Verizon Set to Alter their Upgrade Policy

jb2c

Reaction score
I don't know how any of you have been able to upgrade as early as 13 months. I have always had a every 2, and the earliest I could ever upgrade was 20 months, and I've been on Verizon for years, back when they had the america choice or whatever plan it was called. So this doesn't affect me at all if they keep it at 20 for early upgrade.

What's the cost of your monthly plan? In the past, it had to be over a certain amount to qualify for the early upgrade. Maybe you didn't qualify for early upgrade.

Gremlin

Reaction score
Hmmm rumor on the net is they are going to remove the $100 rebate as well for people who wait for 2 years as well...

sb1831

Reaction score
Hmmm rumor on the net is they are going to remove the $100 rebate as well for people who wait for 2 years as well...

Let me guess they're going to make users pay full price on one year contracts too? yet another internet rumor with no backing as far as I'm concerned.

Gremlin

Reaction score
saw this on news and weather app on the phone in the business section this morning.. I looked for the link again, it already got updated so i missed the website...

Abby Normal

Reaction score
None of this makes any sense to me......

I got this message from Verizon this morning...

"Want a new Phone?
Upgrade EARLY at lowest Promotional Prices with new 2-yr renewal.

For details call 877-387-9458 today ! ":icon_eek:

So today is one year since I got my Droid 1... and I got it with a new 2-year contract.....

I thought they weren't doing any of this anymore ?????

linkboy

Reaction score
According to Verizon, my new every 2 on my Droid will be due in Sept. I'm currently over 1/2 through my contract.

Doesn't mention anything about 13 month upgrade.

I'm probably going to use my upgrade in Sept to get my wife an iPhone (she had one when she was with AT&T and she hates her LG ally with a passion).

I'm good with my Droid until Feb 12, when her contract is up.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm probably going to use my upgrade in Sept to get my wife an iPhone (she had one when she was with AT&T and she hates her LG ally with a passion).

That's so funny, I'm ordering the iPhone for my wife to replace her Ally. God that phone is a piece.

And before the sarcasm starts, I'm talking about the Ally being a piece, thank you. :rofl2:

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Everyone in contract before jan 16 doesn't have to worry about the change until after their next upgrade/extension. Then they will be bound by the new rules...

jb2c

Reaction score
Everyone in contract before jan 16 doesn't have to worry about the change until after their next upgrade/extension. Then they will be bound by the new rules...

If that's the case, then why does 'My Verizon' show that I can't upgrade till August 2012? I just got my phone in December 2010. And I got it with the understanding that I could upgrade after 12 months. I talked with them specifically about that (actually we discussed upgrading after 13 months). I figured the new CES phones wouldn't be out in time for me to get one I really wanted, and I had to go ahead and get a phone. So the upgrade in a year was important to me.

Does it seem fair to anyone else that they can change the rules of the game AFTER I sign up with them? If something is a well known, common marketplace practice, then the courts can and often do recognize it as an implied contract. I'm sure VZW knows that. So I would guess you'd see some fair amount of flexibility on their part a year from now.

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
:icon_eek:

If that's the case, then why does 'My Verizon' show that I can't upgrade till August 2012? I just got my phone in December 2010. And I got it with the understanding that I could upgrade after 12 months. I talked with them specifically about that (actually we discussed upgrading after 13 months). I figured the new CES phones wouldn't be out in time for me to get one I really wanted, and I had to go ahead and get a phone. So the upgrade in a year was important to me.

FWIW, VZW has always shown the "official" upgrade date in My Verizon, never the "unofficial" early upgrade date.

prenedo

Reaction score

Does it seem fair to anyone else that they can change the rules of the game AFTER I sign up with them? If something is a well known, common marketplace practice, then the courts can and often do recognize it as an implied contract. I'm sure VZW knows that. So I would guess you'd see some fair amount of flexibility on their part a year from now.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I need to go to Verizon to clarify this, as I will not wait two years for a 4g phone.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

AtreyuRock

Reaction score
I don't know how any of you have been able to upgrade as early as 13 months. I have always had a every 2, and the earliest I could ever upgrade was 20 months, and I've been on Verizon for years, back when they had the america choice or whatever plan it was called. So this doesn't affect me at all if they keep it at 20 for early upgrade.

What's the cost of your monthly plan? In the past, it had to be over a certain amount to qualify for the early upgrade. Maybe you didn't qualify for early upgrade.

Prior to my DX, I had 799 minutes from a grandfathered plan that was 59.99 plus 15 dollars texting, -19%.

Since August of 2010, 59.99 450 minutes/unlimited text -19%, 29.99 unlimited data plan, and 7.99 insurance/warranty combo.

OyVOid

Reaction score
I spoke to a Verizon Rep yesterday about the NE2 plan changes. I got my original droid in Nov 2009. He said I qualify for a new phone this July 2011. Under the new policy, we all lose the NE2 $30 credit towards the phone upgrade but still get the $100 manufactor's mail in rebate.

Overall, I don't think it will rock my boat that much.