Verizon Makes Contract and Upgrade Rules Stricter; Abandons Early Upgrades

huskur

Reaction score
some of us don't have $750 laying around. I'm glad you do but I don't. Ebay isn't an option because phones like the s3 and razr maxx hd are going for $600.

Really you can just use a credit card and apply the $$$ from the sale of your old phone and pay the CC bill when it comes in. I was just giving options to try and help

wvdroidman

Reaction score
ok thanks. Will Verizon's plan be like tmobile's where you pay $100 or $150 then pay like $40 or $50 a month for 2 years instead of full retail?

huskur

Reaction score
Likely so. They will just divide the dollar amount out over time and the extra cost will vary as far as the price of the phone you want.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
why is insane to take our money elsewhere when we feel our voices are not being heard. i

That's your right, I just don't get the whining. If you can save a few bucks, good for you. But VZW isn't greedy, they aren't evil, and they certainly aren't forcing you to be gouged for your service. The vast majority of their customers don't feel that way, which is why VZW is #1.

I think I posted here somewhere a while back that VZW makes an average of $2/mo per customer in profit. The best footprint and most reliable service costs money - VZW simply isn't making money hand over fist even if some of their customers think they are entitled to what THEY think is a fair price.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I feel even better now about leaving verizon. Every time I think I would miss it news like this reminds me why I made the decision in the first place.

VerizonWorkingyouover.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Likely so. They will just divide the dollar amount out over time and the extra cost will vary as far as the price of the phone you want.

SMH...used to be people only financed houses and cars....If you didn't have cash for a new tv, you couldn't afford one.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's your right, I just don't get the whining. If you can save a few bucks, good for you. But VZW isn't greedy, they aren't evil, and they certainly aren't forcing you to be gouged for your service. The vast majority of their customers don't feel that way, which is why VZW is #1.

I think I posted here somewhere a while back that VZW makes an average of $2/mo per customer in profit. The best footprint and most reliable service costs money - VZW simply isn't making money hand over fist even if some of their customers think they are entitled to what THEY think is a fair price.

I have to disagree and here is why. The 2 year contract price includes the remaining price of the phone. In other words, the reason I pay 90-100+ a month for a contract is because I bought the device subsidized. For me to buy the phone full price and still pay 100+ for a device means they are making hands over fist. Sadly they are not the only carriers who do this but they are the ones who stand out because they eliminated unlimited data and are telling their grandfathered customers that if they want to remain grandfathered be prepared to pay full retail for a smart phone.

Where I do agree with you is that vzw is not the only one doing it (as I said above). They also are at least putting the money into improving the infrastructure. As a customer we have a choice. We can either accept it or go somewhere else. It is not verizon's fault or concern that other carriers do not have the infrastructure that they do...it is called capitalism. There job is to offer something others do not and place a price that makes them a profit, something every business do. Profits= money for employees= employees able to buy something which further helps the economy.

52brandon

Reaction score
Well, about 5000 customers DO leave VZW every day, but the turnover rate is 2-3x higher at AT&T and Sprint.

I'm just saying about every 3-4 months VZW does something mostly innocuous, at least for most customers, and the natives pound the table declaring VZW will suffer for their greed. And VZW hasn't suffered so much as a hiccup.
whether or not they suffer is personally irrelevant. I just care about saving myself some $

jseah

Reaction score

You forgot that Verizon also mentioned that they will charge you $2 a month for the "privilege" of stretching out the payments. And I believe that Verizon will also charge a $20 or $30 one-time fee somewhat similar to an upgrade fee.

huskur

Reaction score
You forgot that Verizon also mentioned that they will charge you $2 a month for the "privilege" of stretching out the payments. And I believe that Verizon will also charge a $20 or $30 one-time fee somewhat similar to an upgrade fee.

You are right on.....that is why I prefer my method of upgrade shown in an earlier post. Buy the phone outright and then use the sale of your previous device to recoup your dollars. Or, if I didn't have the cash up front I could activate an old D4 I have and then sell my Note 2 and use that money to pay for the upgrade and still have the D4 as back up for next time. There is always a work around. You just have to be creative