Verizon Makes Contract and Upgrade Rules Stricter; Abandons Early Upgrades

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Soooo... everyone else is getting less strict and VZ is getting more strict? :shocked: Wow... someone needs give them a lesson on competition in the marketplace.

Riiiiggggghhhhttttt....because VZW has a long track-record of not knowing how to run their business.

52brandon

Reaction score
Riiiiggggghhhhttttt....because VZW has a long track-record of not knowing how to run their business.
track records aren't everything. Recently, very large, very old, and very successful companies have bit the big one due to the quickly evolving market. Verizon is no exception. They think they are too big to fail. They're not

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
track records aren't everything. Recently, very large, very old, and very successful companies have bit the big one due to the quickly evolving market. Verizon is no exception. They think they are too big to fail. They're not

VZW has made many changes over the past few years, or TMo and Sprint have had deals, that has gotten the natives all riled-up making proclamations that "VZW WILL LEARN!!!"....meanwhile VZW continues to grow share, have industry best turn, and be ranked #1 for service. This too shall pass.

These are actions designed to trim less profitable customers on the margin. The average customer is not beating down their door to pay $300 to upgrade every 20 months, especially with phones getting better and better. The average customer doesn't sit around steaming over paying $5-$10/mo more than other providers with spottier service records.

52brandon

Reaction score
VZW has made many changes over the past few years, or TMo and Sprint have had deals, that has gotten the natives all riled-up making proclamations that "VZW WILL LEARN!!!"....meanwhile VZW continues to grow share, have industry best turn, and be ranked #1 for service. This too shall pass.

These are actions designed to trim less profitable customers on the margin. The average customer is not beating down their door to pay $300 to upgrade every 20 months, especially with phones getting better and better. The average customer doesn't sit around steaming over paying $5-$10/mo more than other providers with spottier service records.
to each his own. Living in a major city, T-Mobile is more than adequate for me. And they have their LTE up here as well. So in order to save hundreds every year, yeah, I'm bailing on Verizon. Either this week or next

mrantisocialguy

Reaction score
T-Mo vs VZW

My upgrade is due in just a little over a month. If T-Mo had the phone I wanted I would jump ship and not look back. It's a darn shame that the Moto Razr Maxx HD is VZW only. And people wonder why I'm antisocial.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
to each his own. Living in a major city, T-Mobile is more than adequate for me. And they have their LTE up here as well. So in order to save hundreds every year, yeah, I'm bailing on Verizon. Either this week or next

Well, about 5000 customers DO leave VZW every day, but the turnover rate is 2-3x higher at AT&T and Sprint.

I'm just saying about every 3-4 months VZW does something mostly innocuous, at least for most customers, and the natives pound the table declaring VZW will suffer for their greed. And VZW hasn't suffered so much as a hiccup.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
att added 780k new subscribers in q4 of 2012, verizon added 2.1mil new subscribers in q4 2012, sprint added 401k new subscribers in q4 2012 and tmobile lost 515k subscribers in q4 2012.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL

Once I can afford a Nexus 4 (in the next few weeks), I'm bailing also. The prepaid plan I'm going with will cost HALF what Verizon does, and since it's being pared down from two lines to one (the other person has already gotten another phone elsewhere), it will end up saving us about $100/month. T-Mo's service here is good enough for my needs--I rarely make voice calls, and if data is spotty, no biggie--I'm usually near WiFi anyway.

Looking over the lineup, I can't find one single phone on Verizon that I like anyway. At least a Nexus 4, while not the greatest either, will get OS updates regularly.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
att added 780k new subscribers in q4 of 2012, verizon added 2.1mil new subscribers in q4 2012, sprint added 401k new subscribers in q4 2012 and tmobile lost 515k subscribers in q4 2012.

Thank you for bringing some facts to the insanity.

I'd also point out that AT&T and VZW each have about 1/3 of the market. Sprint & TMo share the remaining 1/3.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
Thank you for bringing some facts to the insanity.

I'd also point out that AT&T and VZW each have about 1/3 of the market. Sprint & TMo share the remaining 1/3.
why is insane to take our money elsewhere when we feel our voices are not being heard. it's no different then when boot loaders are locked and all you hear on this site are people threatening to never support that manufacturer again. verizon is doing what it feels is best for their company and those of us that are leaving are doing what we feel we must to not only save money, but in our own way boycott their decisions. your right verizon wont feel it and im ok with that.:icon_ lala:

BMWBig6

Reaction score
I'm past my upgrade date and have the unlimited data plan. Once the get rid of my unlimited, verizon goes with it. T-Mobile looks better and better every day.

I'm in the same boat, eligible but unwilling to take advantage of any replacement credit to preserve my unlimited plan. What do you plan to do when needing a new device? Paying retail price and just adding it to your existing contract?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
how will the Verizon monthly pay plan for phones go? Will phones like the razr/maxx hd, s4, s3 and iphone be available? Would be nice for those of us who want to upgrade me before the end of their contract.

huskur

Reaction score
The reason items are priced at 599,95 instead of 600$ is because of it being more appealing to the customer.. What do I mean?? This doesn't look very attractive... You've stopped with unlimited data, ad now your getting stricter on Contracts and early upgrades...

I see this as a bad thing... I think most will...

Pay outright! That is the real solution anyway.....check it out.......

Buy the S4 for $750 (guessing this will be close).....then I sell my Note 2 with accessories on ebay for $600-(I have 2 OEM chargers, car charger, Otterbox NEW, 2 TPU cases and a leather flip case and a Seidio case and the phone is like new)......SO really I just paid $150 for a upgrade $750-$600=$150

AND!!! You can do this yearly and and still be ahead of the game!! $150 per year and you have top of the line devices and still under subsidy prices.......

wvdroidman

Reaction score
some of us don't have $750 laying around. I'm glad you do but I don't. Ebay isn't an option because phones like the s3 and razr maxx hd are going for $600.