big deal about keeping a phone for two years? I'm amazed that so many people still have tons of money to throw around every time a new phone hits the market.

Thanks to ebay you can sell your phone and recoup some of the costs.

Kbxy73

Reaction score
If I join the VZ family and pick out a phone w/a 1 year contract (I get bored w/phones easily so I like the option of being able to switch as often as possible)

I'd have to pay the discounted price PLUS $70. After 1 year I'm able to upgrade but again if I'm signing a one year deal.. I pay discounted price of the phone & $70?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Obviously they not commenting on the new policy. But you can use your early upgrade and switch two a 1 year contract you will just have to pay more for the phone.

This is the path I'm going to attempt. I'm already less than 12 months from the end of my contract, so I don't see why VZW wouldn't let me resign a 1 yr agreement (as it'll lengthen the guaranteed time I'm a customer).

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Folks, please refrain from name calling other members.

There's no reason we can't all have a peaceful discussion, regardless what our thoughts are on the matter. It's easy to be civil :)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This sucks I was going to upgrade again in November.

Can a secondary line on a family plan change to a one year contract after the previous contract is up? If so that is what I will do when I upgrade again.

corman324

Reaction score
awesome...ive been banking on being eligible for a 1yr discount in early march. now i have to wait another damn year. terrible policy.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks to ebay you can sell your phone and recoup some of the costs.

Dont for get about Craigs List as well. Then you dont have to ship items.