Verizon Lowering Return Time To 14 Days

benb1974

Reaction score
GD Ipoop. Screwing my smartphone experience and I don't even want one.

tbever

Reaction score
I think this is partly to prevent early iphone jumping. Presumably verizon is going to announce iphone availability next Tuesday the 11th, perhaps with availability to order the phone by the end of January/early Feb. For a lot of people if the early upgrade policy is ended on the 16th, then they could get a new temporary phone for 30 days with no intention of keeping it, and with the old 30 day return policy trade it out for an iphone in early Feb. With a tighter 14 day return policy, they could introduce the iphone on Feb 1 without that problem, unless you were to repeat the 14 day period with another "temporary" phone.

My daughter has been clamoring for an iphone for months, although she likes her Droid just "OK". Her birthday is on the 16th, so ...

MrsTokyo

Reaction score
+1

Some people legitimately don't know if a phone is the right phone for them... and I think especially coming to a smartphone (if you've never had one) and an OS you have no experience with, the full 30 days might be necessary to help people determine once and for all if they made the right decision. I knew within 3 seconds that I loved my phone, but I had also played with it quite a bit before making the purchase, so it was already somewhat familiar. I think this time restriction is ridiculous. As it is, you could only exchange one time, so it's not like people were getting a new phone every month.

Swyped like a mothaa

geoff5093

Reaction score
It's not a big deal to me, as others have said I typically know within a day or two if I want to keep it, but before I even buy the phone I read reviews online, compare features, and test it out in the store. Even if I was switching to Verizon for the first time to check coverage it wouldn't take more then a few days.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
It's not a big deal to me, as others have said I typically know within a day or two if I want to keep it, but before I even buy the phone I read reviews online, compare features, and test it out in the store. Even if I was switching to Verizon for the first time to check coverage it wouldn't take more then a few days.

Same here. I don't buy phones on a whim. I research them first and try them at the store, normally 2 or 3 times on different days. This is why neither my wife nor me have ever returned a phone because we didn't like it or it didn't do what we thought it should do. I don't care if they make the return time 1 day.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I see the 30 days as insurance, that's why I like it.

Ditto with this, although also ditto with the previous comments such as "I usually know within a week if I like the phone". I agree with both statements, but I do see the 30-days as "free insurance". Only once have I ever returned a phone, and it was with T-Mobile after ~35 days (outside the 30-day policy) because the sales rep advertised a feature on the phone that didn't exist - a speaker phone (this was ~7 years ago). After over a month, I tried using the speaker phone and for the life of me couldn't figure it out. I brought it into the T-Mobile store and the rep helped me only to learn himself that it didn't really have a speaker phone option. They allowed me to trade it in for another phone even though it was outside of the 30-day window. This is the only time I've ever returned a phone (short of returning my G1 ~4 times because OTAs bricked it, but that's different). So even though this change would have never affected me with my history, I did like having 30 days of "buyers remorse insurance".

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
At least its not 15 mins like Google's App return policy

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
At least its not 15 mins like Google's App return policy

Yeah, that's absolute crap. Half of the apps on there, you can't even get up and running within 15 minutes if they have setup/extra downloads and everything. I do see 24 hours being a bit much, but they should give you ~2 hours or so. Grrr...

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I guess one's opinion comes down on how you buy a phone. If you must have it the first day that it is out then having time to evaluate it will be important to you. If you normally wait a month to take the time to look at it in the store and wait for user reviews and postings of problems then you should be able to have all the data needed to make an informed decision and have no need to return it unless it is defective. In that case you would just replace it with the same phone.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
If they tier data, which everyone is sure they will do, remove the 1 year upgrade, lower the return policy, and charge for 4G they will be a worse deal than any other carrier but b/c they have coverage that dominates everyone no one will say anything. Just stinks.

Most don't use unlimited, some don't even want data and haven't updated their phones because they would have to pay for data to get a decent phone (I know 2 coworkers like that). I use more then most because my Droid is now my handheld computer and I hardly ever use my cell phone as a cell phone anyway. So tiered wouldn't be great for me, but not a deal breaker in changing plans unless something like netflix came up.
I've always waited 2 years until I got a new phone. (see next point for why)
I've never returned a phone I got (the last 2 I researched thoroughly before I bought and before that they were under $30 or free, so hey...)
4G would only be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't get any other service.